INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database size problems re lyrics and bio's  (Read 1612 times)

sherbs

• World Citizen
Database size problems re lyrics and bio's
« on: September 25, 2003, 04:30:57 am »

As it's been mentioned in the latest build thread that Bios collectors DB's are getting rather large, I want to discuss it here.

I was told a while ago that making the DB relational was out of the question so I suggested treating Bios like Album covers, ie stored once and then associated with any number of files. Would this work?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Database size problems re lyrics and bio's
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 05:27:46 am »

There are several ways we could go, but we aren't going to make a radical change to the database structure itself.

I think that Matt plans to look at optimizing the speed of the save and backing off the frequency of the save for large databases.  There may be other simple things we can do too.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 06:18:03 am »

Ok .. this also relates to my RFE http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1064200167
Media Server - Load ONCE !

Since I use King's PPlugins (and they work so well) I have 30,000 files and my DB is about 85Megs.  When compressed, it comes out to 25Megs which have to be downloaded when I want to listen via the Remote Server ...

I would like the DB to be smaller or the loading of the DB for Remote access to happen only once and I would need to go back and reload it if I wanted it to be updated from the server ...

Marko

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 07:30:16 am »

My findings here......

I'd been just a little concerned about how much RAM and VM that MC was commanding lately. On startup, MC would take up almost 100 mb ram, which would then drop to around 15, but virtual memory usage would remain up there in the 100 mb region!!! My library, containing circa 10k files 7k of which are audio was running from a 52 mb database.

I just removed all lyrics and bios...

My database went down to 2.5 mb.
RAM has gone down to ~3mb
VM is hovering around the 15 mb mark

MC is blindingly fast now too.

I will live without lyrics/bios while a solution is worked out.

Listening to: 'You Can`t Put Your Arms Around A Memory' from 'The Spaghetti Incident' by 'Guns N' Roses' on Media Center 9.1

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 08:37:16 am »

1. Am I right in thinking that if MC were to crash before it got chance to save any tagging changes to the database that the changes would in fact be saved to the files so a reimport of the files would prevent all the tagging changes being lost forever?

2. Until you get chance to make some changes in this area please can you change the hot fix so it checks a flag in the registry before choosing to work in this way.  That way those of us with libraries over 10K that do not suffer from the freezing problem can keep it the way it is by undertaking a reg hack.  I don't have the freezing problem as I don't really use bios or lyrics.

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 09:06:54 am »

Until you get chance to make some changes in this area please can you change the hot fix so it checks a flag in the registry before choosing to work in this way.  That way those of us with libraries over 10K that do not suffer from the freezing problem can keep it the way it is by undertaking a reg hack.  I don't have the freezing problem as I don't really use bios or lyrics

I AGREE.  I think you are spooling a good thing.  I know you are trying to help your Citizen Kane (Heavy Hitters). but this quick fix.  was sure not thought out for the rest of us.  Now you want to think things over. well for me i am back to 257.  
There is a way to compare tags

[=isequal([band],[album])]=1

thanks marko

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 09:24:41 am »

Since I use King's PPlugins (and they work so well)

Blush

====================================

the plug-ins were created to fill a void and to allow users to Automate cleaning up there Libraries.

It is too bad that it also creates problems.

I do think that using other Jukeboxes you would have more of a mess.

===================================

to everyone don't freek out about you have over or under a # in your library. i am sure what J river does to fix this problem will have little or no effect on you.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 02:27:48 am »

<SIGH> i will have to postpone bios, and reviews imports if i want MC to stay responsive.

i had an idea about this, while playing with gkerbers trackinfo template. Would it be possilble to store the lyrics, comments, bios ie all the fields that have lots of text associated with them as a HTML file in a similar fashion as Thumbnails are stored.

So when MC is used as a server it can upload just that one HTML file to be displayed on demand. This might also allow that one html file to be associated with any number fo files as the original poster mentioned.

just to clarify is mediafiles.jmd the actual library stored in the Data Dir ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up