INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something went wrong with playback.  (Read 3604 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Something went wrong with playback.
« on: July 14, 2015, 12:10:42 pm »

I recently bought up to the master license, and yesterday I successfully played from my server (Windows based) to my Mac without issues.  Today, any file I try from the server library, I'm getting that message.  I worked through the Audio Setup guide to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.  I have my audio output set to the standard Built-in Output, no DSP setup.  If I switch to a local file, it plays.  I can however, jump into WebGizmo and play files without a problem.  The library is certainly loaded (I can browse files that I just added, since the playback stopped working).

Ideas to try?  Thanks!

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Something went wrong with playback.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:47:16 pm »

Have you tried restarting MC on the Mac?  Not sure what would cause this.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 01:14:11 pm »

Have you tried restarting MC on the Mac?  Not sure what would cause this.

Yup.  Tried that at some point.  I think right before I disconnected from the server (switching to the local library) and then switching back to the remote library.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 01:39:58 pm »

Have you tried playing multiple formats?  On the Mac, in Options > Media Network > Client Options, are you converting to a format?
Adam Thompson, JRiver

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 01:52:56 pm »

Have you tried playing multiple formats?  On the Mac, in Options > Media Network > Client Options, are you converting to a format?

Ah ha!

I had it set to Convert audio if necessary (MP3 High Bandwidth).  I changed it to Always Convert - same error.  I changed it to Never Convert - and it plays.  My library server is almost 100% FLAC based, but I do have a handful of MP3s for whatever reason.  When I play those, I get the playback error message. 

When I flip to the local library, I have more MP3s because this is my laptop, so I want more music, less space.  I can play those without a problem.

So now I can play, but that doesn't make much sense to me.  Doesn't WebGizmo convert the audio as well?

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 02:06:06 pm »

Glad it works!  Strange converting isn't working.  Can you play MP3s on the server itself?
Adam Thompson, JRiver

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 02:08:03 pm »

Does the server have a valid and working internet connection?  Because it's going to be needed for the first conversion to MP3.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 02:15:08 pm »

Glad it works!  Strange converting isn't working.  Can you play MP3s on the server itself?

The server itself actually doesn't even have a sound card* (it's a VM inside Lubuntu), so I've never tried.  But just now, I fired up JRemote on my Android and was able to play the aforementioned MP3s that I do have in that library.  Seems it's just within MC on my Mac that I can't play an MP3 to, but can play a FLAC.

Does the server have a valid and working internet connection?  Because it's going to be needed for the first conversion to MP3.
I realize from your question that I wasn't clear on that part.  I'm outside of my server's network right now, so WebGizmo is using the internet connection to my server.  So yes, it does have a valid connection because I am able to stream music from the server to WebGizmo (and in non-converted formats).

Thanks!

EDIT: * maybe it does have a sound card, but it doesn't have speakers, so I have no idea :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:31:19 pm »

Someone else was seeing some weirdness related to MP3 playback/conversion recently with fairly similar symptoms: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98569

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 02:46:10 pm »

Someone else was seeing some weirdness related to MP3 playback/conversion recently with fairly similar symptoms: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98569

Very similar...  I'll have to check when I can if I could convert on a copy of MC for Windows.   I don't have a Windows machine available for the next few days, but will later this week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up