Author Topic: EPG  (Read 71030 times)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: EPG
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2015, 10:58:54 pm »

We aren't bad people.

I don't get it.

Well, the reasons SD took that position are steeped in history, and from what I understand, some of that is personal history in the case of the founders.

Simply put, SD believe that letting any commercial organisation use the EPG data gives that organisation a competitive advantage, and something for nothing which they convert into profit.

So it isn't about you, or the other JRiver MC users. It is about JRiver. Not that JRiver are bad people, or ripping anyone off either. The requirement is a blanket condition of their data use.

However, they don't ask you to prove how you are using their data, so they aren't completely unreasonable. Just don't tell them so they can turn a blind eye.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2015, 08:17:15 am »

I'm pretty happy with the way JRTV automatically updated my TV Guide today.

Now that we have XMLTV working very well with SD can we add a few more features to XMLTV such as...

* 1-5 Star Ratings for movies.
* IMDB information.
* Actors.
* Date movie came out.
* Anything else?

Anyone know how to add any of the above to XMLTV?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2015, 01:59:20 pm »

So am I understanding this correctly? I have to give 25$ for schedules direct? By principle it goes against the whole OTA idea...There has to be another solution. Zap2it still exists?

Yaobbing or any folks from JRiver what is the official plan to get EPG Data?
What about ZAP2XML? I'll give this option a try again but need to understand why my data from 8 to 11 pm was missing...

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2015, 02:38:48 pm »

Why should anyone care if I choose to pay JRiver over free mediaportal.

I don't get it.

If you go to the Schedules Direct website, they state that their agreement with the data provider (Tribune Media Services) forbids use with commercial applications. Tribune Media Services wants companies like JRiver to pay them for the data as that's there main business and that seems reasonable to me. That's why only non-commercial programs are allowed.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2015, 02:46:49 pm »

What about ZAP2XML? I'll give this option a try again but need to understand why my data from 8 to 11 pm was missing...

zap2xml is available now.  I think it will only work with users who register with zap2it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2015, 05:28:38 pm »

I don't know what is going on. I suppose your right - try it and see if it works.

imeric
said this in post 55
I registered (for free), got it working and it is providing data for up to 12 days (with season and episode if I add -D in the command line so not sure why people were having problem with this..) but all hours were missing from the xml file for all the days between 8pm and 11pm..I tried it a few times and it would consistently do this. (See my previous posts for more details)

Also from http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/ website

◦ 2015-07-09 ◦ zapit removed their newer listings(?), zap2xml2 still works

◦ 2015-07-22 ◦ zap2xml2 renamed back to zap2xml (the newer json zap2it listings don't seem to be returning)
◦ added -D option: this gets program detail for each program (season/episode info, movie cast, star rating, genres) but requires 1 http request per program! Use with care!
◦ added -I option: this gets the program image url for each program but requires 1 http request per program! (not useful unless your PVR software makes use of xmltv program icons)
◦ both options cache just like the main grid, but these options can initially result in a lot of http requests if you have a big grid with a lot of programs; perhaps consider using with at least "-S 1" (1 second delay between requests) to be less of a server burden

◦ 2015-07-26 ◦ detect when not using a 6 hour grid and adjust to the 3 hour grid, and handle any mismatches in the cache (selecting "six hour grid" in your zap2it preferences reduces the # of http requests, but some miss this setup step)

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2015, 05:39:29 pm »

Microsoft had made a change in their data that JRiver uses as "Digital Terrestrial Lineup" and that WMC has the data and MC20 does not.

From the responses, it is unclear whether JRiver is working on restoring "Digital Terrestrial Lineup" (by changing to Rovi format) or is giving up on that source.

Can this be clarified?   Thanks.

PS  Here is a post from MS establishing that the data is now available again in WMC after users rerun WMC setup:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8983

and apparently this required a software update of some sort that happened 3 weeks ago:

Microsoft is now releasing an update that will cause Windows Media Center to retrieve electronic program guide data from Rovi, the same source being used for the Xbox One. Currently this change is only happening for customers in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and Brazil.

The last quote is from:

http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2015/07/08/microsoft-breathes-new-life-into-media-center-guide/

kstuart

« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2015, 05:43:22 pm »

I think this is a transition time for MS and so we should wait a few days to see what happens.

No, the change is long over and working fine for most WMC users.

