INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using an external player  (Read 6402 times)

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Using an external player
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:00:57 pm »

What is the setup required to use an external player? How do I avoid the .dvd;1 extension not being recognized by the external player? Is something required to be entered in the "argument" box?

Thanks

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Using an external player
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 03:46:48 pm »

Will someone from the JRiver team respond to this. If this feature is a part of the player options, then there should be a way to make it work. Forum and help searches are not providing much information relating to this. I just need to be enlightened.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:06:02 pm »

We provide the way to start an external program, but it's not possible to make every program work.

Maybe someone can help, but you will need to provide some details.

Why are you using an external program?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 07:22:37 pm »

My first question was also why do you need an external player. For almost anything other than 3D bluray, JRiver MC is the best player.

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 04:27:50 pm »

We provide the way to start an external program, but it's not possible to make every program work.

The external player opens when a video is selected and I click on the play button. Here is how I configured MC for this to happen. From Tools/Options/File Types/Video/  Playback Method, I selected External Program (custom), and entered the path for the external player.

The player opens, but that is all that happens. The video does not play. It is as if the player is waiting for an input. I have tried several different external players and get the same results so I think something else needs to be configured. I had this working in an earlier version using WinDVD, left it, and now I don't remember what I did. What else does it take to get this to work?

My first question was also why do you need an external player. For almost anything other than 3D bluray, JRiver MC is the best player.

MC does have excellent video quality. However, since I am only interested in movies from the 30's - 60's (I'm 74), picture quality is not that big of an issue. What drives me to an external player, is the way MC handles fast reverse/fast forward. Being hard of hearing and having frequent interruptions (think wife), I find my self often having to go back to pick something up. Trying to find the right spot with the way MC handles these functions is sometimes time consuming and difficult. I would like to use WinDVD because its fr/ff is linear and and the picture is visible on the screen while using these controls. This gives me visual feedback and makes it easy to find what I am looking for. 

Dredd

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 12:25:03 pm »

The Player seems to need the Filepath.
Try to give him the Argument: "Filepath()"

I´ve attached an example.

stewart_pk

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:00:40 pm »

MC does have excellent video quality. However, since I am only interested in movies from the 30's - 60's (I'm 74), picture quality is not that big of an issue. What drives me to an external player, is the way MC handles fast reverse/fast forward. Being hard of hearing and having frequent interruptions (think wife), I find my self often having to go back to pick something up. Trying to find the right spot with the way MC handles these functions is sometimes time consuming and difficult.

Just use the Left Arrow for back and the Right Arrow for forward in JMC, it's much better then FF and REW.
You can configure how many seconds JMC will go back and forward, I have mine at 10 seconds.

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 08:43:51 pm »

Dredd, thanks for the reply. I thought I needed to add an argument of some sort, but what? Do they have to be unique to the particular player being used?

Anyway,  here is what I get when I use "Filepath()":

File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "\\tower\Movies\A River Runs Through It\VIDEO_TS"" (Bad file descriptor).
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file://tower/Movies/A%20River%20Runs%20Through%20It/VIDEO_TS%22'. Check the log for details.

Here is what I get using the argument "[Filename]":

File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "\\tower\Movies\A River Runs Through It\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.dvd;1" (Bad file descriptor).
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file://tower/Movies/A%20River%20Runs%20Through%20It/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.dvd%3B1'. Check the log for details.

This last example tells me the extension is the problem. What I have been trying to do is the get around the renaming of the file extension .dvd;1 MC library uses. I have tried to change the "Filename" tag to .ifo and then update the tags from the library. However,I get an error stating "You have disabled the option to allow MC to update tags. Please change the option and try again." I just got this error code today and have tried to find where this option is. I don't remember ever doing this. I didn't even know this option was available.

In summary, I can get the player to launch, but nothing more.

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 07:43:53 pm »

I use the External Program (Default) setting and it works fine for me. To do it this way, you just need to make sure the video player you want to use with JRiver is set as the Windows default player for the type of video file you are playing. Then when you click to play the video in JRiver, it starts the external player and begins playing the video. No path or other variable is required. I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema as the default player for all videos and JRiver for cataloging (nothing against the JRiver player, just family preference).

stewart_pk

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 11:47:01 pm »

Dredd, thanks for the reply. I thought I needed to add an argument of some sort, but what? Do they have to be unique to the particular player being used?

Anyway,  here is what I get when I use "Filepath()":

File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "\\tower\Movies\A River Runs Through It\VIDEO_TS"" (Bad file descriptor).
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file://tower/Movies/A%20River%20Runs%20Through%20It/VIDEO_TS%22'. Check the log for details.

Here is what I get using the argument "[Filename]":

File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "\\tower\Movies\A River Runs Through It\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.dvd;1" (Bad file descriptor).
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file://tower/Movies/A%20River%20Runs%20Through%20It/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.dvd%3B1'. Check the log for details.

This last example tells me the extension is the problem. What I have been trying to do is the get around the renaming of the file extension .dvd;1 MC library uses. I have tried to change the "Filename" tag to .ifo and then update the tags from the library. However,I get an error stating "You have disabled the option to allow MC to update tags. Please change the option and try again." I just got this error code today and have tried to find where this option is. I don't remember ever doing this. I didn't even know this option was available.

In summary, I can get the player to launch, but nothing more.

You don't like my idea huh?

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 09:47:31 pm »

Then when you click to play the video in JRiver, it starts the external player and begins playing the video. No path or other variable is required.

When I click to play a video vlc opens and does nothing

When I add the argument "Filepath()" I get the following error code:

File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "\\tower\Movies\20,000 Years in Sing Sing\VIDEO_TS"" (Bad file descriptor).
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file://tower/Movies/20%2C000%20Years%20in%20Sing%20Sing/VIDEO_TS%22'. Check the log for details.

I have tried to find the vlc log file, but there doesn't seem to be one.I t appears vlc must be configured to generate one, but Goggle searches does not return much for the current version. Neither does the vlc website.

I have MC installed on another computer and the same thing happens. I have tried vlc, mphc, windvd, and a few others. So I don't know... I think I will take a break from this (going on three weeks ) and use the internal player, or try another front end  to my server

You don't like my idea huh?

I am familiar with this technique, and thanks for taking the time to offer this suggestion. However, as I mentioned earlier, I like  a visual feedback of the fr/ff function. I must be in the minority here for most players handles this feature by using the skip function.

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 10:01:54 am »

When I click to play a video vlc opens and does nothing

When I add the argument "Filepath()" I get the following error code:

Are you using the External Program (Default) setting instead of the External Program (Custom) setting? This method just passes the file name you click on in JRiver to your default Windows player for this type of file.

You can check this by opening Windows File Explorer and double click on the video file you are trying to play. It should open the default player and start playing the video. If it doesn't, something else is wrong.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 02:05:00 pm »

Try this:

External Program (custom)

Program: path to your VLC player
    Arguments: "Filepath()\VIDEO_TS.IFO"
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 08:37:10 pm »

Yaobing, Your argument suggestion worked. Thanks a lot!  Also, thanks to all those who took the time to offer suggestions and comments. Much appreciated   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up