Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: EPG  (Read 71030 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: EPG
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2015, 09:18:29 am »

The good news is that running the mc2xml program pulls data from the EPG source I selected (I don't want to mention name of source but I'm sure you know what I'm using). The data is complete and looks good. The data is in the file xmltv.xml.  Then JRIver imports this file and it is working nicely. I could stop here and be happy.

But then I run the "extra" XMLTVDB program. In the DOS window there are about 10 lines of code executed and the last line says "monitoring XMLTV folder for activity..." (or something like that). The XMLTV folder is where I have the "xmltv.xml" file generated. It stays on this last line - so I assume the program is running and waiting for some activity (new data) in the xmltv.xml file/folder.

Last nigh the scheduled mc2xml program ran again but there was no file called "xmltv.enhanced.xml" created by the XMLTVDB program. I'm not sure if XMLTVDB is not running properly, or maybe there wasn't any new data added to xmltv.xml file (although the file date changed).

It's only day two of this setup - perhaps I need to wait a little longer to determine if it's working or not.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2015, 09:27:18 am »

no, it should have worked.  Can you PM me you profile file, and the paths where your XMLTV file is stored?  I'll take a look at it.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2015, 09:34:12 am »

no, it should have worked.  Can you PM me you profile file, and the paths where your XMLTV file is stored?  I'll take a look at it.

Sure. But I'll have to wait until I get home tonight. Thanks

gomjabar

• Recent member
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2015, 02:02:52 pm »

Thane108- im not sure what you mean by profiles?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2015, 02:26:28 pm »

Thane108- im not sure what you mean by profiles?

Go to this Wiki page http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/EPG#MC20.2B scroll down to the "MC20+" section and see the fifth setup picture and instructions on profiles. I hope this helps.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2015, 02:48:16 pm »

Jim or Yaobbing any updates or plans to fix the EPG issue?

I personally like Kstuart's idea posted on July 28 hopefully that's something feasible..
You must be referring to the idea to simply change the MC20 data acquisistion code to get the MS Rovi data instead of the (no longer available) MS Zap2It data.

Since both WMC and MC2XML have made that code change, it should not be difficult, especially since MC2XML is a much smaller program and company than MC20 and JRiver.

Just like with Red October automating the video setup, the concept behind using MC20 should be that it automates the process of getting the EPG.   One should not have to run separate programs like "MC2XML" and "XMLTVDB".  (From the above comments, it's clear that setting up those programs is difficult even for techies.)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2015, 04:01:57 pm »

You must be referring to the idea to simply change the MC20 data acquisistion code to get the MS Rovi data instead of the (no longer available) MS Zap2It data.

Since both WMC and MC2XML have made that code change, it should not be difficult, especially since MC2XML is a much smaller program and company than MC20 and JRiver.

Just like with Red October automating the video setup, the concept behind using MC20 should be that it automates the process of getting the EPG.   One should not have to run separate programs like "MC2XML" and "XMLTVDB".  (From the above comments, it's clear that setting up those programs is difficult even for techies.)

MC2XML just pulls EPG data from a source you already have access to (like if your a paid subscriber to Schedules Direct). MC2XML has a box you check if you want data from "Schedules Direct", or "TitanTV" or "Microsoft Legacy" (which doesn't work since the switch) and I think one other source, and TitanTV is dead now too - so it doesn't look like MC2XML is doing any updating.

WMC has the force (and licensing agreement) of Microsoft to get EPG data so it wasn't difficult for them to make the switch (they actually caused the switch from what I understand).

JRiver is relying on a free EPG data source (and there doesn't seem to be a free source anymore, other than downloading broadcast EPG data) so I think they are going to be out of luck. However, I don't know what JRiver is working on - but I hope they "bite the bullet" and pay for a license from Gracenote (or wherever) to supply us with good EPG data. Especially when they are hoping to pick up the WMC users. Just pass the cost along to us Users (I don't mind - as long the price isn't excessive.)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2015, 05:02:09 pm »

kstuart you are correct that is what I'm referring to.  I'd love to get an answer from the MC team and know what the plan is...  :'(

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2015, 06:59:23 pm »

If the new rovi guide from MS has the season and episode info, then there would be no need for XMLTVDB...I would be interested in knowing if that is the case.
To find out, open the XMLTV file that is output by mc2xml in Notepad, and search for "xmltv_ns". You should find lines like the one below.

<episode-num system="xmltv_ns">2 . 9 . 0/1</episode-num>

Note 1: Do not double click on the XML file to open it, as that will open it in your default browser, which will parse it to display it nicely, which can take a VERY long time, and you will have to wait for it to finish before you can search it.

Note 2: There are other Season and Episode numbering schemes used by some EPG sources. Rovi/Microsoft could use a different format. If so you will need to look through the file to work out if the data is in there.

EDIT: As per kstuart's comment below, I was assuming that the donate-ware version mc2xml was being used to get data from Rovi via Microsoft, as that would be the right thing to do.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kstuart

« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2015, 07:01:10 pm »

MC2XML just pulls EPG data from a source you already have access to (like if your a paid subscriber to Schedules Direct). MC2XML has a box you check if you want data from "Schedules Direct", or "TitanTV" or "Microsoft Legacy" (which doesn't work since the switch) and I think one other source, and TitanTV is dead now too - so it doesn't look like MC2XML is doing any updating.
You must have missed the post in the thread where someone reported that MC2XML has fixed the Microsoft code to use the Rovi source - but only the donation-ware version of MC2XML has the fix.

BTW, I don't see any evidence of either MC2XML users or WMC users having to pay anything for the Rovi source.  Since both MC2XML and WMC are purchased (in this instance), then the Rovi source seems to be available for free for commercial use.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2015, 07:13:12 pm »

However, the auto update of the EPG isn't working for me.  I have to go into JRiver and select load EPG.  Then it runs correctly.  So my solution may not be the best solution.

