INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimize bug, continued  (Read 2456 times)

Shelly

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I love listening to music with Media Center!
Minimize bug, continued
« on: September 17, 2003, 01:50:45 pm »

Pietro,

The 252 beta thread became locked just as I finished typing my response to you, so I've moved it to a new thread.

Thanks Shelly. Unfortunately I do not use any special software like Iolo's MacroMagic (btw. what's this??).

I have seen the problem now on two different boxes, my XP Desktop and my W2K laptop, totally different HW and running different SW (except MC of course!!).

This seems to be a consistent bug since a while.
Matt, any idea???

MacroMagic is a terrific application that automates repetitive PC tasks, such as typing in email addresses or passwords, shutting down windows, or running commands buried in nested levels of menus.  Their website is www.iolo.com.

I also had this bug on my laptop and desktop systems, but when no one else confirmed it's presence, Jim suggested that I look at my other software.   I started unloading noncritical processes running on both systems and as soon as MacroMagic was unloaded, no more crashing on minimization.  So I'm not using MacroMagic now and I really miss it.   I would also love for this to be fixed, but I don't know if the fault is with MC ?

Shelly

pietro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Ride a bike, what else?
Re: Minimize bug, continued
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 11:50:55 pm »

Hello Shelly.
Thanks for your comments. This is to confirm that the Minimize bug is still there also with 9.1.253. It is not seen with every minimize, but has just occured here at my W2K box.
To others that might not know, the error is:
"Unknown software exception" (0xc00..8e)

The bug is NOT seen if I do a Mini-Me / Maxi-Me before (until now).

Thanks
- Pietro

PS. Matt, thanks very much for the T-Shirt!!!  ;D

---
Media Center Registered 9.1.253 -- C:\Programme\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
Intel Celeron 396 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 57 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3700.6705 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive Z:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 05:49:42 am »

I fixed this problem, bizarrely by uninstalling my poing software (for the touchpad on my sony vaio).

I am having a problem with media centre.

whenever i minimize or play a file media centre crashes. i have tried reinstalling with numerous diferent versions but get the same thing. sometimes, even after just being open for a short time, it crashes. i didnt have this problem until very recently so i am figuring i have done something to make it happen.

Specifically: the crashes only occur when i try to play any sound file from the list of all my files in media library (only when all of the panes are set to all). So if i choose an artist or genre etc in any of my panes the songs play fine.
also, mc consistently crashes every time i try to minimize. I dont have the macromagic software or anything like it, referred to in the previous posts.

recently i installed direct x 9. and seperately i installed "windows media format 9 runtime files" as part of an adobe premiere setup.
I have also installed office xp.

I hve tried completely uniinstalling media centre and reinstalling with various different number betas and the recommended stable versions but it makes no difference.
also, when attemping to run media centre i have no other programs running except drag n drop cd writing software, ms messenger, and a firewall program (all f which run in the background from startup).

Any ideas?

the windows error states this:
ppName: media jukebox.exe       AppVer: 9.1.253.0       ModName: jrimage.dll
ModVer: 1.1.35.0       Offset: 00006eba

here is my system info:
Media Center Registered 9.1.249 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 44 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 329 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright c 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4080N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

Shelly

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 07:02:02 am »

Here's the link to the first thread on this topic, in case it helps.

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1060566932;start=0#0

Park, I also had no luck with uninstalling and reinstalling.  I even went into the registry and wiped out every reference to MC and deleted my library, all to no avail.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 07:11:59 am »

Shelly,
Did you see this part of Park's post?

I fixed this problem, bizarrely by uninstalling my poing software (for the touchpad on my sony vaio).

Unfortunately, problems that affect 1 or 2 users won't get much attention, because we assume it may be some other problem (as in Park's post).

Pietro, please post a good description and ask for others to try to duplicate it.

Shelly

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 07:26:58 am »

Shelly,
Did you see this part of Park's post?

Our posts hit at the same time.  

That's great, Park, that you found the source of the conflict.  

Sometimes, all that's needed is a hint about where to look for conflicts, as you did, Jim, in the last thread, when you suggested that I look at other running software.  The things that's curious, though, is that I'd been running MacroMagic since I first started using MC/MJ.  The minimization problem didn't surface until several builds into 9.1.