Posted last week:

Quote from: Microsoft
The issue regarding OTA channels not surfacing to the WMC guide is believed to be resolved. Please run through your WMC setup (if necessary) and confirm if you now have the missing channels along with their corresponding guide data. If you continue to have issues please open a ticket with Microsoft in the Connect application. Microsoft will work directly with Rovi on any further issues you might be having.

We only know about it now, because it took days for everyone to run out of the data that MC20 downloaded two weeks ago.

Please tell us whether you are going to try to use the Microsoft data in its new Rovi format, or whether you are going to give up on "Terrestrial Digital Lineup".  Thanks!

kstuart

« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2015, 05:57:36 pm »

I used to use a freeware TV Recording Software program that has many more features (for TV recording) than MC20 (including several features that have been requested over the past few years).

I spent a whole weekend setting up one EPG "grabbing" program, only to find out that it required volunteers to write interfaces for each location, and so often the system did not work due to volunteers disappearing (or graduating college :) ).

I then spent a lot of time setting up zap2xml, and another program to use that xml and feed it into the TV recording software.

Some months later Zap2It changed their format.  And (just like today), I only discovered it by running out of EPG data entirely.

As a result of that experience, I switched to JRiver MC since it used "Digital Terrestrial Lineup" and I did not have to hours of setup.

If I have to go back to zap2xml and hours of setup, then I might as well go back to the superior freeware TV recording program.

So, I am hoping that JRiver can find out how the Microsoft data can be obtained in the Rovi format, and change MC20 accordingly.

If there is some unsurmountable problem in obtaining the data in the Rovi format, then that is understandable.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2015, 07:54:34 pm »

I have to give 25$ for schedules direct? By principle it goes against the whole OTA idea...

That is sooo funny.

OTA broadcasters exist to make profit. They are used to making lots of profit.
They make that profit by charging advertisers for on-air time, to show their advertisements.
They don't care what you watch. Not one little bit. They only try to show good programs so that more people will watch their channel, so they can charge more for air-time.
It is against the broadcaster's interest to provide a good quality, detailed EPG. If they do so, people might decide not to watch the endless repeats of borderline crap TV shows. Instead, they provide as little information as possible, so that people will watch the "new" Friends episode, in the hope that it will, in fact, be new. People tend to sit and watch through repeats once they have decided to watch that channel or program, even though they wanted to watch a new episode.

OTA TV has never been free. You paid for it big time, with your time, and suffering through advertisements.

EPG has been free sometimes, but usually because volunteers provided it, and such a source was rarely allowed to be very successful before a legal challenge closed it down. Which meant users always had to chase the latest free EPG source.

Of course the free EPG issue has only been an issue outside America, because Microsoft has been providing America and a few other places with free EPG for ten years or so. Thank them. Pay them by buying an Xbox One and using the EPG on it. Then they may continue to provide  it. (I can't as they don't provide EPG data for Australia.)

In Australia, pretty much all volunteer provided EPG data sources have dried up. The OTA EPG is now useable, because of the one commercial EPG provider. That provider charges $99 per year to have access to their EPG data.

So you have it really bad, having the option to pay $25 per year to get high quality EPG. My heart bleeds for you.

[Sorry. Another rant. It was deserved.]
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2015, 08:17:18 pm »

So I'm a little confused about the state of play.  MC's North American default EPG for cablecard appears to be completely non-functional at my house, which means Cable TV in MC is non-functional.  Schedules Direct appears to have data at a reasonable price, which I'm happy to pay, but using it for JRiver looks like a clear violation of their TOS.

Is there a current recommended solution that works and is aboveboard?  Is this likely to be fixable on JRiver's end or is this a "no more API" type situation where I need to look for another recording solution (that can legitimately make use of SD's data)? 

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2015, 08:35:06 pm »

It really is a little silly.

For example, you could download free mediaportal and use schedule direct within mediaportal to schedule and then record to a directory that is indexed by JRiver.  Just use JRiver as the "viewer."

That would be entirely within SD's term of service.

Oh what tangled webs we weave.
Perseverance wins out in the end!

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2015, 08:41:54 pm »

ok, so what happed in 131 that broke EPG?  I was fine in the previous build but now all I get is 3 channels.  I've tried to reload it several times.  The channels are there when I do the config but nothing shows on the Guide.

Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

OverTheAir

• Recent member
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2015, 08:53:20 pm »

@ SpeedD408 - below is what happened (from my post on the previous page); not a 131 issue specifically.

