INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC has added folders from Drive I didn't ask it to search, now have triplicates  (Read 1723 times)

Jay Fora

• Recent member

Hi, I'm new to JMRC, search wiki and forum, but didn't find solution to this. I have 3 Drives on my laptop, 'C' 'D' , and an external usb drive 'E' that I use for back up only -I never access it for anything else. I pointed JMRC Library to only watch certain folders in 'D' drive, and a couple in 'C' and it's done this correctly .But it's added all the media files from 'E', causing duplicates and triplicates in MC library. I double checked and Neither 'E' drive or any of it's sub folders are listed. What happened, and how do I fix this please? Thanks, Jay

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Set your auto import settings in Tools > Import.

To remove duplicates, first back up your library, then search for e: and delete the files from MC.  Use a "soft" delete (del key only) and read carefully.

Try a few before you do very many.

Jay Fora

• Recent member

Thanks for your suggestion Jim,
The problem with deleting those entries imported from drive E, one by one, is that there is over 2000 of them. So I need a shortcut. Every album has double or treble listing for each track. Also, I need to understand how to prevent MC from putting them back in.
I Did a new search on the wiki and forum using different search terms and found advice to use the smartlist function. In 'create a new smartlist' I selected 'custom' and entered what was suggested
 [=Is Missing([Filename])]=1 However what appeared in the smartlist showed me I needed to put something different in the brackets. How would I get MC to make a smart list only of tracks imported from Drive E?
How do I stop MC from including anything from Drive E in the first place, if leaving Drive E out of the import list doesn't do this already?
.Here's what else I have tried so far.....

1) Checked that auto import definitely doesn't have E drive included in folders to monitor.
2)double checked setting to remove broken links is enabled
3)Done a very basic re run of auto import, without everything it's capable of, so it didn't take 12 hours again.

I could clear the library, and start all over again, but I am not confident that is the answer.  Hope you or someone has a solution, as I can't use MC library in this condition - don't want to hear each track in an album repeated. Thank You, Jay

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

The following smartlist rule will return all files from E:\

Code: [Select]
[Filename]="E:"
Copy the code, hit the "Import/Export" button in the bottom left of the smartlist editor, paste, then OK all the way out.

All files listed will be from drive "E".
Select all, press the delete key, pay very careful attention to the three options presented, you want the top one, "Remove from media library".

That should be your library all sorted.

"How did that happen in the first place?"
If there are definitely no entries for drive E:\ in your auto import settings, the only thing I can think of is that you were caught with the 45 second auto import countdown on first run of MC with an empty library. When that kicks in, it drags files from all over the system into your library, even the program files folders (last time I checked) and is most often not desired, but heyho, we've thrashed that one to death over the years, and let's not start that argument up all over again, eh ;)

-marko

Jay Fora

• Recent member

Hi Marko, Done! Thank you so much :) Now I can just enjoy my albums. Have a good day, night, wherever you are, Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up