INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 9.0.180 - Licensing Question  (Read 874 times)

WendtCreations

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Version 9.0.180 - Licensing Question
« on: September 22, 2003, 01:48:08 am »

Hello,

I hope I can express my logic adequately about this issue; due to the forced-skinning decision for version 9.1 of Media Center, I am one of those few that will, under no circumstances, update to said version.  I still have my version of 9.0.180, and I am very happy to stay with that version.  However, I have a request, which I hope JRiver will take some time to at least consider ....

I am a web developer/beta tester for the company for which I work, and as such, my system gets re-formatted on a fairly regular basis, obviously leading to me reinstalling all of my regular software.  Is there ANY way that a more permanent serial number could be created for those of us who purchased MC9 when we had no way of predicting what JRiver would do to it in future releases?  Of course, this serial would be made to work ONLY with versions 9.0.180 and lower and would NOT activate version 9.1.

The truth of the matter is that my customer relationship with JRiver has ended, but as a registered user of MC9, I would think that I would be entitled to use my paid software for as long as I wish.  For example, even today, in 2003, if you are a registered user of Photoshop version 5 (they are now on version 7) you can still install your version 5, enter your serial number, and continue using your paid software.  The licensing agreement still applies, distributing version 5 remains illegal, and the same would apply to the MC9 software, regardless of its version number.

I do not intend this post to become a debate on either the force-skinning of version 9.1 nor on licensing/piracy philosophies of the software industry.  I am merely submitting a request that users who have paid JRiver for MC9 prior to the information on version 9.1 being made public, be given the ability to enjoy their older versions of MC9 regardless of how many times our lifestyles force us to reinstall our software.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I sincerely hope this will not receive an simple "NO" answer without contemplation.

Most sincere regards

P.S.  I would like to add to this that JRiver stated ealier (in my skins issue thread) that support would only be provided for version 9.1 and later, as in issues with hardware plugins, for example.  I think this is another thing to keep in mind when considering to allow us to freely reinstall our older, and now unsupported, version of MC9 - Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Version 9.0.180 - Licensing Question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 04:03:49 am »

We have given this sort of thing a lot of thought and we have no plans to change licensing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up