Well since MC apparently uses Microsoft as a source for the EPG it seems likely that what we are experiencing is the result of a Microsoft switch from Zap2It to Rovi as the EPG provider, per the various topics linked below.

http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2015/07/08/microsoft-breathes-new-life-into-media-center-guide/
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8983
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-media-center-not-quite-dead-yet
http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfuller/archive/2015/07/22/workaround-for-no-television-guide-available-in-windows-media-center-after-july-20th-2015/

OverTheAir

• Recent member
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2015, 09:00:04 pm »

As Thane points out the "terms of use" for SD are a little quirky.  For example if someone develops a free open source plugin for JRiver that makes EPG data available to MC then that would seem to meet SD's criteria, based on SD's list of approved applications which includes ...

"sagetv-sdepg   A native EPG plugin for SageTV that pulls its data from the Schedules Direct JSON service"

From this web page http://www.schedulesdirect.org/approvedsoftware

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2015, 09:18:30 pm »

SageTV may be a bit of a special case, since it is abandonware owned by Google, is going to go Open Source, and SageTV users who don't have Key can no longer access the SageTV EPG server.

But you may be correct. An Open Source EPG collection tool may be allowed by SD.

OverTheAir

• Recent member
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2015, 09:31:26 pm »

BTW (and while JR consider options) if you need a quick "fix" (perhaps because the significant other and/or rest of family are about to lynch you due to "broken" TV functionality ... or because missing an episode of The Real Housewives of New Jersey is unacceptable :o), then it is worth just reiterating that WMC does work with the the new Rovi EPG, with data out to 8/8/15 in my case.  

• If WMC has not automagically updated to the new Rovi EPG service (mine had not), then this may be remedied by going to Control Panel/Programs and Features.  
    Select the "Turn Windows features on and off" and under "Media Features" un-tick WMC.  
    In my case I was then required to re-boot while Windows made changes both at power down and power back up, similar to an Update Tuesday experience.  
    Once powered back up, return to the same Control Panel location and re-tick WMC.  WMC then reinstalled with the new EPG service.
    You might want to check the about sections before and after just to confirm - before Zap2It is listed afterwards Rovi

I didn't need my install disk for this but might be wise to have it on hand, particularly if WMC wasn't already installed.
Hope this helps someone "in need"  ;D

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2015, 09:33:57 pm »

I've enjoyed RoderickGI's rants.

Good for the soul.

But do I detect a bit of USA envy . . .

Lest I be misunderstood, let me clearly state that I have my own "envy" issues.

Kangaroos!  How could you possible be envious of the good old USA when you have Kangaroos!

And Kuala bears . . .  

:)

OverTheAir

• Recent member
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2015, 09:38:35 pm »

SageTV may be a bit of a special case, since it is abandonware owned by Google, is going to go Open Source, and SageTV users who don't have Key can no longer access the SageTV EPG server.

But you may be correct. An Open Source EPG collection tool may be allowed by SD.

You're probably right.  I may have read too much into them still listing GB-PVR and assumed the list dated back to when Sage was commercial.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2015, 09:56:33 pm »

Thanks Thane. They are good for my soul as well.  :)

Kangaroos!  How could you possible be envious of the good old USA when you have Kangaroos!

And Koala bears . . .  

Plus Emus, but also poisonous snakes and spiders.

But we have the Kookaburra to look after those. A great medium sized bird that hunts, kills and eats all sorts of poisonous stuff, particularly snakes. They are little beauties.

But that is just the start, with the Platypus, loads of Marsupials from the size of a golf ball up to the big red kangaroo, a good range of birds, and lots of space . . . but not much water.

Of course, our current Prime Minister and government are trying to make us more like America, by implementing all the worst aspects of your nation. We don't like it, or him.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2015, 10:13:10 pm »

All that, and you are worried about our free epg?

Jeeze . . .

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2015, 10:41:44 pm »

Jealous of the free EPG you have had for years.
Amused by the "I am entitled to free EPG!" attitude.
Disappointed that so many people don't know where the great resources they are using come from, and who is paying for them.
Amazed that people think a Media Center software application that costs them $50 to buy, then ~$20 a year to upgrade and is constantly developed, also needs to provide free EPG data, and free everything else.

Just as well I am still a happy fellow.  ;D

rmeden

« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:20 pm »

This is Robert Eden, President of Schedules Direct.  I've been asked to comment.

