INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote on iPod Touch - Internet connection - AirPort Express as router [update]  (Read 4871 times)

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

Today I set up a music server using a Mac mini, AirPort Express, and JRemote on my iPod Touch.  It works, but only if the Mac mini and AirPort Express are constantly connected to the Internet; otherwise, it does not work.  Specifically, if the Mac and AirPort Express are not constantly connected to the Internet, the JRemote app on my iPod Touch returns error messages about an inability to connect to the JRiver MC20 music server on the Mac mini.

I prefer that my Mac mini and AirPort Express not be connected to the Internet, because I don't need Internet functionality to accomplish my goals for a music server, and so a requirement for these devices to have Internet connections is just an unwanted complication. 

So, my question is, is a constant Internet connection required in order for JRemote to work?  If so, why?  If not, how do I configure MC 20 and/or my hardware to make a constant Internet connection unnecessary?

My Mac mini is running OS X Yosemite, and I'm connecting the Mac mini and AirPort Express to my DSL gateway via Ethernet.

Thanks for any assistance!

George

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote on iPod Touch - Is a CONSTANT Internet Connection Required?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:47:27 am »

You could read about the Access Key on our wiki.  It uses a server at JRiver.

An alternate method is to use the IP address instead of the Access Key.  Set up a new server in JRemote and enter the IP address.

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:29:16 am »

JimH,
Thank you for your assistance.  A couple of questions:

1.  I've read the Access Key page of the wiki, but it doesn't clearly address my question, which is: For someone (like me) who is wanting to use JRemote *only* to browse and play (that is, *not* to modify MC in any way) his MC20 audio library while at home (that is, *not* from any other location), is a *constant/permanent* Internet connection required?

2.  I was aware of the IP address method (shown as a choice in the JRemote "Choose connection method" screen in the "Add a new server" setup process), but I when I enter the IP address for my AirPort Express (as shown in the AirPort Utility) in the JRemote new server setup process and tap  the "Add and connect" button, I get a "Could not connect" error message from JRemote.  (BTW, I did *not* put anything in the "Authentication" fields, because I'm *not* using MC's "Authentication" feature.)  Am I doing something wrong here?

Thank you for any advice/info!

George

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 08:38:47 am »

JRemote doesn't support Airport.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 09:51:32 am »

1.  I've read the Access Key page of the wiki, but it doesn't clearly address my question, which is: For someone (like me) who is wanting to use JRemote *only* to browse and play (that is, *not* to modify MC in any way) his MC20 audio library while at home (that is, *not* from any other location), is a *constant/permanent* Internet connection required?

you don't need to have an internet connection running, however you'd want a WIFI connection up so that JRemote can act as controller (without issues). Most people have their WIFI and internet running through the same router ... so they tend to be both on or both off.... your mac mini has wifi built in. On a LAN you'll need to check your router setting for port forwarding (at least tcp port 55199 52199 has to be available so check firewalls if any on on anti-virus things you might have running too).

EDIT: typo - corrected wrong port address

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 10:32:28 am »

JRemote doesn't support Airport.
Thanks for that info.  FWIW, I do want to reiterate that, while I realize that "support" is a relative concept, I am able to get JRemote to work with AirPort Express when AirPort Express is connected to the Internet via my DSL gateway.

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 10:46:12 am »

you don't need to have an internet connection running, however you'd want a WIFI connection up so that JRemote can act as controller (without issues). Most people have their WIFI and internet running through the same router ... so they tend to be both on or both off.... your mac mini has wifi built in. On a LAN you'll need to check your router setting for port forwarding (at least tcp port 55199 has to be available so check firewalls if any on on anti-virus things you might have running too).
I'm glad to hear you say that, but as I've indicated, despite the fact that I do have Wi-Fi via the AirPort Express device, JRemote will not connect to it unless AirPort Express is constantly connected to the Internet via my DSL gateway.

Regarding the port forwarding issue, I'm under the impression that port forwarding is needed *only* if the user is accessing his music server from a network *other than* his home network (that is, remotely over the Internet).  Is that not correct?

