INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 21 (Future Requests)  (Read 8216 times)

TopDownDriver

• World Citizen
MC 21 (Future Requests)
« on: July 11, 2015, 09:36:38 am »

Now that Microsoft is phasing out WMC, let me inquire as to the following feature requests.

1. Support for the CableCard tuners from Ceton and HDHomeRun.
2. TV Guide Support in the 10' Interface.
3. Support for the MyMovies add-in (they are currently looking to support a new base app and JRiver would be perfect).
4. Extender Support - an Xbox One version would be ideal in accomplishing this
5. PVR Support

In other words a complete WMC replacement.  We are all wondering where to go now that Microsoft has made its intentions to EOL the application.  I know this is not for MC21, but some indication of a move in this direction would be ideal.  All of the other potential solutions are simply "hacks" and not suitable for a family living room.

Thanks

DoubtingThomas

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 21 (Future Requests)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 09:43:03 am »

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate N back in 2010 and I seem to remember that some "unrelated" programs would no longer work, I kind of think MC was one of them.  I had to install WMP using a Microsoft "media pack".

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 09:49:22 am »

Now that Microsoft is phasing out WMC, let me inquire as to the following feature requests.

1. Support for the CableCard tuners from Ceton and HDHomeRun.
2. TV Guide Support in the 10' Interface.
3. Support for the MyMovies add-in (they are currently looking to support a new base app and JRiver would be perfect).
4. Extender Support - an Xbox One version would be ideal in accomplishing this
5. PVR Support

In other words a complete WMC replacement.  We are all wondering where to go now that Microsoft has made its intentions to EOL the application.  I know this is not for MC21, but some indication of a move in this direction would be ideal.  All of the other potential solutions are simply "hacks" and not suitable for a family living room.

Thanks

I'm confused, most of this is already in the windows version of MC?

1) There currently is support for CableCard Tuners.  I run an HDHomerun prime at home right now and it works great, and my understanding is that Ceton is supported too.  There are issues with copy-once and copy-never content, but, at least in my neck of the woods, 99% of content is copy freely, so it works for everything but HBO.
2) The 10 Foot interface currently has TV Guide support in it.
3) No idea
4) Also no idea
5) MC currently allows for programmable recording of TV content.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 11:00:00 am »

I'm confused, most of this is already in the windows version of MC?

I agree.  Though with item #1 it is worth noting that MC does not support encrypted content on CableCard devices, where WMC does/did.

That is not a solvable problem, but worth noting.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:12:57 am »

What does My Movies add that JRiver doesn't provide?
I used My Movies with WMC before I started with JRiver (around MC17) but eventually migrated 100% to Media Center (I couldn't see any reason to "maintain" two programs)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 12:15:28 pm »

people keep saying (not just this thread) that MC can't support cable cards copy once/never...but there is a software package in active dev right now that is going to support it.  It will work on Win, OSX, Linux, and Android.  It's not that it can't be done...it's either/both the cost, or having to modify some core aspect of the application in a way that JRiver doesn't want to.

TopDownDriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 03:17:04 pm »

The biggest thing then I guess is EXTENDER SUPPORT.

Again, the Xbox One would be ideal, should JRiver decide to support it.  It would be an amazing app.

I personally don't see the need for an Android app. as JRemote works (almost) perfectly - could fix the sorting of albums though.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 03:26:30 pm »

people keep saying (not just this thread) that MC can't support cable cards copy once/never...but there is a software package in active dev right now that is going to support it.  It will work on Win, OSX, Linux, and Android.  It's not that it can't be done...it's either/both the cost, or having to modify some core aspect of the application in a way that JRiver doesn't want to.

While its in theory possible, its not practical, very expensive and would make 90% of MCs more advanced features unusable, practically requiring an entire new implementation of a lot of core functions inside MC.
The requirements to obtain a license for this are quite extreme, and not viable.

You should really petition the cable companies to get with the times and drop their antiquated DRM protection concepts - all they do is annoy honest users anyway, if I want to be dishonest i'll use the internet.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 03:26:54 pm »

Xbox should work now if you play to if from MC..  

drhyoung

• Recent member
MC 21 Multi Zone Video Playback Enhancement Request
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 03:51:35 pm »

Hi,

Just a request for making Video/Monitor fully multi-zone.
(It may exist already but I haven't been able to get all the pieces of the jigsaw to work together.)

The requirement: a single PC supporting multiple independent monitors/GPUs, and the users of each monitor would like to interact with "their" monitor's MC using Theater View.

