INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failing to get MJ plugins  (Read 1677 times)

Roger Essig

• Recent member
Failing to get MJ plugins
« on: February 12, 2003, 12:02:46 pm »

I am unable to download any plugins - as the response is always "Can not connect to server"

However I tried the FAQ suggestion of downloading the plugin to a local drive and then installing.

After obtaining the .mjp and .zip of enc_mp3 (in this case), when executing the .mjp (with the URL line edited to "URL=enc_mp3.zip"), -- packageinstaller.exe appears to do everything fine except the registration of the .dll and fails,- displaying the following
information box.
----Failed to install package
----More Info: Failed to register object. Error 1157
----C:\Program files\Media Jukebox\Plugins\enc_mp3.dll

Can anyone possibly tell me what error 1157 is and how I may get around it or what is
causing it.  Or maybee someone might know what statements get added to the registry so that I may
add them manually myself.

- Running Microsoft IE 5.5. (upgraded in an effort to solve the download problem) without any change.
Am not running through a proxy - streight 56K modem on com port to SP
However I think none of the above would have anything to do with problems of local installation

- Windows 95

- The unedited enc_mp3.mjp file as saved from the download link

[Package]
Name=MP3 Encoder
Action=UNZIPDIR
Version=2.0.51
URL=http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/mj_data/plugins/enc_mp3.zip

[Action]
File1=*.*
File1Action1=COPY_PLUGINDIR
File2=enc_mp3.dll
File2Action1=REGISTER

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Failing to get MJ plugins
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 12:09:52 pm »

We don't see much Windows 95 anymore, so it could be that.

A dll can be registered by trying to open it, then when Windows ask "with what program", browse to Windows\System\ and find regsvr32 and choose it.

I'm really at a loss to help any further.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 01:51:59 pm »

well even if he got past that problem there might be more problems with Video\skins
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Roger Essig

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 03:48:46 am »

I don't get it, If MJ is not supposed to run under 95 (so what its old, does it mean it borke?), why does it not state that somewhere so that users do not have to pay for a product that will not work.  

If it is 95, then how come when I first tried MJ (when Ver. 8 was just in beta release) it cured the problem of monkey not working properly in 7 but had no problems with any downloads or installations of plugins.

Jim's suggestion of running regsvr32 on the enc_mp3.dll failed as well.  Does this mean that the .dll has been changed so that 95 has a problem with it or does this mean my regsvr32 has died of old age.

I hate to bug all you guys with this problem but I am given to believe that this is my only source of tech support from JRiver.

I certainly do not want to create a problem for anyone who is not responsible for this problem.  I would just like to understand what is happening here.

Can anyone maybe enlighten me on the last message in the thread? How should I interpert it?

- If I cant get the plug-in's installed give up as there will be other problems later on?
- There is just no hope, I am too stupid
- I have been sold a product that has no hope of working?
- Just pay your money and then you'r on your own.
- Spend a couple of thousand on a new system and then MJ (might?) work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 04:07:29 am »

Roger,
It's obviously your decision.  I'm just telling you that the only thing I see that is different is Win95.  It may not work there now.

Maybe someone else will have something to say.

You can buy a very good XP machine for well under $1000.

You can update to XP and it might work for about $200.

You can find another program.

Jim

Roger Essig

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 06:06:46 am »

Is not someone else just another user? should they be bothered with solving problems a user has with a purchased product.

Is JRiver prepared to advertise that Win 95 is not supported any more?

If this is the official statement are users who have purchased MJ for use on 95 entitled to a refund?

Is there anyone out there who may be using MJ on a 95 machine, or am I the only one?

All these questions are probably totally irrelavent if JRiver were to make some official statement or look at why this situation exists.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2003, 08:00:11 am »

There is (2) versions of W95...W95 and W95B. The B version is much closer to W98 in architecture and code. But I'd try to find W98SE at a minimum. Many programs don't support W95 anymore. You could buy a used copy of W98 dirt cheap I'm sure. Bonus...every program will run better as well, and you should be able to upgrade right over top of 95 without having to reinstall everything. (fresh OS installs are ALWAYS better, though)

10-27

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 08:07:36 am »

I don't think Microsoft supports windows 95 anymore do they?

