INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back to MC9  (Read 1317 times)

PsychShack

• Recent member
  • Mmm, donuts!
Back to MC9
« on: October 02, 2003, 03:21:42 pm »

I must admit....  I took a break from MJ/MC.  Shortly after MC9 came out, I ditched the whole program for, hmm, Winamp I think it was.  Then, a few weeks ago, I tried switching to MusicMatch.  I was not all that happy with it, but I was interested when their store came out.

However, their store is strictly restricted (yeah, redundant) to their software, and the downloads can only be sorted in the library by their original tags (which cannot be changed).

I am now back to MC9.1, and I must say, the new interface with the PixOS skin is beautiful.

The one thing I am really hoping for is a player which will be able to play songs downloaded from online stores, as that seems to be the way of the future.

In their present state, the online music stores are not great.  They all have somewhat-proprietary formats (except for BuyMusic.com, which the files will play in MC9).  I'm hoping that in the future, all online stores will share some sort of universal secure format, perhaps AAC.

Finally, my one wish (not original): AAC support in MC.  ;)
David Schachner

Get lost in the Psychotic Shack: http://psychshack.netfirms.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Back to MC9
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 03:33:50 pm »

Thanks for giving MC another try.

It looks like almost all the new stores are coming out with protected WMA.  It's a format that the record labels like (for whatever reason).

Our support for protected WMA and for online stores is now very good.  It will only get better.  To perfect it, we need cooperation from the music sites, and we're starting to get it.

AAC is a possibility, but it won't help with Apple since their format is a "special" version (encrypted).

PsychShack

• Recent member
  • Mmm, donuts!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 03:36:18 pm »

Thanks for the quick response.  I have heard that about Apple... MusicMatch's store, from my experience, is the same thing.  You can only play their files within MusicMatch.  Thanks again for the great software!
David Schachner

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 08:13:11 pm »

I purchased 6 songs from Music match last night and have been listening to them all evening in MC.

I converted some to mp3 (just to see if I could) and left some others alone.

No problems so far.

PsychShack

• Recent member
  • Mmm, donuts!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 08:47:57 pm »

Hmm, I would try that, but I don't really want to install MusicMatch on my system again....  I like the idea of downloading off of a website rather than through an inferior software jukebox program.
David Schachner

Pages: [1]   Go Up