INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20.0.93 does not recognize CDs  (Read 1501 times)

patented_licks

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 20.0.93 does not recognize CDs
« on: April 12, 2015, 09:43:48 pm »

Something has changed since 20.0.62, which was the last version that properly handled ripping CDs. Now, discs are not recognized (even after double-clicking or reinserting the disc).

Plus, the rip completion dialog no longer shows results. Click the button and it goes away. Not expected behavior, and there is no setting to fix it.

These are basic features with the development team has broken.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 20.0.93 does not recognize CDs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 07:11:18 am »

Does "Windows" recognize the disk?

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:44:37 am »

Good Morning! Just wanted to add my two cents worth on this topic. I have experienced the same problem after installing the last several builds of MC. Here is the method I must use to rip tunes:

1. Start MC>Audio(so I can see album covers)>Rip Disc>insert CD and drive spins up but no screen appears allowing correction of metadata>Click Here (to refresh, nothing happens but MC will slightly blink)
2. Go to File>Exit (leave CD in drive touch nothing)
3. Restart MC>Audio>Rip Disc (and screen appears with the CD metadata as in the past)>Continue (everything works as in the past)
4. Have to follow this plan when ripping each CD.

Never had a problem with MC ripping which I use exclusively for the past years. Plenty of features, easy to use, have gone through many different CD drives without a problem until the last several builds. I have ripped over several terabytes with not such much as a hiccup from MC.

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:46:14 am »

Addendum:

I got to thinking about the question you asked regarding the original post. I did check to see if Windows 8.1 was seeing the CD in the drive. It is not. That led me to investigate the USB drivers. I have noticed that Microsoft has been updating certain drivers as options when updating the operating system.

In my case, I detected an odd driver under 'device manager' for the USB 3.0 ports. I happened to have retained original drivers for the laptop when I upgraded to Windows 8.0. I reinstalled said driver for the USB 3.0 ports and now everything works as before. I can't say for certain if this is the problem until I have tried several different ripping sessions. I will report back on my experience in several days.

My computer is a HP Pavilion DV7-6163us.

patented_licks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 01:35:56 pm »

20.0.62 regularly recognizes CDs for ripping. Versions after that do not. The problem is with MC. I've repeatedly experienced this problem with later builds, and repeatedly gone back to 20.0.62 to fix it.

Not a Windows 8.1 issue. Not a driver issue (new computer with only Win 8.1 64-bit).

Hope this helps.

Magoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 01:39:03 pm »

Same problem here!

I did report it to Matt a few weeks back.

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 04:45:18 pm »

Afternoon, All!  I was relieved to hear that at least several other folks were having the same issue with using MC to rip CD's. I did not return to as early a version as .62, however. The reason I discovered a potential driver problem was due to the fact that Windows 8.1 was not seeing the CD in my external CD drive. In fact neither the internal nor external drive would show CD contents when clicked on. I would get that green progress bar as Windows attempted to scan a drive for contents. The drive never posted a result. I only came up with the driver idea because I checked to see if there was a USB 3.0 driver listed in device manager. My computer has two USB 3.0 ports and those are the ones I'm using with a USB 3.0 compatible external CD drive. However, that doesn't answer why the internal drive wasn't reading disc's either. When I did roll back the driver to an earlier version things seem to be working. I don't know how MC calls the driver when readying for a rip. I'm not a programmer for sure. It is interesting that if I followed the steps listed in my first post that the drive could read the contents of the CD and successfully complete a rip. Thus maybe there is a lot of truth that MC is at least a part of the problem. I have done two separate ripping sessions today and so far the rips were as usual.

I hope that once the problem is solved we will know the culprit and the fix required so if it is a problem on the users end we will know what to do if the problem redevelops. Cheers to everyone ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 05:44:09 pm »

... Windows 8.1 was not seeing the CD in my external CD drive. In fact neither the internal nor external drive would show CD contents when clicked on. I would get that green progress bar as Windows attempted to scan a drive for contents. The drive never posted a result.
What do you use for an antivirus program?

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 07:52:13 pm »

Jim, thanks for the message. I am using only Windows Defender. I have used this program for many years with good results and no complications with installed programs. In fact the only program other then Windows 8.1 is the latest iteration of MC. I can't say for sure how far back the ripping problem started for me. I have to defer to the original poster that it was version .62. I do find it interesting that I can correct for the ripping issue by rolling back the USB 3.0 driver. A couple of other points not made yet. First, I can see my two drives in the MC left panel under Drives and Devices. When clicking on the drive in use, no metadata appears even though a CD is in the drive. If I click on the rip function in MC the drive tray opens even though a CD is in the tray, and I get a message something like please insert a disc. A similar thing happens on the Windows desktop when clicking on the drive with the CD inside. I would think if this was a universal problem you would have had many more questions already. I think one poster said he mentioned the problem several weeks ago so perhaps not enough folks have discovered it yet. I like your ripping function a lot. Perhaps many others are using db poweramp (is that the title?) instead.

I hope this adds a bit more to the problem solving at your end. You have brilliant people on call there and I am sure the problem will find resolution soon. Regards, RKH
Pages: [1]   Go Up