INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mapping Channel Up/Down on MCE Remote Control  (Read 2188 times)

jkitsmiller

Mapping Channel Up/Down on MCE Remote Control
« on: July 10, 2015, 06:07:55 pm »

I just installed MC and am trying to use an existing Windows MCE remote. I seem to have all the buttons mapped, but can't figure out the channel up/down button commands.  In the list of commands, there is no channel up/down.  I have tried Next/Previous, but when I press either channel up/down it tries to change, but it only for half a second shows me what the next channel would be.  But doesn't change the channel.

I'd really like to test MC, but of course need a remote to work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Mapping Channel Up/Down on MCE Remote Control
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 06:11:11 pm »

You shouldn't need to map anything to use a WMC remote (the one with a green button).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:17:12 pm »

You are right. There are no ChannelUp or ChannelDown commands in the MC Options>Remote Control Command list. I thought they used to be listed there.

Certainly those are the commands that work, and are used by my Harmony Remote to change channels. They are the default commands for that action, so maybe they are assumed now. They should work anyway.

Take a look at Options>Television>Channels and make sure that you have a full list of your channels, and that "Next / Previous use favourite channels only" unticked, unless you have set up channel favorites already.

Also as Jim says, you shouldn't have to map any MCE commands in MC. I assume that you have been using the Learned Trigger Code function in MC to assign commands? I would actually suggest that you reset those commands back to the default using the "Restore Default List" button in Options>Remote Control, as MC knows all the MCE commands by default . Then make sure all your channels have been set up correctly in MC.

Look through the TV forum to see if you missed something in the setup: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=11.0
Plus search the Wiki for setup information, such as: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Television  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/EPG
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 01:14:32 am »

The TV Channel Up and Down use the "Next" and "Previous" commands (As if the channel list was a playlist). Or they used to last time I checked.

jkitsmiller

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 07:04:19 pm »

Thanks, I restored commands to default and it works...sort of. Channel up is down and vice versa.  But I can look for help on that one.

But when I do change channels it does sort of a dub step (not sure what else to call it).  When I change the channel it sort of sounds like it is skipping and repeating for a second.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 07:39:20 pm »

Thanks, I restored commands to default and it works...sort of. Channel up is down and vice versa.  But I can look for help on that one.
Just for clarity. I use a Harmony 880 remote usually, but have an MCE remote as well. Both operate the same way for me.

In the Guide the Channel Down button pages down the list of channels. The Chanel Up button pages up the list. As the Guide is sorted from lowest number channel to highest number, pressing channel down actually highlights a higher numbered channel.
When watching a channel live, pressing the Channel Down button decreases the channel number that I am watching by one; So if on Channel 10, MC move to Channel 9.
Pressing the Channel Up button increases the channel number that I am watching by one; So if on Channel 10, MC move to Channel 11.

This is what I would expect it to do.

There is no Previous/Next button on the MCE remote, or at least none labelled that way. On the Harmony 880 there is a previous button, but it is always used to go back to the previous function I was using, like the back arrow on an internet browser, or the Back command in MC, which is how I use it. On my Samsung TV, that Prev(ious) button is defined as ChannelPrev(ious), which is consistent with the PVR I used to use. i.e. The Prev button takes you back to what you were previously watching. I just have that button mapped to Back on the Harmony now, for MC use. So I don't know if MC uses internal commands of Previous/Next, but the Harmony sends ChannelUp/ChannelDown commands to MC, and to the TV when I use it directly.

So are the Channel Up/Down buttons actually reversed for you, or do they just work differently to your expectation?

But when I do change channels it does sort of a dub step (not sure what else to call it).  When I change the channel it sort of sounds like it is skipping and repeating for a second.
Some tuners do take a little while to change. The skipping repeating sound is MC synchronising the video with the sound from the OTA signal. If you say what tuner hardware you are using, someone with the same hardware may be able to comment on what is normal for it.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up