INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nameless on streaming problems  (Read 1509 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Nameless on streaming problems
« on: September 19, 2003, 03:23:27 pm »

[A post by user "nameless" moved from the bug thread]

Streams are still a total nightmare to work with in MC...  Find one that doesn't respond well, and MC freezes and must be forcibly terminated.  Click a stream at the "wrong" time (such as when another stream is buffering), and MC crashes.  This is making MC totally unbearable for me...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Nameless on streaming problems
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 03:24:09 pm »

Please provide a few links as examples so other people can try them and report the results.

Thanks.

nameless

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 10:53:48 am »

I am running MC 9.1.256 on WinXP.  If I go to "Web Media", here are some examples of what can happen:

1) Load "Radiostorm [Alternative] - [Rock] [128k]" into "My Stations".  Click it to load the stream.  (This is a good example to work with because the "Radiostorm [Alternative] - [Rock] [128k]" is always either very slow, or fails to load altogether, for me.)

2) While the above stream is in "Buffering..." status, try to load the "BBC News 24 - [News] [33k]" stream which appears under "Featured Stations".

After that, on my system, MC freezes and never comes back, or it simply crashes.  The problem will not (always) occur if I wait long enough for the stream from (1) to load or fail to load--I generally have to try clicking a second stream while another is in "Contacting" or "Buffering" status.

This isn't a 100% reproducible problem, in the sense that steps (1) and (2) will always lead to a crash or freeze, but it's a very persistent problem, in that it happens very often, under the general set of circumstances outlined above.

If (1) and (2) doesn't reproduce the problem for you, try clicking one stream, then another, then another, then another, in quick succession.  For me, this makes MC freeze every single time.  I know it's easy to say not to be so rough on MC when playing streams, but please understand that this is just a way to get the problem reproduced on your system--for me, I don't have to try that hard to break it (besides, MC shouldn't freeze regardless).

nameless

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 11:06:17 am »

So it's really just me?  Has anyone tried "clicking one stream, then another, then another, then another, in quick succession", as I suggested?   ?

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 01:31:05 pm »

I had a lot of problems with streams with my old motherboard (VIA-based).  It was pretty much as you described:  some worked, some didn't.  I don't have problems at all anymore except that sometimes after listening to a stream for awhile then switching to local mp3s causes the sound to be glitchy like a badly encoded mp3.  Only solution to this is to restart MC.
Toast goes in the toaster.

nameless

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 03:01:33 pm »

Winamp 2, which I recently uninstalled, worked great with streams--anything I threw at it.  Since I hate that thing, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to reinstall it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up