If you have set MC up correctly, then it should load the XMLTV file from the location you specified on the schedule you specified. I have an XMLTV file being created by a third party application (EPG Collector), which just deletes my old XMLTV file, saves a new copy to the correct directory, and then MC loads that file on the schedule I set, which is a couple of hours after the EPG data collection.

So, check through your MC setup for the EPG load. Make sure that the job you have defined is activated and therefore set to run (I forget the terms used in MC, but from memory it needs a tick next to it.)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2015, 07:18:46 pm »

You must have missed the post in the thread where someone reported that MC2XML has fixed the Microsoft code to use the Rovi source - but only the donation-ware version of MC2XML has the fix.

BTW, I don't see any evidence of either MC2XML users or WMC users having to pay anything for the Rovi source.  Since both MC2XML and WMC are purchased (in this instance), then the Rovi source seems to be available for free for commercial use.

Basically, it looks like the situation is returning to status quo, in that Microsoft are paying Rovi for the EPG data, and are letting a whole bunch of people other than WMC users access it for free. I thought Rovi may restrict the use to just WMC users, much like Gracenote restricts Schedule Direct's and their customer use to non-commercial users. But it looks like they aren't. Good on Microsoft once again. I guess they plan to continue to provide EPG data to Xbox One users into the future?

OopsieDaisy

• Recent member
« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2015, 12:18:51 pm »

Basically, it looks like the situation is returning to status quo, in that Microsoft are paying Rovi for the EPG data, and are letting a whole bunch of people other than WMC users access it for free. I thought Rovi may restrict the use to just WMC users, much like Gracenote restricts Schedule Direct's and their customer use to non-commercial users. But it looks like they aren't. Good on Microsoft once again. I guess they plan to continue to provide EPG data to Xbox One users into the future?

No return to status quo here.  My desktop with WMC has Rovi EPG and works fine, but my HTPC with MC, while able to find channels and see Comcast's Rovi, is unable to download any program material.

[signed] NotaHappyCamper

kstuart

« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2015, 12:28:07 pm »

No return to status quo here.  My desktop with WMC has Rovi EPG and works fine, but my HTPC with MC, while able to find channels and see Comcast's Rovi, is unable to download any program material.

[signed] NotaHappyCamper
He meant that the WMC situation has returned to status quo, not the MC situation.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2015, 12:31:11 pm »

Yea, huge disapointment. I'm screwed right now as I don't have the technical expertise that many/most here do to engage work arounds. I'm confident JR is working On a solution but an update on their status or thinking at this time would be, at the very least, be welcome and appreciated. I'd certainly be willing to pay to add this service if necessary. Guys please give us a status report!  

OopsieDaisy

• Recent member
« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2015, 12:36:19 pm »

Guys please give us a status report!

Hear! Hear!  A sticky status report would be appreciated.  This is an important matter for many MC users.  The number of different threads on EPG problems point this up.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2015, 09:57:39 pm »

Thjx Yaobbing for confirming it's not me (ort the fact that I'M canadian :)... How many days can we normally expect out of the native guide? Since Microsoft is now going to Rovi instead of Zap2it will this affect us?

Thx folks. Can't wait to see how my JRiver TV experience will be tonight!!

I guess I've got my answer to this one now...

What I did in the mean time (besides leaving  all my recordings with SageTV)...
Is use 2 zap2xml profiles (two accounts as I need username and password for it to work (free to register) One for ATSC and the other one for the STB.

So...If you don't want to shell an extra 20$ for the mc2xml donator version...Just register to zap2it and have an XML profile or CLI with username password with the extension -D for episode name and season that will work....Only thing missing for me is a detailed description

....BUT....it doesn't work if I run it inside JRiver for some reason...I have to run the CMD prompts separately and have jriver just read the XMLTV.xml file in the profiles..

The missing hours (8 to 11 pm) also came back....Read my previous posts for more info.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2015, 08:14:06 am »

....BUT....it doesn't work if I run it inside JRiver for some reason...I have to run the CMD prompts separately and have jriver just read the XMLTV.xml file in the profiles..

I would guess that it is due to a time-out inside MC that ended the process too early.  I had promised to make this time-out configurable, but have not gotten to doing it.  I will.  But in the meantime please run it in the Windows scheduler.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2015, 09:06:14 am »

Thx for getting back to me Yaobbing.  I will.

Ken83651

« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2015, 01:16:39 pm »

I am still evaluating MC but with all this EPG trouble just don't know if it's worth buying.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the softwares look and performance otherwise.  As a non tech person I find all these work a rounds very frustrating.  If I was tech savvy I would use the free Media Portal.  I am willing to buy MC to avoid having to take a computer programming course just to use it.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2015, 02:37:06 pm »

I hear you; some of us old timers feel that way on occasion (and EPG is certainly that occasion).
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

upallnight

• Recent member
« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2015, 03:22:56 pm »

Isn't patching this a top priority?

This has been broken for over a week and renders the program useless. The fall season is starting soon and I can't record anything. This is beyond frustrating. I purchased the upgrade code for version 21 thinking that would resolve the issue but after applying the registration code, my version remained at 20 and the program guide is still broken.

Why isn't this fixed yet?!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2015, 03:29:52 pm »

It isn't a patch.  And it's not a fix.  It is a change in what is available to MC.  But we are working on it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #173 on: August 05, 2015, 01:10:31 pm »

I'm going to lock this thread and the other EPG threads.  If you find a problem with MC21's EPG, please report it in a new thread.

mc2xml should be fully functional in MC21. 

You can download MC21 for Windows from the MC21 Board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up