INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: center channel volume .... is me or something is wrong?  (Read 1266 times)

jorsan

• World Citizen
center channel volume .... is me or something is wrong?
« on: June 07, 2015, 07:02:39 am »

About a week ago I started a post asking about the way to rise the center channel volume in my surround (7.1) system because -for my perception- I was not getting the correct volume level, and voices sound little low and dull in related to the rest of the sounds. I was using the internal processing of JRiver for Dolby TruHD and DTS HD. :

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97852.msg676329#msg676329

Yesterday while watching latest Transformers movie (those fights never end ... wow!) found that switching the processing power to my proccesor, voices returned to the perfect match with other sounds in the movie. My question here is .... this is just my perception or maybe some problem inside JRiver?. For this tests, in JRiver I uncheck all options for correcting or leveling the output signal in each channel trying to get the most direct signal.
I really want to hear your comments and experiences

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: center channel volume .... is me or something is wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 07:07:31 am »

Please find your old thread and copy this there.  You can find it by going to your "profile", in the menu near the top of this page.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 07:16:00 am »

The difference in perception between MC decoding and an out-board audio processor is usually caused by dynamic range compression and dialog normalization. Both DRC and DialNorm is metadata information present in the bitstream on how to adjust the audio, but especially DRC can be considered harmful to the audio, as it reduces the dynamic range - which is especially true on a high-end audio system.

We do not believe that DRC and DialNorm are particularly useful, which is why we do not support them.
If you need DRC to enjoy a movie (because you are watching at night, on weak speakers, or in a noisy environment), we do have other DSP controls for that purpose.

Another option may be that the audio processor just has a generally louder volume level, which can alter our perception quite oddly.

Personally, I've not had any issues with dialog audio levels on a 7.2 system, and all speakers are calibrated to the same volume level using a volume meter and MCs room correction.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jorsan

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 07:31:48 am »

Thanks Hendrik but I do not use any "artifacts" (as far as I know) to alter the audio levels/performance of my surround system. within JRiver or my processor.
About the volume yes, my processor shows a higher level but after some tests, found that this is not the problem.
Somehting is wrong but can't find the reason ....
Pages: [1]   Go Up