INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 9.1 Beta Trial  (Read 4652 times)

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
MC 9.1 Beta Trial
« on: September 20, 2003, 07:44:44 am »

Adam over at iPodlounge convinced me to try the 9.1 beta as it supposed now works properly with Audible files.

However, I installed the 9.0 trial about 6-12 mos ago, and although I uninstalled it within 24 hours  due to the fact that I couldn't get it working with Audible files at that time, I am barred from another trial.   I can download it and install it, but then it tells me that my machine is not eligible for a free trial.

I'd really like to try it out again.  Is there any way I can get a 30 day trial of the new version?

Thanks.

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re: MC 9.1 Beta Trial
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 08:27:51 am »

AFAIK theres no way short of reformatting/reinstalling Windows. Dunno even if there is a way for JRiver to grant you another trial but I dont think they do this as a matter of course. Maybe Jim or other JRiver person will clarify.

Whilst I of course understand JRiver need to protect their investment, I think its probably fair to say that the MC security system should allow a re-trial for different versions though. 9.1 is vastly different from 9.0.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 12:25:16 pm »

You could try it on another PC.

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2003, 03:30:06 pm »

Thanks for trying to help but I only have one PC.

Is there any way to contact JRiver directly?  There website says help only available via this message board.

lee269

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 03:35:07 pm »

parannoya:

Im afraid this is the only way, but you have contacted JRiver directly - JimH is the CEO.

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 03:35:34 pm »

Thanks for trying to help but I only have one PC.

Is there any way to contact JRiver directly?  There website says help only available via this message board.

Err.. You just did contact JRiver directly.  Jim runs the company!

[Edit - D'oh]

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 03:40:27 pm »

There's always another option.  You could just take the risk and buy it.  After all it's only the price of a meal out.  When was the last time you went somewhere new for a meal and asked to sample the food before you ordered?

I'm not saying it's ideal but, hell, it's not exactly a big risk in the grand scheme of things.  The software is fantastic.

lee269

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 03:52:30 pm »

Snap!

I should add that I dont know about Audible, but MC is a truly powerful application, with a thriving community, produced by a company that really does listen to the recommendations of the forum, and it improves constantly with updates to the betas almost daily (!). If you are willing to give it a go I dont think you will be disappointed. Ask around here - you might find someone who can tell you about audible. I dont have an ipod, but have a look at the ipod thread.

OK, I know that sounds really sycophantic - ugh. And if I was new here, would I believe what I just wrote? I wouldnt blame anyone for wanting to check it out before getting the credit card out. I have nothing to do with JRiver.

lee269

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2003, 03:53:10 pm »

Oh dear - snap again!

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2003, 05:02:32 pm »

Well, 40 bucks is alot of money if it doesn't work for me.  Like I said, when I tried 9.0 before, I only had it a day and ran into so many problems that I just uninstalled it.

On the other hand, I tried the Xplay demo, it worked and I bought it.  Its not that I'm too cheap to spend forty bucks, I just want to know it works beforehand.  

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2003, 05:06:08 am »

this is one of the downfalls of this type of system, but it is hard to keep people honest.

one of the things that might (not sure) be done is when the demo is tried is it could log the days it was on the system prior to uninstalling.

so if you had it installed for 20 days and uninstalled it, when you re-install it can give you 10 days (the days you had left in the demo).

It's Just an Idea...

If this could be done i would think they would have rather had a sale and not a loss.

maybe if J river can do it they will.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LisaRCT

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2003, 10:09:50 am »

I would have thought 9.1 may have been a SEPERATE trial period, after all it is substantially different in so many ways . . . but alas, what do I know   :P

nila

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2003, 12:16:18 am »

my two cents - each 'final' release of MC should have a fresh 30 day trial set for it independantly of any beta's - that way if people come and try the beta - have loads of problems and leave it deciding it has too many bugs - when that version is final they then have the ability to test the final product and see if the bugs have been fixed and they find the finished version a suitable product worth buying.
Some people might try take advantage of this but then again - they wouldn't pay for it no matter what anyway so nothing is lost - it only acts to help out genuine people who would consider buying the program if it met their needs.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2003, 07:16:06 am »

I really don't think this is a debatable subject.

since it has never been in the past
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2003, 07:22:16 am »

I agree that it is rather shortsighted to link trials this way. 9.1 is so drastically different from 9, that it's more realistic to call it 10.