The discussion in this forum is unfortunately correct. JRivier should not be used with data obtained from Schedules Direct.

Gracenote (our data source) has  licensed Schedules Direct to distribute guide data for use in hobbyist/noncommercial applications to encourage innovation,  prevent scraping (which places a heavy load on web servers), and simply because there's no other way for these projects to obtain data while respecting copyright.

Gracenote is in the business of selling guide data to businesses and if SD would threaten that business we would lose our license, leaving all our projects without a reliable data source.  This has happened before.... when Tribune ran Zap2IT labs, they shut it down mostly due to commercial abuse.  SD was formed as a replacement and has promised to prevent similar abuse.

As noted by others, Gracenote has granted exceptions for abandon-ware.  For an exception to be considered, a company can't be in the business of selling (or promoting for other uses) the product.  JRiver is still a product.

JRiver should contact Gracenote and look into their options.  If necessary, I can even make an introduction.  There *are* solutions.

Please, don't endanger our Open Source / non commercial products by using it with JRiver.

Robert Eden
President, Schedules Direct
Project Lead, XMTLV Project

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2015, 03:31:49 am »

This is Robert Eden, President of Schedules Direct.  I've been asked to comment.

The discussion in this forum is unfortunately correct. JRivier should not be used with data obtained from Schedules Direct.

Gracenote (our data source) has  licensed Schedules Direct to distribute guide data for use in hobbyist/noncommercial applications to encourage innovation,  prevent scraping (which places a heavy load on web servers), and simply because there's no other way for these projects to obtain data while respecting copyright.

Gracenote is in the business of selling guide data to businesses and if SD would threaten that business we would lose our license, leaving all our projects without a reliable data source.  This has happened before.... when Tribune ran Zap2IT labs, they shut it down mostly due to commercial abuse.  SD was formed as a replacement and has promised to prevent similar abuse.

As noted by others, Gracenote has granted exceptions for abandon-ware.  For an exception to be considered, a company can't be in the business of selling (or promoting for other uses) the product.  JRiver is still a product.

JRiver should contact Gracenote and look into their options.  If necessary, I can even make an introduction.  There *are* solutions.

Please, don't endanger our Open Source / non commercial products by using it with JRiver.

Robert Eden
President, Schedules Direct
Project Lead, XMTLV Project

Robert, as a JRiver MC user (I'm not an employee) it doesn't appear that you're aware of MC's EPG functionality and that it is generic in nature. MC has various options to incorporate EPG data:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/EPG
... and one option is to import an XMLTV file from whatever origin that the user configures:

In my case, I use a standalone application that downloads the OTA EPG included with the broadcast signal in my region. For the statutory framework that I'm in, accessing that EPG data is not subject to commercial limitation for personal use. MC has the ability to run that application as an executable on a schedule and import the XMLTV data.

However, a private individual (as I see it) could quite legitimately subscribe to your organisation and then use the XMLTV import function within MC to incorporate Schedules Direct EPG data within the Television function of the software. That is an activity that has nothing to do with JRiver as a corporate entity, it's user driven. What JRiver has provided is a mechanism for importing XMLTV data, as far as I can tell, and that's it. As my case demonstrates, that provided functionality is generic and enables people in my situation to get the required function out of the MC software. I might have misunderstood a key aspect here but I don't think so.

Hope that helps..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

CountryBumkin

« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2015, 05:17:51 am »

It's not going to help. I already had this discussion with SD.  :(

I posted this info back on the first page in reply 27.

I don't mind paying for the EPG information - just let me know where to buy it!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2015, 06:30:20 am »

The Kookaburra is beautiful!  Thanks for posting it, RoderickGI.

Robert,
I'm the CEO at JRiver.  We will be careful not to harm your reputation.  Thanks for your reply here.  I'm jimh at jriver if you need to continue the conversation.

Regards,

Jim Hillegass

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2015, 08:25:10 am »

I'm with CountryBumkin - give me a solution for a reasonable price that works consistently with no fuss and I'll pony-up.

Jim - one of the main reasons I moved to JRiver was that it is a polished product that is easy to set-up and very reliable.  The "easy to set-up" and "reliable" parts are taking a hit over this issue (if you use the TV components).

I knows you guys will come up with a great fix in the near future.

Many of us would be willing to pay more for the convenience of an incorporated solution that works well. 

