INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install problem  (Read 1372 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Install problem
« on: June 06, 2015, 10:42:37 pm »

not a request for help, just a comment.

i've been around since MC13 (i think) but only tend to upgrade when there is something i use which changes. For MC20 the upgrade trigger proved to be the TMDB interface which just stopped working under MC19. I understand what happened, and don't begrudge paying for updates for what is after all a great product.

But upgrading from 19 to 20 has been a irritating and frustrating experience. i have a library server with several clients, so each machine needed an update. None went smoothly, with a bizarre mix of authority and other issues. i wish now i'd kept a log, but based on previous updates i wasn't expecting problems, so just kept ploughing on. the final straw and the trigger for this moan was finding that the library server had lost all of its auto-import parameters. there was a lot of bits and bobs in there, field values being set etc. and i'm certain that i've forgotten many little tweaks that made using MC such a joy. The library is still intact, thankfully, but i'm expecting months of having to relearn and reconfigure when new stuff doesnt import in quite the way i expect.

it's no use asking for details, i couldn't recreate the problems if i tried, and i'm up and running now (i think).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bad install experience
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:52:10 pm »

Sorry for the confusion.

This has been true for many major versions.  When upgrading from MC19 to MC20 (like MC18 to MC19 previously), it imports your Library, but not all user Settings. I can't put words in their mouths, but I'd guess that this is a conscious choice on JRiver's part.  It does make the upgrade process a little less smooth for users who aren't having trouble. I agree. But, for users who have gotten their settings all borked up, and are having trouble, then the "upgrade" will often "fix" the problems.

Basically, it imports your Library, but it puts all settings in a "known safe" configuration (the defaults). If you want your settings migrated from the old version, it is extremely simple to do, and you can still do it.

1. Open MC19 again on the system.
2. Make a Library Backup and save it somewhere you can easily find it.
3. Open MC20.
4. Restore the Library backup you made into MC20, and make sure the Restore Settings option is enabled.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Bad install experience
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 11:39:07 pm »

You are indeed a gentleman and a scholar sir. i guess i must have known this at some point in the past, as i had already made a backup, but had forgotten a) that id done it, and b) where id put it.......

All good now

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Install problem
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 07:30:08 am »

Some settings are machine specific and can't be used reliably.
Pages: [1]   Go Up