INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21 Feature Requests: TheatreView improvements and multi-room endpoints  (Read 2180 times)

slikvik

• World Citizen

Hi,

After discussing my long (15+ years) love affair with MC I mentioned there were two things that have stopped me from upgrading from version 19 which I'm VERY happy with.

My media playback has mostly moved to big screen and I currently used MediaPortal because the TV PVR functions very good. I've tried TheatreView on/off since it's inception but despite it being brilliantly fast and with all my media cataloged (thanks JRiver) it falls over in a few places that I would love to see expanded:

A skinning and plugin system (app store) for TheatreView so I could change the navigation style and add plugins for streaming sites or game emulators etc. For the life of me, my wife and I can't get on with the navigation style, after using MP or Kodi, and I think a skinning/plugin API would be a great way of allowing more a conventional navigation system as well as allowing people to create a theme that suits them. Plugins would greatly improve the appeal if it allowed people to expand on what can be viewed in TheatreView.

Note: I haven't tried the TV features in ages, but TheatreView's PVR support should have an EPG, record one channel watch another, live timeshifting and recording managment. Most importantly, these views shouldn't adhere to the standard navigation principles of TheatreView for the sake of it. If the EPG needs to be navigated in a slightly different way to make the EPG work better, so be it. The Kodi team went through a similar process.

Lastly, I love that there is now a linux version available but I do think there should be a cut down free client that does nothing but receive music from the main application/gizmo. No navigation, no media controls, no libaries...just headless syncronized playback. Creating a multi-room audio system using RPi or similar would be so simple and cheap that I could really see that taking off.

Those are two things that will keep me heavily invested in JRiver for another 10 years!

Thanks for listening.
Vic
(Software developer of 20 years  :P)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

If you haven't tried TV in a while, you may find most of what you want.

There is no free Linux version, but the Master License upgrade isn't too much more than a Windows or Mac license upgrade --  $6.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

The current TV system does everything you listed, including having a different navigation structure.

I currently run several RPi's around the house as headless clients with JRiver for Linux running.  They work great.  Sync isn't perfect, but just about everything else is.

slikvik

• World Citizen

That's great news...maybe just think about the Skinning & Plugin API for Theatre View in MC21 then?  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up