INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plays through laptop speakers, no sound through system  (Read 1527 times)

madalykat

Plays through laptop speakers, no sound through system
« on: April 05, 2015, 10:02:50 pm »

MC20 works great until I plug it into my system.  All components read and seem to be set properly, but the sound will only come through laptop speakers. WMP works fine through same system.  I've reread the wiki, the answer doesn't appear to me...

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Plays through laptop speakers, no sound through system
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 10:58:49 pm »

error
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 07:23:07 am »

In MC's audio options, you must choose an audio device.

If any software on your system uses "Exclusive" mode, MC won't be able to share that output.

The Audio Setup topic on the wiki may help.

madalykat

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:52:11 pm »

Read wiki, chose wasapi, no exclusivity, MC20 shown as playback device.  Windows 8.1 

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 09:41:18 pm »

Media Center remembers the output device you previously selected rather than changing automatically.
If you want it to automatically switch, you need to select "Default Audio Device (Direct Sound)" as your output device, though this is not the highest quality option.
If you want to specifically play to your "system" you need to connect MC to it, and then select that output device.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 09:55:13 pm »

MC20 shown as playback device.  Windows 8.1  

MC20 should not be the playback device from within MC itself (and I don't believe it can be).  In MC's Audio Setup, you want to pick the physical device on your computer that you want to use for audio.

The default audio device selected in Windows is ignored by MC.  It only pays attention to the device selected in Tools > Options > Audio.  If you need to use more than one device and switch back and forth, this is what the Zones feature is for.  Each Zone has it's own independent "version" of these settings and can be used separately (and simultaneously, if desired).

Note that MC also includes a "virtual sound card" driver, which can be selected as the output in Windows (called the WDM Driver).  This allows you to route audio from other applications through MC's audio engine.  This lets you use MC's DSPs, Volume Control, and other capabilities with other applications that don't have such a nice engine.

This has no bearing on how MC operates itself, but is related to playing audio through MC from other applications.  In general, if you are just getting started, you should leave this for later, and select your regular audio device as the default sound device in Windows.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 09:57:29 pm »

If this doesn't help, and you are still having trouble, please read through this troubleshooting guide quickly (if you haven't already):
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Troubleshooting_Guide

And if that still doesn't help, please post screenshots of the Options dialog while viewing Tools > Options > Audio.  If you aren't sure how to post a screenshot, please read:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Screenshot

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

madalykat

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 09:58:41 pm »

Excellent!  I'll give it a go and report back. Danke.
Pages: [1]   Go Up