Also, I think you meant port 52199.  Right?

[EDITED]

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 04:07:56 pm »

2.  I was aware of the IP address method (shown as a choice in the JRemote "Choose connection method" screen in the "Add a new server" setup process), but I when I enter the IP address for my AirPort Express (as shown in the AirPort Utility) in the JRemote new server setup process and tap  the "Add and connect" button, I get a "Could not connect" error message from JRemote.  (BTW, I did *not* put anything in the "Authentication" fields, because I'm *not* using MC's "Authentication" feature.)  Am I doning something wrong here? [emphasis added]

You are definitely doing something wrong if you're trying to use your router's IP address to connect; you want to use your server's IP address (see below).

You definitely don't need to be connected to the internet in order to use JRemote, I use it without internet access at work all the time.  You do, however, need a device acting as a wi-fi router/DHCP server or it won't work.  Generally there's no such thing as a "direct wifi connection," a router/DHCP server needs to be in the middle handing out IP addresses (although some computers and devices can act as routers/DHCP servers, cutting out the middle man).  

In order to use JRemote without internet access, you need:
a) a working DHCP server somewhere, and
b) to specify the IP address of the media *server* you want to connect to (not your wifi router, unless your server is running on your router for some reason).  Using an access key won't work (because the access key requires an online server lookup).  So if your mac mini (which is your server) is at 192.168.1.6, you'd want to enter "192.168.1.6" in the IP dialog in JRemote, not the address of your airport.

If I had to guess what the issue is in your case, I would guess that either:

1) you're using the wrong IP address (remember you want your media server's IP, not your router's IP), or
2) your DSL uplink has a router in it which is performing DHCP duties in your house, and your Airport express is configured as a pure access point and not a router/DHCP server, in which case you'll need to figure out how to reconfigure your hardware.

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 06:30:56 pm »

Thank you, mwillems.  I'm going to work on this later tonight, following your advice here.  Will report back as soon as I can.

George

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 02:28:57 am »

I'm glad to hear you say that, but as I've indicated, despite the fact that I do have Wi-Fi via the AirPort Express device, JRemote will not connect to it unless AirPort Express is constantly connected to the Internet via my DSL gateway.

Regarding the port forwarding issue, I'm under the impression that port forwarding is needed *only* if the user is accessing his music server from a network *other than* his home network (that is, remotely over the Internet).  Is that not correct?

Also, I think you meant port 52199.  Right?
yes, sorry I made a mistake there (post corrected :) ) ... and you may be right about that. I admit for years I've just set it up that way, and its always worked. It might not be totally necessary on a closed LAN, I've never checked without it. Sorry for any confusion.

So first off, MWillems explained this very well. However, as I was following your previous post, where you indicated you were very competent under a windows environment, I just assumed you would have set up a LAN including your new mac mini (and the JRemote) and that this would be set using DHCP in your router. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97157.msg670650#msg670650

Personally, I think, if possible, this would be better to use the airport express as an "access point"  on the network via the router rather than using it to "replace" the router WIFI .... in this way you can use JRiver as a renderer directly connecting the mac to your dac, JRemote as a controller/client and not lose some of the functionality (and support)  Actually you wouldn't even need the airport express I believe.

Otherwise, you'd need "alternative" ways of setting up outside of MC purview. (or use Airplay/Airport for other peripheral devices like Hilton described here => http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95760.0).

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 07:31:11 am »

I just assumed you would have set up a LAN including your new mac mini (and the JRemote) and that this would be set using DHCP in your router. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97157.msg670650#msg670650

Personally, I think, if possible, this would be better to use the airport express as an "access point"  on the network via the router rather than using it to "replace" the router WIFI .... in this way you can use JRiver as a renderer directly connecting the mac to your dac, JRemote as a controller/client and not lose some of the functionality (and support)  Actually you wouldn't even need the airport express I believe.
Yes, I understand your thinking, but I'm doing things in an unusual way here.  ;^)  I have Wi-Fi disabled on my DSL gateway (for security); I use only Ethernet for my Internet connection.  So, my Mac mini music server, if it requires an Internet connection, would have to be connected to my DSL gateway via Ethernet, and as I already have a bunch of cables and cords running between my desk and hi-fi equipment rack, I would strongly prefer to not have to add another one.

