INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet Provider Problem with MC Updates  (Read 4675 times)

arrowc

• Junior Woodchuck
Internet Provider Problem with MC Updates
« on: May 10, 2015, 08:55:05 pm »

I just moved and have another internet provider (Exede). Now I can't update jriver, even as a direct download. Everything else with exede seems to work ok.       Any one have any idea what I can do?      Thanks Jack

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: update
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 09:10:36 pm »

I just moved and have another internet provider (Exede). Now I can't update jriver, even as a direct download. Everything else with exede seems to work ok.       Any one have any idea what I can do?      Thanks Jack

I was in the same situation just six weeks ago. I switched from Frontier business to Time Warner business. Upgrading MC failed.
This is what I did to get MC to upgrade. If you save a couple of versions before the current version, maybe 5 prior ones, use one of those to upgrade.

After that make sure you select .. Help.. update channel.. latest. From this point onward, your MC will continue to prompt you for  updates.

George

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: update
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 07:01:50 am »

Your Internet provider should be told about the problem.  Something is broken.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: Internet Provider Problem with MC Updates
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:17:00 am »

Now I can't update jriver, even as a direct download.

Do the direct download while you are connected to the network. And then disconnect from the network (i.e. disable the LAN adapter) while you run the Exe.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:23:10 am »

If running an exe depends on disconnecting from the Internet, something is broken.  Is the ISP trying to do virus protection for you by connecting to its servers?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 01:02:04 pm »

Exede is a satellite Internet provider (which I didn't know until I did a web search).  That web search turned up several people with similar problems.  The most common issue seems to be if you are over your data limit for the month, Excede does some sort of filtering, which shows up as not being able to download.  I'm no expert; just saying what I read a few minutes ago.  People also talked about cloud cover (real clouds in the sky) being an issue.

If your computer is known to work reliably and nothing has changed except your ISP, I'd contact the new ISP and try to get resolution there.  I'd also do basic network diagnostics like ping and traceroute (to files.jriver.com).

Good luck!

Brian.

arrowc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:29:51 pm »

Thanks for your replies.  I contacted my ISP and they say everything is good from there end.  I was able to upgrade by downloading from my brothers ISP. I will see what happens on the next update??      Thanks

arrowc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:59:49 pm »

I still cannot upgrade, also it will not keep me logged into JRiver Interact, When I first open the form.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 01:38:44 am »

I still cannot upgrade, also it will not keep me logged into JRiver Interact, When I first open the form.

That last one is a strange one. I assume you are selecting the option to stay logged on all the time? Still, it shouldn't log you out.

First on the direct download, are you able to download the file onto you PC okay, before you run it? Try http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v20/latest/MediaCenter200108.exe
If so, and you right click the file, select properties, is the file shown as Blocked? If so, click the Unblock button and run the exe. It should now work.

If that isn't the issue, but you are able to download the file directly, then it sounds like your virus scanner doesn't like MC. If so, temporarily disable your virus scanner and install MC. If that works you will need to let the virus scanner author know that MC isn't a virus, so future upgrades will work. You can't just white list the update exe as the name changes every time.

If you can't download the MC upgrade file, then it does sound like your ISP is filtering for some reason, or has a virus scanner service running which block the download, or something is broken either at their end or yours.

As they say their end is all good, take a good look at your end.
Are you using your new ISP's DNS servers? If not they may block downloads.
Are you using a VPN? If so try without the VPN active.
Are you using all the recommended settings from your new ISP?

If you can't find anything, test to see if you can do updates for something else that should always work, like Windows or Adobe Acrobat. If those updates don't work, I think you need to make another call to your ISP, with these examples of failed downloads.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

arrowc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 11:02:09 pm »

Yes every time I enter the form I have log in. Also the automatic update is not working.   

I cannot download the file, I completely uninstall jriver and go to the download page won't download. All other updates, win etc. that I have tried works well.   I will take a closer look at my end, VPN ISP's and give exede another call.     

Thanks for all your replies

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 01:40:15 am »

The forum trouble confirms that it is almost certainly a browser problem. Are you using IE to visit Interact?  It could just be browser settings corruption. Run CCLeaner against your computer and knock out your whole IE cache and settings. In the Windows tab in Cleaner mode, check all the IE boxes (except saved passwords which won't hurt anything), the default System stuff if you want it. On the Applications tab, uncheck everything except maybe Flash Player.

Otherwise...

When you set up the new internet connection, did they give you a disc?  Did you install anything?

The other likely scenario is that you have some kind of proxy or security settings or firewall or malware or some nonsense on that computer that is screwing you up.  Assuming they aren't intercepting your packets and altering them in-flight, which is not beyond some ISPs, but I doubt it.

Could be malware too. Are you seeing extra ads on sites or pop ups or anything? Weird performance issues?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 08:59:41 am »

If this is indeed a Satellite provider, almost all compress the data and use software on the client to do so. They decompress once the bits are back on "earth".

I've seen one that used a proxy on the client that did the interception etc. On another it was a network driver. Yet another it was hardware. Whatever the case it causes all kinds of issues. For example VPN's don't work. They also block all kinds of different traffic.

If this is a satellite internet, some details (with links) may help others here to point out what the issue is and possibly a solution.

arrowc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 05:31:02 pm »

OK   I was able to download v.108 but the new update will not update?   the Network diagnoses gave me this message

Windows received an HTTP error message 403 (Forbidden) from "files.jriver.com

Contact the owner of the remote site for permission
Window can reach the site, but you do not have permission to access the content.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 01:32:52 am »

So ... if I understand correctly you downloaded and successfully installed 108, but now if you try to run "Check for updates" in MC under Help to get version 113, it doesn't work?

Well aside from checking that you have your update channel set to "Latest", I still think you have a broken internet connection.

If you really want to install version 113, download the installation file directly and run it. That should work. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97879.0
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 10:31:38 am »

Try flushing your DNS.

Open up a CMD window:
ipconfig /flushdns

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 11:19:34 am »

I still think you have a broken internet connection.

Smells like malware to me.

But, I'd try installing the latest build manually, and turn off the Auto-Updater for now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up