INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping issues  (Read 2103 times)

Bebop0502

• Junior Woodchuck
Ripping issues
« on: May 26, 2015, 04:38:54 am »

Since about one year I have some issues with the ripping. The problem is to start. Once it started I have no issues.

1. I put in a new CD
2. It starts to spin but nothing more
3. I push "rip disc" in the action field
4. It shows "Rossini: Barber of Seville" 14 files - 45:01. This is a CD I ripped about 8-9 months ago. Since then I have ripped more than 100 I guess. But this Rossini-tag always shows up each time I do ripping. It pops up each time I put in a new CD to rip.
5. When pushing "details" nothing happens
6. I then push "rip"
7. Awarning comes up "there are no tracks available..."
8.  I push "rip" again and now I get "Open drive failed. Drive is not opened"
9. I push "Details" and now all tunes are showed but no album titles and now artist etc in the header.
10. I push "Edit disc information" and now I also see the artist. I do corrections if needed and push OK
11. I push "rip" but nothing is happening.
12. Back to the Rip Disc action window which i close.
13. Re-open "Rip Disc" again and now it looks normal.
14. I start the ripping and everything works OK.
15. After ripping I remove the CD from the reader.
16. Put in a new CD to rip and back is Rossini... I have to repeat all the steps again.

Before this started about 8-9 months ago I never had any issues on ripping files.

I have tried with another reader but with same result. I'm running MC20 on W8.1. Do you have quick fix to this. Apparently there is a link to a Rossini-titel/database that is blocking the start. But where? And how can I clean it?

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripping issues
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 11:10:28 am »

Since about one year I have some issues with the ripping. The problem is to start. Once it started I have no issues.

1. I put in a new CD
2. It starts to spin but nothing more
3. I push "rip disc" in the action field
4. It shows "Rossini: Barber of Seville" 14 files - 45:01. This is a CD I ripped about 8-9 months ago. Since then I have ripped more than 100 I guess. But this Rossini-tag always shows up each time I do ripping. It pops up each time I put in a new CD to rip.
5. When pushing "details" nothing happens
6. I then push "rip"
7. Awarning comes up "there are no tracks available..."
8.  I push "rip" again and now I get "Open drive failed. Drive is not opened"
9. I push "Details" and now all tunes are showed but no album titles and now artist etc in the header.
10. I push "Edit disc information" and now I also see the artist. I do corrections if needed and push OK
11. I push "rip" but nothing is happening.
12. Back to the Rip Disc action window which i close.
13. Re-open "Rip Disc" again and now it looks normal.
14. I start the ripping and everything works OK.
15. After ripping I remove the CD from the reader.
16. Put in a new CD to rip and back is Rossini... I have to repeat all the steps again.

Before this started about 8-9 months ago I never had any issues on ripping files.

I have tried with another reader but with same result. I'm running MC20 on W8.1. Do you have quick fix to this. Apparently there is a link to a Rossini-titel/database that is blocking the start. But where? And how can I clean it?

I have pretty much given up on using MC for ripping anymore. There have been a number of recent threads on the shaky ripping workflow and it seems no real fixes have ever made it out there. Every time I attempt to rip a disc - a number of strange things always happen...so I use other methods now.

And yes - ripping used to work fine for me as well - but that was back in the late v18 or early v19 days. Something changed mid v19 and is still here in v20.

VP

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:55:07 am »

On Sunday I tried to rip 10 CDs. The first few ripped fine with me just changing the CD. Then one wouldn't rip until I hit Close and pressed Rip again. Then the next one showed the exact same metadata as the previous CD. I couldn't get it to work right until I rebooted the computer. It then showed the correct metadata, but after ripping showed the coverart from the previous CD. The next few ripped fine, but I had to hit Close one more time and then Rip in between two of them.

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:33:00 pm »

Same here, I've noticed for months now that the ripping process is inconsistent. I've tried to come up with some description or even a basic explanation of what is happening, but I've been unable to. Sometimes it works perfectly as expected, other times I struggle with it.

Wish I could explain more, but I just don't have the time to sit down and figure out what's happening.  ?
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:47:32 pm »

I can describe one repeatable issue that might be a clue.

I was recently re-ripping about 2500 CDs, and I was using dBpoweramp for ripping because of the metadata support.  However, I also had JRiver open at the same time because I was listening to music.  So whenever I'd put a new CD in, both JRiver and dBPoweramp would detect it, and JRiver would spawn a dialog box with metadata in it.  Usually, I'd dismiss the JRiver dialog box, and go on my way.  

However, if I failed to dismiss the JRiver metadata dialog box I would see strange behavior: when the cd ejected, the dialog box would go away on its own, but when I put in the next CD, JRiver would show the metadata for the previous CD.  In fact, no matter what CD I put in the rest of the day (until my next reboot), JRiver would only display the metadata for that one old CD when I put a new CD in.

It sounds like folks in this thread are seeing that same kind of "sticking" behavior.  

The best way I know to reproduce it is to
1) put in a CD, let it get detected and pop up the metadata box,
2) wait a few minutes, then eject the CD (using a hardware button) without dismissing the box
3) put in a new CD

The new CD will show the old metadata.  For me that's 100% reproducible on a couple of computers.  It sounds like that isn't the only thing that can cause this, but hopefully it will help in troubleshooting.

Bebop0502

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »

Thanks for you comment.

My interpretation of your comments is that there is some kind of bug in the ripping program and not my computer or W8.1? Is that what you are saying between the lines? If so I guess it is only to sit and wait for an update and use another software.

Just one thing more. For me it does not help to reboot. It always start by showing the data for a CD i ripped some 100-150 CD's ago.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 04:16:33 pm »

I actually had an opportunity to rip a CD for the first time in a long while last night.  Worked fine.  So, that doesn't really help.

The note from mwillems certainly seems like a bug of some kind.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:23:21 pm »

I've also ripped several CD's in the last two weeks.  I didn't have any problems.

I think the problem is real.  John has tried to duplicate it on a few machines and couldn't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up