At least that's my vote!

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2015, 08:27:41 am »

I Second that BIG time.

Doc
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

kstuart

« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2015, 11:15:57 am »

Is there a reason that MC20 cannot have a similar update to "fix" the code that WMC received this month?   To use the "Rovi" data source and format instead of the previous data source and format?

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2015, 12:49:18 pm »

Got it, Countrybumkin - and I do like and use mediaportal as a second choice, so I'm covered one way or the other.

rmeden

« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2015, 12:57:57 pm »

However, a private individual (as I see it) could quite legitimately subscribe to your organization and then use the XMLTV import function within MC to incorporate Schedules Direct EPG data within the Television function of the software. That is an activity that has nothing to do with JRiver as a corporate entity, it's user driven. What JRiver has provided is a mechanism for importing XMLTV data, as far as I can tell, and that's it. As my case demonstrates, that provided functionality is generic and enables people in my situation to get the required function out of the MC software. I might have misunderstood a key aspect here but I don't think so.

The issue is you don't own the data and are not free to use it as you wish. You obtain a *LICENSE* for the data.  The License only allows use in non-commercial applications,  so you're violating the SD user agreement.  SD can't grant the license because the copyright owner wants things to go through JRiver.  Unfortunately, at least here in the US, the copyright owner can decide how they want their stuff used.

I don't agree or like it, but just telling it like it is.

Robert

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2015, 02:55:04 pm »

Thanks for the explanation.

So, the issue would be with (potentially) the private individuals transgressing their licence obligations.

MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

kstuart

« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2015, 04:29:14 pm »

While we are waiting for further developments, you can get your timers ("Recording Rules") to continue to operate by clicking on them and selecting "Configure Recording" then select "Subscription Options" and click on Next, then tick "By Time Only".

It should populate the settings according to original day/time/channel, but you should check the settings on this page, just in case.

Click Next and then Finish on the following page.

That will make the timer ("Recording Rule") work without any EPG data being present.

rammingspeed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2015, 05:12:33 pm »

If you are a paid subscriber to MC2XML, there is an updated version that works with Rovi.

Support for this new service in mc2xml is working, and now donators above the $20 level are welcome to request this version if they want to try it out (please specify operating system).

(PBS offers mugs for donations; I don't have a mug for you but maybe this additional incentive will entice you to donate for the work that goes into mc2xml :) )

2015-07-07: MS swiched EPG providers for certain countries and say they are working on the remaining conversion/lineup issues. Send an email (from same address) if you have any problems/errors (12435R/string error).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2015, 06:15:37 pm »

@CountryBumkin: I am using MC2XML to get the XMLTV file.  Then I am using the XMLTVDB to 'add' info to the XMLTV.  XMLTVDB actually reads the XML file and then accesses thetvdb.com to get season and episode info.  So, my process is as follows:

1) On login, I have a scheduled task that starts XMLTVDB.jar.  That java application monitors a folder and when a new xmltv file is added, it processes that file.
2) at 1AM I have a scheduled task to run MC2XML to download the latest guide data from SD.
  --this kicks off XMLTVDB to process the file automatically -- no intervention is required.
3) at 4AM I have set MC20 to load guide data, and I point it to the updated XML file that XMLTVDB created at 1AM.

So far it seems very reliable.  There is also capability in the XMLTVDB to add exceptions, so for instance, if it thinks that Doctor Who is the original series, but you are doing the 2005 version, you can add that to a properties file, and it will remember it from then on.  So far, I haven't had this issue.

Musicman0,

I have good EPG schedules/data now using MC2XML - but I thought I could improve it a little with XMLTVDB. I want to be sure to get Season and Episode numbers.

However, I'm having some trouble setting it up. I went through "xmltvdb.properties" and I got stuck at "FTR_WEBSERVICE_URL=http://username:password@FTRSERVER:49943". The setup instructions say "For FTR's web services. Default port is 49943". But what "username:password" am I supposed to use? Do I need an account (username and password) at FTR (ForTheRecord) or is this my computer name and password? Did you enter anything in this area?

Lastly, instructions say "to run this program, execute: "path\to\java.exe" -jar "path\toXMLTVDB.jar" ". How exactly is this executed? I filled in the paths for my file locations, but was unable to execute (I should say - not sure how to execute).

Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2015, 06:48:13 pm »

While XMLTVDB is;
Designed for use with ForTheRecord / ForTheLibrary, but can be used with any XMLTV file.
I think you can use it without the ForTheRecord integration.

ForTheRecord Integration

To use this program with ForTheRecord, set up your XMLTV generator to place the XMLTV files in the directory this program is configured to listen to. Then set this program to output the enhanced .xml files to FTR's Services\XMLTV directory.
That implies this part of the configuration is optional. So I think you just comment out the FTR login line you mentioned. EDIT: Confirmed.

To run a Java program like that you can either;
1. Use the Windows Run dialogue, type the command as you have written it, and hit enter.
2. Put that command into a Batch/Command file then double click on the Command file. You can also create a Windows shortcut for the batch file and put it somewhere useful.
3. Create a new Windows shortcut and put that command with its parameters into the Target field of the shortcut.
4. Set up a Scheduled Task in Windows and enter that command and parameters as appropriate.

I don't know weather XMLTVDB presents a GUI when run, or just runs as a command line program. Either way, the above methods should all execute the program.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2015, 07:29:36 pm »

To run a Java program like that you can either;
1. Use the Windows Run dialogue, type the command as you have written it, and hit enter.
2. Put that command into a Batch/Command file then double click on the Command file. You can also create a Windows shortcut for the batch file and put it somewhere useful.
3. Create a new Windows shortcut and put that command with its parameters into the Target field of the shortcut.
4. Set up a Scheduled Task in Windows and enter that command and parameters as appropriate.

I don't know weather XMLTVDB presents a GUI when run, or just runs as a command line program. Either way, the above methods should all execute the program.
I used option #4 above.  I just used the 'Create Basic Task' link in the Windows scheduler, answered the question, and in the 'Action' options, I put the following:

Under 'Program/script': "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_51\bin\java.exe"
Under Arguments: -jar "C:\Users\Steven\Documents\XMLTVDB v1.0.1\XMLTVDB.jar"

It is important to note that you need a Java JRE installed.  I downloaded from here: -jar "C:\Users\Steven\Documents\XMLTVDB v1.0.1\XMLTVDB.jar"

Also, the paths that are listed above will not be the same for you (well...the java one might be).  Also, include the quotes if they are there.

I set mine up to run the task at logon.

XMLTVDB doesn't have a GUI, but a terminal window (CMD, console, DOS, or whatever you want to call it!) will show while the JAR is running.  It is mildly annoying to me that it has to stay open, but since this is a headless server, I just have learned to live with it!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2015, 08:32:44 pm »

There are lots of solutions to running a Windows command file with the window hidden, or never opened. Mostly based on a Visual Basic script. No flash on the task bar and so on.
https://www.google.com.au/#q=Hide+command+window+Windows+7

For simplicity, but at a cost, you could try this one;
http://www.ntwind.com/software/hstart.html

Disclaimer: I haven't tested any of the solutions.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2015, 05:07:10 am »

I used option #4 above.  I just used the 'Create Basic Task' link in the Windows scheduler, answered the question, and in the 'Action' options, I put the following:

Under 'Program/script': "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_51\bin\java.exe"
Under Arguments: -jar "C:\Users\Steven\Documents\XMLTVDB v1.0.1\XMLTVDB.jar"

Thanks.

My Java program is at "java\jre1.8.0_45",  It see you have version ...51 and I have version ...45. So I updated mine - the update creates a new folder "jre1.8.0_51", so if you let Java update you'll need to watch/change the path in your program script.

PS. are you getting any additional/useful info from XMLTVDB?

BTW - XMLTVDB instructions say: "This only has to be done once (recommended to schedule it to be run when the computer starts) and the program will listen infinitely for new XMLTV files." 
So I take this mean that if I leave my server running all the time, I don't need to create a task in the Windows Scheduler. Maybe a better solution would be a batch file in the Windows Start folder (if that can even be done).

Thanks again.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2015, 08:29:37 am »

Is there a reason that MC20 cannot have a similar update to "fix" the code that WMC received this month?   To use the "Rovi" data source and format instead of the previous data source and format?

Ping?

(For me back to sage in the meantime, guide still working flawlessly so no issue with zap2it...Too bad as I had just started using JRiver over Sage.  I did enjoy my 3 days of watching/recording with JRiver...) I re-tried to get zap2xml in MC working without success..There's holes in the xml file I get (missing hours etc...)...

