INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 20.0.103 - I have Auto Update disabled - but it started right up this morning  (Read 3457 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

In an effort to do more study on the updates as they appear - I have specifically set one of my studio machines to access "Latest" updates when available - but have had Automatic Updates turned off for the last couple of weeks so I am not getting an update placed that I have not vetted yet.

But just moments ago - I fire up 103 on this machine and instead of seeing MC pop up - the installer started immediately - clearly indicating it wanted to update to presumably 108. Even tho I had Auto Update off.

I had to stab at a few "Cancel Update" messages but finally got 103 on screen.

What would cause my settings to be ignored?

VP

Hendrik

• Administrator

Maybe you accidentlly used the look-for-updates hotkey, which is Ctrl+J?
Like, trying to show the madVR OSD maybe, which is the same hotkey?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Vocalpoint

Maybe you accidentlly used the look-for-updates hotkey, which is Ctrl+J?
Like, trying to show the madVR OSD maybe, which is the same hotkey?

Nope. Just clicked on the icon on the start menu to start MC. Like I always do.

This really took me by surprise - else I would not bother mentioning it.

VP

Hendrik

• Administrator

You would've pressed the hotkey the last time you ran MC, it then downloaded the update, and would want to install it the next time you run it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Vocalpoint

You would've pressed the hotkey the last time you ran MC, it then downloaded the update, and would want to install it the next time you run it.

Hmm....so let me understand this:

1. Say I press Ctrl-J at some point during a typical session - the "next" "Latest" update (say 108) comes down.
2. But if I decide NOT to install the update at that point - it simply sits in the Downloaded Updates folder - correct?
3. And then - even if I have Automatic Update set to NEVER fire - and I exit MC AND there is a new update downloaded (but not installed)- the auto update still runs the next time I start MC?

What exactly is the point of Disable Automatic Updates?

Perhaps I am missing the meaning of Disable Automatic Updates? Does having Disable Automatic Update checked mean that MC never goes out to download the "latest" available update or does it mean - any "next" update already downloaded will not install?

Also - does click Cancel Update - actually delete the downloaded archive? Because after I did that - the 108 installer is no longer present in my Downloaded Updates folder.

Appreciate an update so I understand this better.

VP

Hendrik

• Administrator

"Automatic" updates download in the background without user interaction, the option only disables that, but doesn't prevent you from manually pressing Ctrl+J or using the option in the menu.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Vocalpoint

"Automatic" updates download in the background without user interaction, the option only disables that, but doesn't prevent you from manually pressing Ctrl+J or using the option in the menu.

Understood.

It's the automatic installation of a downloaded update that I do not want.

I may press CTRL-J all week long and get the updates down. Or I may even have Auto Updates turned on. But if I suddenly read about an update that botches a decent install - and I fire up MC and it immediately tries to place this botched update into my "known good" installation - this is not a good thing.

Ideally - I would love to a dialog showing me what version of MC is installed AND what version is about to be installed so I can have some kind of visual as to what is going on. The current method of just firing up the downloaded installer and not know what it's going to install has been a sore spot for me for a while.

A few times I have been burned by the auto installer installing a duff version. I just think this can be done better.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

This system has worked well for a long time.  It won't be changed.

It would be nice if madshi would move his hotkey.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

For the record... Control-J isn't the world's greatest hotkey for Check for Updates.

Ctrl-U(pdate), or Ctrl-Shift-U, or Ctrl-Alt-C(heck) would all be decent mnemonics. J is just random.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

J is for JRiver.

It's been ctrl-J for 10 years, jlynor.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

J is for JRiver.