I just gave away my disks of windows 98, windows 98se and windows ME last weekend
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Roger Essig

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 01:42:47 pm »

I really understand all of you who want to have the latest hardware/software etc.  And I think it is great.

However I do not want to bore you with all of the reasons I have for still using 95 and aside from that wonder if this has anything at all to do with the issue.

I am not aware of (although I have asked) if JRiver have anywhere pulicized that anyone using 95 is on their own and MJ could have problems under 95.

If not I do not think it fair for them to sell me the program and then leave me to hang out to dry.

I know (as previously stated) that some version of MJ 8 (released as beta) worked fine on the current system.  Now I upgrade to the latest 8 and buy the package and  behold the latest 8 does not work with the identical system.

Would you not at least expect JRiver to make this version available to me and enable it to be a liscensed version.  

I only upgraded because it was indicated that I had to to be able to register it.  I was perfectly happy with the version that I had, and its capabilities.

Shure it is my choice and I can just forget about JRiver, but first (not really having compared to anything) I really think that MJ is pretty fantastic and second and more importantly I really question if this is the better way for JRiver to handle a little problem a user has.

Pardon the long dissertation I try to be brief but then what are the real issues.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 02:09:14 pm »

>> Would you not at least expect JRiver to make
>> this version available to me and enable it to be
>> a liscensed version.
well i do think there should be a HTML about the Minimum it should run on and i think they had one once.

I have not looked for it so it may be around somewhere.

It is also not everyday you see someone using windows 95. i think your the first in this forum and i have been around here for almost 3 years now.

if i can get a copy of windows 98 would you like me to send it to you?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 02:12:32 pm »

If you've been continually installing the new builds on top of each other since v8 was beta then I would suggest...

1) Backup your license
2) Uninstall MJ
3) Reboot
4) Update everything you can: OS (MS may still have updates for W95 online), IE, ASPI, sound card drv's, etc.
5) Reboot
6) Reinstall MJ

Even if you haven't been stacking builds, try it anyway.

10-27

Roger Essig

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2003, 03:18:02 pm »

Hi KingSparta
Thanks for your reply, however I stated it was a question of hoping JRiver would make available the working copy with authentication (since I paid for it).  

Thank you for the info on the HTML that discusses min. requirements. I may take the time to find it and apologize if it states that the MJ should not be installed or "bought" for 95.  

Lastly, thanks for the offer of 98, but no thanks have it and most other win.OS's - as stated for many reasons beyond this board I can not/will not change OS.  And as pointed out earlier - that is not the point anyway.

Thanks again.

Hi Xen-uno

Also thank you for your effort, I have never installed any version on top of another.  Had a version of 7.xx which did messed up on monkey, un-installed it and then loaded beta version of 8.xx (I believe in the spring 02)
Now both monkey and MP3 worked fine.  

Did nothing further with MJ untill recently when I again had a requirement for MJ specifically for MP3.  Bought it, uninstalled old 8.xx and had to install the latest 8.xx to activate my code and bingo its broke.  With no "help" from JRiver.

Thank you also for the tips about re-installing, but I know my system is fine (except for the perfectly antiquated and fully disfunctional (eh gad how can anyone) awful 95.  

Again thank you all for the well meaning attempts to find a WORKAROUND for my situation, but what I am hoping for is some support from JRiver giving a hand with a FIX without making you guys responsible to handle me.

This does not in any way mean that I do not appreciate your efforts.  - all of you -

fan_man

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2003, 06:16:06 am »

Microsoft does not support Win 95 anymore. They would not even touch the code in 99 for y2k!
I would not expect any software vendor to support a product for an unsupported OS. That is just not viable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up