INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red October HQ GPU Load [Solved - madVR settings problem]  (Read 3775 times)

drgoku

• Recent member
Red October HQ GPU Load [Solved - madVR settings problem]
« on: May 23, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »

I double up my gaming rig as home theater PC. It has a 4790K and a 290x. When i run red october HQ I noticed my gpu is always under heavy stress. I am not sure if red October HQ requires a 290x to run at full 100% load. If indeed, Red October HQ does not require this much power, is there a setting in jriver, similar to how vsync would work in gaming, that would stress the gpu only as much as required and not the full amount all the time.  The Power draw and fan noise is a concern for me.

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Red October HQ GPU Load.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 01:25:27 pm »

This load is highly dependent on what sort of video file you play.

Ultimately, if you do not want the load, change to Red October Standard, which will also play the same files, but will not use madVR renderer, which is very GPU intensive.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:31:56 pm »

requires a 290x to run at full 100% load

GPU load meters are not accurate representations of the utilization of all components of the GPU.  They are, at best, rough guesstimates, and the estimation algorithms are typically targeted at a "gaming profile" (such as that given by GPU-Z and other similar tools).

The ways in which madvr uses the shaders doesn't directly correlate to gaming performance, so it throws off the meter.

All this is to say that it almost certainly is not actually "pegging" your 290X.  The only accurate way to measure how much power it is using, is to put a power meter at the wall, and subtract out usage values from idle.

And, as kstuart pointed out:
This load is highly dependent on what sort of video file you play.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

drgoku

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 02:39:44 pm »

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I managed to force vysnc off of all applications,  so the gpu is most definitively not doing any unnecessary work.  

I am playing a 1080p blu ray rip off a 30+ gb m2ts file.

I finally found the issue. I had ramped up madvr settings some time back setting it to NNEDI3 32 neurons for chroma scaling and NNEDI3 32 neurons for double/quadruple chroma & luma resolutions. I would have probabily overlooked the fan noise back then because of the ht volumes and had forgotten about it ever since.
I have now switched off image doubling and dailed down the chroma upscaling to jinc 4 taps. Almost silent fan noise now.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 02:42:04 pm »

Ahh, yes. If you fiddle with the madvr settings, you can bring pretty much any gpu to its knees.  ;D

If you want to reset the madvr settings back to the defaults for Red October HQ, there's a restore default settings.bat file in your %APPDATA%\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Plugins\madvr directory.

drgoku

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 02:53:34 pm »

Thank You. I will use that and then progressively move up the madvr settings ladder whilst monitoring fan speed. Not monitoring the gpu usage while making settings was a bad idea! I had been running with my current settings for close to 3 months now.  :'( Hopefully my power bills will start to get lower from this month.

Furthermore, On looking up the NNEDI3 algorithm online, I found there was one person using a GTX970 who seems to have had better (lower) GPU utlization than my 290x. Are Nvidias better at this than AMD? I should hookup a monitor and use gpu-z same as him and monitor the loads with the different algorithms next.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 04:51:19 pm »

Are Nvidias better at this than AMD?

Yes. Both madshi (the guy who develops madvr) and Hendrik (who develops LAV and now works for JRiver) are Nvidia guys.

Also, CUDA is a much easier-to-use API for this kind of stuff than OpenCL, or at least it was for much of the history of the General Purpose GPU compute stuff.  I think a lot of this has finally changed in modern times, but inertia and all of that.

Plus... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95705.msg661868#msg661868

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
Re: Red October HQ GPU Load [Solved - madVR settings problem]
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 09:37:14 pm »

I am not a gamer and am primarily interested in audio performance, although I want good video, too.  I respect NVidia for video, but I chose AMD because they support 88k and 176k audio on HDMI, which, last time I looked, Nvidia did not.  I felt that 88/176k, being integer multiples of 44k for CD and also conversions of DSD to PCM, were better and seemed to sound better than NVidia. 

That was then, but now, I no longer use HDMI audio in favor of USB straight to my DAC.  Not likely to upgrade my GPU to NVidia because the video is terrific with AMD.  But, if I were to build a new PC, I might choose NVidia.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 11:04:34 am »

I use a fanless half-height video card for less noise in the living room (and low profile settop box style case), and the only good choices at the time I purchased were AMD-based.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 12:02:37 pm »

To be clear, I have older AMD 6870s in both of my main home systems, and they work great with ROHQ.  It is just if you want to do super-fancy stuff that you'd see some differences.

dmac6419

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 01:02:17 pm »

Nvidia supports 196khz over hdmi asus g74 run like a charm
Pages: [1]   Go Up