INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: burning issues  (Read 1672 times)

pbreet

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
burning issues
« on: September 29, 2003, 08:42:45 pm »

Hi,

Just upgraded from 8 to 9.0 and now to 9.1.262.  I had to upgrade since 8.0 didn't support the newer faster burners.  Then 9.0 had problems burning too.  And I find the latest version has other burning issues, or at least I think it does, anyone got any ideas?

I have two burners on my system, one internal, one external usb2.  The program will randomly refuse to even see the external drive for burning, sometimes stopping and restarting the program helps, sometimes I must reboot, other times, I can't get it to work for hours.

Anytime the program will not see the external usb burner, it can be seen and used by windows explorer and Nero.

Sometimes it takes 2 presses of the BurnCd button to even go to the burn screen.

Oh, I'm using winxppro and have all the microsoft updates.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  I'd suspect the external burner on usb, but anytime media center will not see it, all my other programs can see and use it. ??

pbreet

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: burning issues
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 10:15:19 pm »

More info on the suspected burning bug:

I CAN see both cd burners when selecting cd-writer from the toolbar options, but CANNOT see the usb burner when selecting options from the cd burning window, there I only see the internal cdrw drive.

I disconnected the internal cdrw drive and now mj can see the external drive.  But burning is still not working right.  I was trying to burn four cdr's tonight.  I got 1, 2 and 4 done, 3 simply refuses to burn.  When I click the burn button, the burn dialog comes up and then goes blank and then mj locks up and must be terminated.  This happens over and over again.

So I immediatly went to nero, no reboots or anything and selected the same tracks, and nero just finished buring, perfectly first time on the external usb drive.  I wanted to see if nero could burn the files, which was a combo of ape and mp3 file, nero had no problem, eliminating any issues with the files themselves.

I have always thought of nero as the "gold standard" for burning, so I really thing there is something not quite right wiht mj.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 05:00:00 am »

As far as MC "seeing" both your burners, I think this is a misunderstanding on how to queue up files to the desired drive. It's not your fault, it's a usability issue in MC that we haven't quite smoothed out. When you have multiple burners, you should drag your files to the desired burner or use the "send to" right-click menu option to get them to the correct burner. When you just select files and click the "burn" button, MC queues them to the default burner which is the last one used (or if it's the first time you've burned something with MC the default is the first burner in alphabetical order).

As far as the problems with burning a CD, could you create a log file of the burning process and email it to me? Just burn CD's until you get a failure (you can check the "test mode" option to avoid ruining a CD) and then send a log file.
Following are the instructions for enabling logging. If you aren't comfortable editing the registry, email me and I'll send you a file to do it automatically.

Thanks,
John T.

Turn on MC's logging for CD burning by changing the value of this registry key from zero (0) to one (1):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\CD Writer\Logger

Then just start up Media Center and try to burn a CD (you can leave test mode checked to avoid creating a coaster). Then exit MC and find a file in the MC program directory called "cdwriter.log" and email that to me. Remember that the log file is overwritten each time you start up MC, so you must send the file before restarting MC.

johnt @ jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

pbreet

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 04:56:33 pm »

As far as MC "seeing" both your burners, I think this is a misunderstanding on how to queue up files to the desired drive. It's not your fault, it's a usability issue in MC that we haven't quite smoothed out. When you have multiple burners, you should drag your files to the desired burner or use the "send to" right-click menu option to get them to the correct burner.

Sorry, but I still don't get it.  You say "drag them to the desired burner"? Where is the desired burner to drag the files too?

When I right click and select "send to", my external burner is not listed there??

I simply don't get it.  Help! My external burner IS listed under the toolbar options cd-writer dialog.

As far as the problems with burning a CD, could you create a log file of the burning process and email it to me? Just burn CD's until you get a failure (you can check the "test mode" option to avoid ruining a CD) and then send a log file.
Following are the instructions for enabling logging. If you aren't comfortable editing the registry, email me and I'll send you a file to do it automatically.

I can edit the registry, but it might be a few days before I get  to this, but I will do it, I'd like to get this figured out.

Thanks so much for the help and response.  I am looking forward to understanding this drag and drop thing.  I'm still VERY confused about this new "action window", but I'll get it.

Peter

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 05:05:55 pm »

Click On "+ CD, DVD, & Handhelds" in the left tree

both of the drives should be in there.

============================

you can't drag the files to the Action Window where both drives are listed.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

pbreet

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 05:24:56 pm »

Click On "+ CD, DVD, & Handhelds" in the left tree

both of the drives should be in there.

============================

you can't drag the files to the Action Window where both drives are listed.

There is a + next to CD, DVD and Handhelds, but it won't expand.....

The action window only shows Burn CD, nothing about individual drives....

I know this looks like a system problem of mine, but remember, I can see and access the cdrw external drive in windows explorer and burn to it no problem, anytime in Nero.

There is a set of files I want to burn in mj that locks up mj and I have to terminate the process.  Everytime, all the time, over and over again.  Other files burn okay ?  But again, I can open Nero, select the same set of files, and they burn perfectly first time, every time.  This is way too weird for me.

This beta version (compared to 9.0) seem way slow all around, expecialyl when drawing the the screen and lists of field catagories (what are they called?).  Does anyone else notice this?

Peter

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 03:34:35 am »

did you click on the "+"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 05:02:13 am »

The action window only shows Burn CD, nothing about individual drives....
If you click on "Burn CD" it *should* show your two CD burners and allow you to click on one of them. Then you can drag your files to that burner.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up