@RoderickGI I really liked your "rant" in an earlier post. No offense taken and very funny and informative :)...Makes me feel less angry about our Canadian government cutting down budget for our national TV and their OTA repeater shutdowns allover the place while being influenced by the cableco lobbyists and refusing to promote OTA for canadians...Our Analog to Digital conversion was a nightmare compared to the US...

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2015, 09:12:21 am »

Thanks.

My Java program is at "java\jre1.8.0_45",  It see you have version ...51 and I have version ...45. So I updated mine - the update creates a new folder "jre1.8.0_51", so if you let Java update you'll need to watch/change the path in your program script.

PS. are you getting any additional/useful info from XMLTVDB?
You could always just create a batch file and use java -jar [path to XMLTVDB.jar].  That should work.  Then you can drop it into your startup folder (in the address bar of My Computer, just type shell:startup, and it will take you to the startup folder...anything in that folder will run at logon).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2015, 09:17:00 am »

You could always just create a batch file and use java -jar [path to XMLTVDB.jar].  That should work.  Then you can drop it into your startup folder (in the address bar of My Computer, just type shell:startup, and it will take you to the startup folder...anything in that folder will run at logon).

ha - you posted this at the same time I was updating my post above.  ;D

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2015, 09:21:03 am »

yeah, just open a CMD window and type java then press enter...if you get a bunch of usage info, then the java executable is registered with the system, and a batch file would work just fine.  I may change my system over to that this weekend.  I may just copy the JRE folder to a new location and reference that in the scheduled task...that way if Java updates, it won't break the path, and Java has a tendency to break code, so I would also not have that risk.

kstuart

« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2015, 11:19:49 am »

Since we are being required to use this thread for EPG DATA issues, then perhaps another thread could be started for technical issues in running XMLTVDB ?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2015, 01:28:52 pm »

Good idea. ;D

CountryBumkin

« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2015, 07:15:43 am »

XMLTVDB doesn't have a GUI, but a terminal window (CMD, console, DOS, or whatever you want to call it!) will show while the JAR is running.  It is mildly annoying to me that it has to stay open, but since this is a headless server, I just have learned to live with it!

So to be sure I understand this,  the "DOS window" needs to stay open all the time. Correct?
I minimized the window and left it running but I have no had the "xmltv.enhanced.xml" file created yet. Perhaps I need to wait a little longer.

BTW, I do seem to be getting season and episode numbers from the "mc2xml" process (at least for the single show recorded since I set it up). If I will always get S and E numbers with just mc2xml, I probably will stop with the xmltvdb process.

gomjabar

• Recent member
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2015, 07:56:57 am »

I have mc2xml downloading the guide data.  But when it tries to parse the data file I get:

"The program guide file is not valid, or does not contain any program information for channels in your channel list"

is this because its a new format? (rovi)
if so can you point me in the right direction to get this working again.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:29 am »

Jim or Yaobbing any updates or plans to fix the EPG issue?

I personally like Kstuart's idea posted on July 28 hopefully that's something feasible..

thx

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2015, 08:44:37 am »

So to be sure I understand this,  the "DOS window" needs to stay open all the time. Correct?
I minimized the window and left it running but I have no had the "xmltv.enhanced.xml" file created yet. Perhaps I need to wait a little longer.

BTW, I do seem to be getting season and episode numbers from the "mc2xml" process (at least for the single show recorded since I set it up). If I will always get S and E numbers with just mc2xml, I probably will stop with the xmltvdb process.
It should happen pretty quickly (5-10 minutes) after downloading the XMLTV file, and you should see a lot of activity in the DOS window.  (and yes, it should stay open all the time.)

My guess would be that the properties file has the wrong paths in it, and is looking at the wrong directory, but that is just a guess.

If the new rovi guide from MS has the season and episode info, then there would be no need for XMLTVDB...I would be interested in knowing if that is the case.  mc2xml does not add it that I know of though, unless the source has the info, then maybe it does.  SD for sure didn't have it for me (although they do have it on the JSON interface, so not sure why it wasn't in the XMLTV file).

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2015, 09:16:11 am »

Gomjabar - I had the same issue which I corrected by de-selecting "auto" in the profiles.

Just select the profile that runs the mc2xml.

I'm not sure of the implications - but that fixed the issue.

I had problems with the auto update until I figured out that I had not entered a zipcode on the first screen of setup.  I had to go through setup again and make sure I entered my zipcode.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up