I'll check out your link---thanks.

I'm still working on this today, btw . . .

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 11:29:28 am »

After further testing, this is where I'm at:

• I had thought, when I bought it, that AirPort Express would act as a DHCP server, but apparently it can't do that.  (Seems odd to me that it wouldn't have that capability, but then networking is not my strong suit.)  So, I need to have my Mac mini and the AirPort Express connected (which I choose to do via Ethernet) to my DSL gateway in order for JRemote and my MC20 music server on the Mac mini to work.
  • Because I have Wi-Fi disabled on my DSL gateway, I need AirPort Express in order for JRemote to function.
  • Oh, almost forgot to say, I had to go back to using the Access Key connection method (as opposed to the IP address method) in JRemote.

So, I can't do what I was trying to do, which was to set up a music server along the lines of what's described here---http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-build-a-music-server/---except using MC20 instead of iTunes.  The method described on this webpage indicates (assuming  I'm reading it correctly) that connections to the user's DSL router/gateway are *not* necessary.  Note that the instructions say this:

"Setup the Airport Express

To set up the Airport Express router, which we recommend using as a separate router dedicated only to communicating between the iPad Mini controller and the Mac and iTunes, simply plug the AE into the wall.  Take a Cat 5 Ethernet cable and connect it between the Mac’s Ethernet input and the AE’s Ethernet LAN (Local Area Network) input as shown in this photo.
"

Maybe this works somehow with iTunes or maybe I've just misunderstood something, but I couldn't make these instructions work with MC20.

Any further thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  Otherwise, I'll just have to keep all my devices hooked up to my DSL gateway.

Thanks for everyone's assistance!

George

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 06:07:51 pm »

Just discovered some things in the AirPort Utility that lead me to believe that AirPort Express *can* act as a DHCP server.  Will need to experiment a bit with these settings and the Mac mini's Wi-Fi network settings to see if I can get it to work.  Any tips on how to go about this would be much appreciated!

George

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 05:52:37 pm »

FWIW, a final report . . . I was not able to figure out how to successfully configure the AirPort Express network so that an Ethernet connection between Airport Express and my DSL gateway would be unnecessary.  So, I've reverted to the JRemote Access Key connection method and the use of an Ethernet connection from AE to my DSL gateway.

Ultimately, no Ethernet connection was required between the Mac and my DSL gateway, and NO Internet connection was required after the initial setup with the JRiver Access Key was completed.

Thanks to all who assisted!

George
[EDITED]

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 11:26:00 am »

Just thought I'd report, for anyone who may be interested, that after posting my last post in 2015, I found the source of the problem, and successfully set up the music server using a Mac mini, AirPort Express, and JRemote on my iPod Touch, without a connection to my Internet router (DSL gateway), as described in the webpage I linked to above (http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-build-a-music-server/), which says:

"Setup the Airport Express

To set up the Airport Express router, which we recommend using as a separate router dedicated only to communicating between the iPad Mini controller and the Mac and iTunes, simply plug the AE into the wall.  Take a Cat 5 Ethernet cable and connect it between the Mac’s Ethernet input and the AE’s Ethernet LAN (Local Area Network) input as shown in this photo."

After my last post, I discovered why I had been unable to get my system to work the way that this article described: AirPort Express's router mode setting had defaulted to "Bridge Mode", and so was not serving as a router.  Once I changed this setting in the AirPort Utility to "DHCP and NAT", and then entered the correct IP address in JRemote, everything worked as described in the article.  No connection between either my Mac mini or AirPort Express and my Internet router (DSL gateway) was required.  This setup makes for a great system, imo, for anyone who would like to use an iOS device as a remote for Media Center.

EDITED: 12/19

Pages: [1]   Go Up