INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High Resource Usage, Long Response Times and  (Read 3416 times)

tilly1615

• Recent member
High Resource Usage, Long Response Times and
« on: June 01, 2015, 09:49:04 pm »

Hi

I have an extremely large music library - about 9.5 TB.  Its large because I have mostly lossless music and a new repository of 24 bit music. The music files are spread on eight or nine 7200 RPM drives that are on JBOD/RAID boxes attached to two systems with JRiver 20.x and Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.

I'm running an old 2.8 Ghz Quad Core CPU with 8 gig RAM with a Solid State boot drive.

I'm finding that when I browse through Standard Categories (Recent, Genres) or Categories I've created (24 Bit, Most Recent Lossless Music) I am hanging at times for 30 seconds to a minute.  OR even longer.  I dunno if JRiver is doing on the fly meta data updates or is importing art or something along those lines that may tax an older CPU.  Obviously the result sets from my music databases (All Lossless, All 24-bit) can be quite large.  Can that cause a lag?  Even doing something like selecting Tools/Options can cause me to hang now

I don't do things like run DSD SACD (which I know can tax a CPU) or ISO's or analyze audio.   

Love to see if anybody has some ideas where I can streamline things short or buying a new box.

But sometimes I hang just scrolling down the Recent category.  

If you need any detail specs, please tell me and I'll send those

Here's the JRiver Benchmark Specs from JRiver 20.0.103

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 28.438 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 15.920 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 15.968 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 7.834 seconds
Score: 279

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.821 seconds
    Flood filling... 4.647 seconds
    Direct copying... 4.299 seconds
    Small renders... 9.263 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 10.715 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 5.265 seconds
Score: 628

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 1.358 seconds
    Populate database... 7.176 seconds
    Save database... 1.672 seconds
    Reload database... 0.300 seconds
    Search database... 7.177 seconds
    Sort database... 6.690 seconds
    Group database... 3.680 seconds
Score: 766

JRMark (version 20.0.103): 558

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: High Resource Usage, Long Response Times and
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:56:25 pm »

The most common causes of this are:

* Anti-virus
* Thumbnail building

Please read:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide

You can check what percentage of your Thumbnails have been built in the output from the Reporter function mentioned in the System Requirements section of the guide.  If you don't have a very high percentage of your Thumbnails built, then performance will be impacted as you move around Views to sections where no thumbnails have been built yet.  That sounds like the case here.

This problem will be severely exacerbated if your Anti-Virus application is interfering with MC's process, or forcing a scan on your media files before each is available for MC to build the thumbnails on the fly.  There are instructions within the guide for taming your Anti-Virus, with a couple examples (even if these don't match your particular application, the concepts remain the same).

If this is the case for you, and the percentage of thumbnails built is low, I'd recommend running the Thumbnails builder manually overnight. This is found at Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Build missing thumbnails.  Hit that and get it started, and then go to bed.

If performance is still slow, and you have done that, or you already have a high-percentage of thumbnails built in the Reporter function, then I'd look squarely at AV.  But read through the rest of the guide, because there are other potential causes addressed there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tilly1615

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:02:03 pm »

thank you Glynor.

I thought it could be thumbnails causing the issue.  I will just run the darn thing tonight.

I'm pretty disgusted with AV.  Any ideas of what products might do a more efficient job than MSE.

Again, thanks and am doing the thumbnail build as we speak

JRF

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:05:42 pm »

I actually use Windows Defender myself (the same thing as MSSE), and like it.  Depending on the hardware configuration, it can sometimes interfere with Media Center, but it is easily tamed.  I have instructions in that guide.

Read through it though... From your description, it could be one or two other things mentioned in the guide.  Especially this, if it applies to you (which is not quite clear from your description). Long story short on that is that MC's Library (the database, not the media files) should be on that SSD.  If it isn't there, move it there. It is small, so no big space constraint.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:50:59 am »

JRMark (version 20.0.103): 558
That's a pretty weak machine.  Average new machines have a JRMark around 2500 and the best are around 5000.

Thumbnailing would definitely be slow on it, but that may not explain the other lags you describe.  Running it overnight would help but if the library is very large, it might take longer to complete.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 06:54:48 am »

Just a thought: are you allowing the drives to spin down?
Spinning up that many drives when browsing the library may take a while, especially if it doesn't all happen at once.

tilly1615

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:20:27 am »

Just a thought: are you allowing the drives to spin down?
Spinning up that many drives when browsing the library may take a while, especially if it doesn't all happen at once.

I should really go to WD Red drives. Unfortunately most of my drives are the WD Green drives that need to spin up

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 08:28:20 am »

Your machine's JRMark is about the same as the JRMark I've gotten on one of the new Raspberry Pi 2's when overclocked (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54396.msg658407#msg658407).  

My experience is that the pi is not the most responsive when browsing large views, so it may largely be a function of a CPU bottleneck.  It routinely takes five or ten seconds for a large view (60K files) to load on the pi when interacting with the GUI, even when the drives don't have to spin up at all.  

tilly1615

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 09:19:36 am »

Thanks for all the excellent responses

1. I insured that my media library is on the Solid State Drive
2. I am running Thumbnails but as was noted, it is slow. I have over 319,000 tracks. 
3. The Machine might not be one for a power gamer but it does a pretty good for me.  I mainly do browsing, use it with a DAC to play audio, use simple things like MS Office. And I do watch HDTV on it with a Silicon Dust HD Tuner. so its not bad.

The only background task running is Building thumbnails.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 09:36:50 am »

You could turn off thumbnailing, just to test if that is a factor.

The machine is probably fine as a file server, but creating a lot of thumbnails would challenge the CPU.

tilly1615

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:40:21 am »

How can Thumbnail(ing) be turned off in JRiver?

I wasn't aware you could do that

Thanks

JRF
Pages: [1]   Go Up