If I select the existing Option "Allow Multiple Instances to Run at One Time", I can never get the same instance to "stick" to the monitor of a particular zone.
In practice, what I have running is a single instance with Theater View on the default monitor and we use JRemote to try and get a movie to play on a monitor in a secondary zone. That usually doesn't work, so we interrupt the person watching on the default monitor and use AirMouse/MobileMouse to drag the secondary zone's detached window from the default monitor to the monitor belonging to the secondary zone. It's not quite passing the wife/teenage kid test.

It looks like all the functionality is there, but it seems like a few tweaks, or maybe just a wizard, is needed to get it all working (or maybe some help for this user?).

Thanks.
David

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 04:04:19 pm »

What is MyMovies add-in?

MC can import data from MyMovies xml files.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

greynolds

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 07:29:35 pm »

While its in theory possible, its not practical, very expensive and would make 90% of MCs more advanced features unusable, practically requiring an entire new implementation of a lot of core functions inside MC.
The requirements to obtain a license for this are quite extreme, and not viable.

You should really petition the cable companies to get with the times and drop their antiquated DRM protection concepts - all they do is annoy honest users anyway, if I want to be dishonest i'll use the internet.
MC may want to take a look at the DVR project that SiliconDust is currently working on.  They're supposedly going to include support of copy once content (ie: HBO) as part of that project.  Based on their Kickstarter campaign, it doesn't sound like the cost to implement this is really all that high.

greynolds

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 07:35:46 pm »

Regarding DVR functionality, I've been using MC's DVR functionality to record some shows in parallel with Windows Media Center (running on separate PC's) and have found MC's recording functionality to be rather lacking by comparison.  Just a few specific examples: 1) I've found that MC often records more than 1 copy of the same episode of a show. 2) I've found no good way to do something like record all the Boston Bruins hockey games during the current season.  Neither of these is an issue with Windows Media Center.  As a number of us have said before, the MC team should take an in depth look at the recording functionality of Windows Media Center as there is a lot they could take away from that exercise to improve the recording functionality in MC.  There are a few threads where a number of specific recommendations have been made that haven't been implemented yet.  Hopefully some of it will happen in MC21.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 07:54:59 pm »

2) I've found no good way to do something like record all the Boston Bruins hockey games during the current season.

That should be pretty easy.

Pick an episode and click the 'Record' button and pick 'Subscribe'.  Hopefully the rest will be self explanatory.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

greynolds

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 10:16:59 pm »

That should be pretty easy.

Pick an episode and click the 'Record' button and pick 'Subscribe'.  Hopefully the rest will be self explanatory.

I won't be able to try it again until hockey starts back up in the fall, but when I tried setting this up last season it just didn't work properly.  IIRC, it wanted to record a bunch of old games (classic games are often played when the sports networks don't have live sports to play), missed recordings when the games were on different channels, recorded replays of recent games, etc.  Sports can be a tricky beast to record as not all games are on the same channel.  For the Bruins, most of the games are on NESN (a local sports network owned by the Boston Red Sox that covers the bulk of the Bruins games too).  But they can also be on NBC Sports Network (they typically cover games that the NHL feels will be big for ratings), NESN Plus (a secondary NESN channel that's typically used when there's a conflict with a Red Sox game), and sometimes NBC.  I'm pretty sure I posted the issues I ran into with this last time I tried it and I don't recall seeing any updates to MC to address the problem, so I don't expect it will work any better now.

audiocrazy

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 02:13:31 am »

I want the ability to retain the library settings when upgrading to newer version.
When i upgraded from MC19 to MC20 the library settings were not copied from MC19 and I'd to redo everything from scratch in MC20.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 06:39:26 am »

I want the ability to retain the library settings when upgrading to newer version.
When i upgraded from MC19 to MC20 the library settings were not copied from MC19 and I'd to redo everything from scratch in MC20.
That works now.  You could have restored an MC19 library backup and retrieved your settings that way.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 07:32:06 am »

Lip Sync adjustment in Theater View.

greynolds

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 08:22:36 am »

Since this is the TV forum, it probably makes sense to stick to TV related functionality in this thread and post more general requests in the appropriate general MC forum.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 10:12:09 am »

Lip Sync adjustment in Theater View.

If you go to Tools>Options>Video>Advanced, there is a A/V Sync correction feature. Does this not do what you need?

TopDownDriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 10:32:19 am »

Personally, I would like to see MC21 evolve into having the best PVR and extender support on the market.

I would also love to see a "Modern" interface version which would by default support the Theater View mode as its default.
Pages: [1]   Go Up