INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why have my files moved?  (Read 1224 times)

toddelving

• Junior Woodchuck
Why have my files moved?
« on: October 06, 2014, 01:51:23 am »

So now my HD files have moved to JRiver Conversion Cache?
I run windows Seven.
I paid quite a bit of money for this player and all I am doing is having problems. No one has answered my question why I cannot get my Ipod to work either!
I would just like everything to work as it should.
So can someoen tell me why my HD files that I puirchased from HD tracks moved from my External drive to my main C drive in the JRiver Conversion Cache and how can I fix it!
Thanks
Thank you

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Why have my files moved?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 02:04:47 am »

?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:16:47 am »

MC won't move your files unless you tell it to.

Check the setting for file location in the downloader.

A conversion cache is used when you want to load a handheld device or phone and a conversion is required AND you have asked MC to cache files it has converted.  That is a setting in MC.

Options has a search window at the bottom.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 08:07:10 am »

I'm sorry that you're having difficulty.  As Jim mentioned, MC does not, under ANY circumstances, move files without explicit user interaction.  It is possible that you moved them without understanding what you were doing, I suppose, though you would have likely had to work at it quite a bit.

If you'd like assistance, we'll need more information on what happened, where the paths were, if the files are actually on disk, and generally a bunch more details.

The Conversion Cache feature does not move files, it creates copies.  The idea is that when you sync to a handheld, and MC needs to convert the files in order for the handheld to support them (or just to save space, etc), it can cache these converted files "off to the side" so that next time you sync the same files over, it doesn't have to do the conversion again.  This, obviously, greatly speeds up future syncs if the vast majority of the files have already been converted and just need to be copied over to the device again.  This convenience comes at the expense of disk space, of course, because it makes copies.

When MC makes a converted copy that it stores in the cache, it generally imports the converted file and "stacks" it with the original source file.  More info:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stacks

MC will never automatically move files into the Conversion Cache (or anywhere).  And it will never delete the source files when you do a handheld conversion.  It is possible that you found the duplicates and were confused and deleted the sources.  It is also possible that you have the Stacks expanded (which makes each copy show up separately) and you just happen to be looking at the duplicates in the Conversion Cache directory, rather than the sources.

Essentially, the only ways to make MC move files are:

1. To use Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy Files.
2. To manually move the folders or files yourself in Drives & Devices under the Tree.
3. To manually change the [Filename] field in MC's database for a file or set of files.

All of which require you to do something explicitly to move them.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:30:04 am »

No one has answered my question why I cannot get my Ipod to work either!

I glanced at your other posts, and it appears that you are converting your files for load on to the iPod.  I suspect that what you are seeing is indeed the cached converted versions of these files and your original files are still where you put them. 

I can't help with your iPod issue, but I suggest that you pick one of the multiple posts that you started in that section and provide as much detail as possible on what you are trying to do and what you have done so far to try to do it.  Also, give people a little time to read and respond.  I find that posts on Friday and Saturday usually don't even get seen by the 'experts' until Monday/Tuesday.

lendall

• Recent member
  • Pour notre Malheur, le monde est réel
Re: Why have my files moved? CONVERSION CACHES
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:18:23 pm »

I was getting confused by this as well -- not understanding why there were so many duplicate files.  So now I am experimenting with moving my JRiver Conversion Cache(s) to a drive where there is more space.
Intel D975XBX2
Intel Quad Core 2 Extreme 06800 2.93Ghz
MAudio Audiophile Sound Card
XP, SP3
Preamplifier:  6SN7, all stages regulated, stepped attenuator; D.T.N. Williamson Amplifier, 12SN7, 6SN7, 807W (push-pull), Acrosound transformers  initial gain stage with regulated filaments; Speakers Cary Audio (3 way); System B:  Bottlehead Paramour amps with iron upgrade, nos RCA 2A3s; Bottlehead "Sex" speakers (Fostex FE 166E's, two Dayton Audio powered 10" subwoofers).
Pages: [1]   Go Up