INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD burning  (Read 3597 times)

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
DVD burning
« on: September 09, 2003, 11:36:13 am »

Hi JohnT,

I just tried burning (one of my first) data cds with MC9.1.
All I get after some wait is a box titeld "CDWriter" telling me "Can't start the write" which vanishes after hitting the "Ok" button.
I know I tried this a few weeks ago and got (aproximatly) the same result.
I know, the Ricoh 5120 is a quite "old" drive. It's +RW only (no +R) but it was quite cheap when I bought it last year.
Any chance you could support this drive?
Anything I can do to help?

Ingo

Media Center Registered 9.1.247 -- C:\Programme\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1200 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 654 MB, Free - 268 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\ding.wav

Burning /  Drive G: RICOH    DVD+RW MP5120      Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DVD burning
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 11:59:01 am »

we did a test on this a few months ago, and i don't think anyone got this to work.

I am not sure what the plans are but it would be nice to burn not only mp3's etc.. but other data to the DVD burner.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 01:27:35 pm »

Hi King,

I only tried to burn MP3s as a data DVD... nothing spezial...
just like a mp3cd but on dvd.
(purpose of this would be to burn backups...)

Ingo

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 09:41:28 am »

Please try the 9.1.248 build. I made several DVD burning fixes, including in the DVD+RW area.
Let us know!

Are you using brand new blank DVD+RW disks or ones that have been written to before? If they've been written to before, try the "erase" command first, then burn the DVD.

All DVD formats except DVD-RAM *should* work with MC for burning ISO 9660 data disks. You can drag and drop any data files (not just music) into the burn dialog or onto the CD/DVD tree item.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 08:03:22 am »

Bad news:

still doesn't work. still the same error message.
(didn't get a chance to check with .248, but  .251 and .252 show exactly the same messages and behaviour)

a few more observations and comments:
- the disc is recognized as 1x dvd+rw
- the drive and the disc are capable of 2.4x

- the disc came right out of the box. nothing was written on it ever before.
- trying to erase the disc gives a box saying 'writng lead-out and closing session" and "file 1 of 10" (even though I'm only trying to erase the disk....)
- erasing seems to take waaaayyy longer than with any other software I tried (~2-3 minutes instead of <1min) and realy seems to write to the disk (looking at the writable surface I can see a darker ring)

- after erasing the disk, MC tells mit that it still sees a 1xDVD+RW whith ~400MB to be written to the disk and around 31.5MB left free

- after erasing the disk, nero disk info tells me, that there is one iso/joliet session on the disk which is around 432MB

- windows explorer tells mit that the just erased disk is labeld 'NEW' and 50KB large. holding no data and 0 bytes free

- isobuster 1.4 tells me the disc is finalised and has one track and one closed session which is around 430MB large.
joliet and iso filesystems are empty

-now trying to write on the freshly erased disc ... mc tells me it "can't burn an iso level 2 long session because this media contains joliet file extensions which makes it incompatibel. ....." (remember: I just erased an empty disc)

- after changing that to iso2/joliet MC starts to write... the burner's led changes to off after around 5min (for 400MB)
- the 'CD Burning Progress' still tells me it's 'Writing Wave' and it's working on 'File 10 of 10' after 10 more minutes (no more lights on the burner....)
- after hitting the cancel button nero tells me the disc is empty.
- after quick erasing the disc in nero back to mc (restarted mc)
- mc tells me it sees a 1x DVD+RW with about 400MB to be written and 25MB left free
- starting to write again: MC realy starts to write. again this seems to be 1x only.
- after finishing the last file MC keeps showing the 'cd burning progress' again.

anything I can do?

Ingo

p.s.: something that would be a great additon for people like me who like to have _working_ backups is an option to compare files after writing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 10:52:36 am »

Ingo,
I burned a DVD+R successfully a few days ago.  I have not tried RW or -R disks so I have no idea whether erase is working.

Jim

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 11:06:49 am »

Jim,

erasing is only part of the problem... the smaller part.
Burning doesn't work either.

DVD burning seems to be completely broken in MC. At least for my drive/system.

Ingo

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 12:50:55 pm »

DVD+RW burning and erasing work on the drives we have here. Erasing of DVD+RW disks is somewhat of a misnomer. That format has no actual "erase" command so applications (including Nero and MC) just fake an erase by writing an empty session at the beginning of the disk. If you check with IsoBuster after Nero does an "erase", you'll see an ISO session on the disk.

I've fixed the problems you described with the volume name being called "NEW" and the "can't burn an iso level 2 long session because this media .. etc." error. Not sure why it's seeing yours as 1X speed. The drives here show the correct speed. Does Nero show 2.4X speed? The erroneous status messages during erase are a bug.

Sounds like MC is having problems with the Ricoh drive. Could you send me a log file of a burn session? Here's the instructions on enabling logging:

Turn on MC's logging for CD/DVD burning by changing the value of this registry key from zero (0) to one (1):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\CD Writer\Logger

Then just start up Media Center and try to burn a DVD. Then exit MC and find a file in the MC program directory called "cdwriter.log" and email that to me. Remember that the log file is overwritten each time you start up MC, so you must send the file before restarting MC.

Thanks!
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
johnt @ jriver.com

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 01:24:11 pm »

Hi JohnT,

you're right, Nero writes an empty full size session with just an empty iso track when trying to erase the disc....
Being full size this seems to save MC from thinking the disc is small....

Nero sees the disc as 2.4x. and only 2.4x. can't write at 1x. and I don't think I could select 1x for any of my discs....

as for the logger:
enabled it. no matter if I just do a test-write or a real write, the 'burning-progress' pops up for a fraction of a second and disappears. no error message, no writing on the drive, nothing.
disabling the logger again and we're back to the usual error messages....

_cdwriter.log is on its way...

Ingo

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 03:25:24 pm »

Hi JohnT,

ok... tried the .ocx you sent me.....

- the disc is still seen as 1x
- erasing seems to work... kindof at least.
-- when erasing a disc the progress window still tells mit it's working on "file 1 of 14"
-- after erasing a disc MC still thinks the disc has around 450MB free space. instead of 4.5GB. (isobuster tells me that the empty session is around 450MB of size...)

- writing does access the drive: it takes some time until I get that "can't write" window...
(this was done using test mode)

Ingo

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 06:46:03 am »

Can you send me another cdwriter.log file?

Thanks!

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2003, 12:00:57 am »

on its way.

Ingo

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2003, 09:18:46 am »

FWIW ... When burning data cd's with many of the latest beta's I would get that burn dialog hang on the last track ... fixed it by completely uninstalling MC9.1 then reinstalling (had my MC9.1 data on a separate drive so just repointed to it after reinstall and was back up and running in no time).

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2003, 11:09:24 am »

on its way.

Ingo
I didn't receive it. Can you try again?

Thanks!

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2003, 06:56:06 am »

.. bump ..

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2003, 07:54:22 am »

sorry for the delay... was on a weekend trip 'til last night...

new mail with new .157 logs is on it's way

Ingo

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2003, 09:22:04 am »

just to let everybody know:

John just sent me a test version of his burn engine and it works.

thanks John for fixing this and all the help and explanation.

Ingo
Pages: [1]   Go Up