As long as I don't use MacroMagic, the bug is not present for me.  

Shelly

pietro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Ride a bike, what else?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 10:06:21 am »

Thanks for your interest. Jim, I just experienced the problem with 9.1.254 also - on my XP desktop machine... Totally different Software and Hardware than my Laptop running W2K.

I just started MC, went to some smartlist in this case, started the playback and minimized. Voila - boing - the error was shown.

Same as Shelly, never had this problem before running MJ or MC 9.0. Cant remember what build it showed the first time. Cant think of what I should uninstall, because it is seen on two totally different machines and libraries!

Anyway, please everybody, if someone experience the same bug, would you please post your findings here?

Thanks
- Pietro

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2003, 01:21:42 pm »

Here is some more information regarding my situation.

Turns out it was nothing to do with the pointing device.

Sometimes I restart my computer and MC is perfect and sometimes it shows the same 2 problems (minimize and then it crashes. or press play in media library with nothing selected in the list or panes and it crashes)

I have just read the previous thread. I can also solve the problem by going into minime first and then minimizing. but the next time I load MC (even one second later) it crashes. the error report say:  ModName: jrimage.dll

What's that?

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2003, 01:23:45 am »

things have got even worse for me.

I formatted my hard drive and completely reinstalled winXP including all of its critical updates and the drivers needed to isntall all the hardware on my sony vaio laptop.

next i put media centre on. the 1st piece of software. it played fine and then i restarted my machine and then when i tried to load it again, i encountered the same minimize thing. when i minimize the error window came up and "send/dont send report"prompt.

so next i uninstalled (including deleting the library files) and reinstalled many times, each time trying different versions, including version 9.0. Each time I unistall completely and search my compter for any mjextman files and delete them and then reinistall.

Each time the same thing happens. If I'm lucky it'll work fine for the first time but on the next restart when i minimize MC crashes. And on top of that, now after the first time of it working successfully, the next time I open it it stays open for a few seconds then crashes. even with an empty library.

Also on one successful attempt, I had MC working and then went to bed leaving my computer on and then when i woke up i tried to load MC and it did the same thing. i hadnt loaded any other programs in between the time it was working and the the next time, and the screensaver and power options were all turned off. So in the space of seven hours, without even restarting, and with nothing being touched on my machine MC went from working to not working.

here is my system info:
Media Center Registered 9.1.257 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 113 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 293 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4080N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:Yes

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2003, 06:12:48 am »

Shelly,
This problem seems so isolated that I'm inclined to think it is related to something else on your PC.

Can you all talk about what you might have in common?

It's also possible that you use MC in a different way than most people, so try to be specific about what skins, plug-ins, visualizations, etc. you have.  Especially other people's plug-ins.

Jim

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2003, 08:00:55 am »

I seemed to have found the problem (fingers crossed).
I am able to consistently load, close, open minimize and do everything else perfectly within media center again.

I looked through my system setup and the one componant that I left for windows to setup was my network adapter, so i updated the driver with the one that came in my drivers folder on the vaio setup cd and voila, things started to work again.

great news and a big relief... except, now a "wmi" error keeps popping up. It doesnt reduce system stability in any way I can notice, and i can do everything as usual on the net (i use my network card to connect to a broadband modem). so its ok but a ******* pain to keep closing the error boxes.

any tips?

thanks for the continued support too. considering how busy everybody is its amazing that everyone is so able and willing to help out.

almost there...

Shelly

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2003, 04:51:22 pm »

Shelly,
This problem seems so isolated that I'm inclined to think it is related to something else on your PC.

Can you all talk about what you might have in common?

It's also possible that you use MC in a different way than most people, so try to be specific about what skins, plug-ins, visualizations, etc. you have.  Especially other people's plug-ins.

Jim

Jim,

My problem has been resolved since 8/18 when I discovered that MacroMagic was causing a conflict with MC on both my desktop and laptop systems.  The solution was simple - stop using MacroMagic.  I miss using it but it's better than the frustration of MC crashing everytime I minimized.  

It looks like Park is making progress in closing in on the reason for this behavior on his system; not sure about Pietro.

Shelly
Pages: [1]   Go Up