How far back does this trial linking go? Does it at least reset with each major version? I'd hate to think that people wouldn't be allowed to try 9 because their trial for 7 or 8 had expired.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2003, 07:57:26 am »

>> How far back does this trial linking go?
users of MJ7 and MJ8 get a trial in MC9
Fayetteville, NC, USA

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2003, 04:50:28 pm »

Well, as the guy who asked the question, it seems pretty silly to me that I can't try the new version, especially in beta.

If you look over at the ipodlounge and Apple board, you would see that I tirelessly volunteer to help people get up and running with whatever software they use for their Audible files. This is with software I have either bought and paid for, or at least made a donation for shareware.  After going through the learning curve myself, I help others by recommending solutions to problems I have already been through .  Not that that entitles me to anything special, I'm just letting you know my intentions are good.

It seems unfair to me that I can't get a new test, when the reason I uninstalled MC9 in the first place was that it crashed so many times in the first day, I just gave up on it.  If the new version is as good as everyone says, I'd like to try it.  If it works well, I'll more than likely buy it.

But if the only recommendation I can get is to "get another PC",  unfortunately I don't see myself getting MC9 anytime soon.

So I'll just stick with and recommend what I know, and my impression of MC9 will remain with what I experienced with the software and now the support.  

Best of luck to you all here.

Parannoya- signing out.

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2003, 12:48:06 pm »

If you use MC9 for Audible files for your iPod, do you still have to use AudibleManager or can you download the Audible files directly from the website into your MC9 file folder?

My interest in MC9 would be to simplify by condensing from two apps required to use my iPod (MMJB Plus AudibleManager) to one (MC9).  If I get MC9, can I uninstall the other two completely, or will I still need AudibleManager to download Audible files?

Any help appreciated in advance.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2003, 01:48:38 pm »

But if the only recommendation I can get is to "get another PC",  unfortunately I don't see myself getting MC9 anytime soon.

you can format your hard drive.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2003, 04:22:07 pm »

Yeah, I can't imagine having a windows system that hasn't had its HD formated w/i the past few months.  I think that I reformat and install every 3-6 months.  

kiwi

sraymond

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2003, 05:38:29 pm »

Not even a smiley face to go with that?

Scott-

LisaRCT

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2003, 06:26:32 pm »

gosh King, I didn't know you had such a boring life . . . .  that certainly isn't my idea of a good time.  
:P
;D
;)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2003, 04:46:31 am »

I didn't know you had such a boring life

Yes I Do.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2003, 08:07:08 am »

Okay guys, I bought the thing. And I'm having problems.

Download, installation, importing MP3 and Audible files okay, playback OK.

I reformatted iPod, initialized, then sync'd . And immeidately after the 25 minute wait to sync, it gives me an error message. "Error reading database...Pls rebuild."

So I click rebuild,  and the program hangs up completely, so I have to restart am I'm back to square on.  So now I've got two hours into trying to get my MP3 files on my freaking iPod and I ain't got jack squat!

Am I doing something wrong? I've been using iPod with MMJB, Xplay, and Ephod since February so I'm not totally ignorant. Only partially.  

Any help appreciated in advance.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2003, 08:11:36 am »

Did you read the IPOD Thread?

All Questions About IPOD Are In There And J River Wishes To Keep Al IPOD Questions In There.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

parannoya

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2003, 08:41:23 am »

OK, thanks Sparta, I just pasted it on the iPod thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up