INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to JRiver and just imported my first CD. All songs from album show as albums  (Read 2444 times)

Gregovich

I highlighted all the songs and updated the tags, but all songs still show as albums.
I have noticed that they are .ape files
What did I do wrong?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

Did you "rip" a CD or "import" files?

If you go to Tools>Options>Encoder you can pick the "default" audio format you like (for next time).

You can also convert those ape files to something else if you want. In standard View go to Audio>Files, select the file(s) and right click, go to Library Tools >Convert Format.

Listener

• MC Beta Team

CountryBumkin gave you a way to convert files.  However, the ape format isn't likely to be the cause of your problem.

Look at what's in the album and artist tags for the songs.  If the Artist tag values are different for each of those songs, MC will treat them as separate albums.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Also look at Album Artist.

blgentry

The last two guys have it right.  Is the album you imported (ripped) a compilation?  Like a soundtrack or something?  If so, it probably has different artists for each song.  So JRiver is treating it as separate albums.  The fix is easy.  Highlight all the songs and select Tag (right click to find it or on the menu).

In the Tagging Pane on the left, find Album Artist.  If it doesn't show, click the square in the upper left and select "show all tags".  Once you find Album Artist, give it a value.  Multiple Artists is one people use a lot. Various is another.  Or if it's something like a DJ album, the name of the DJ that put it together is good.

Once all the songs have the same Album and Album Artist, it will all appear as one album.  You may have to refresh your albums view to see that.  Just go somewhere else and go back to Albums and it should all be one.

Good luck.

Brian.

Gregovich

Well it is odd. I did change the author tag on all songs and after a while they all moved into the album except for two. Songs 6 and 8 are on their own in another album.

blgentry

Compare the songs that are "out of album" with the ones that are correctly placed in the album.  In particular, look at the Album Name, Artist, and Album Artist.

One way to do the comparisons is to highlight one of the songs in the album and one song out of the album.  Then right click and select Tag.  In the Tagging Pane on the left you'll see the tags of the files.  By doing two at one time you'll get to see what tags are different.  Tags that are different between the two files will say "Varies".  If Album or Album Artist are different, there's the problem.  :)

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Brian.

eezetee

• World Citizen

Not to detract from JRiver but I use a program called mp3tag to mass tag many files. It's also easy to tag them before import so I know it's all correct and I can clear any Genre tags, then add.  Or the Artist-Title name from the filename quite easily.

I suspect the above is a compilation and the album artist field (as JimH mentioned) is different for each album.

I also had similar issues with files with foreign characters in the names.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

Not to detract from JRiver but I use a program called mp3tag to mass tag many files. It's also easy to tag them before import so I know it's all correct and I can clear any Genre tags, then add.  Or the Artist-Title name from the filename quite easily.

I suspect the above is a compilation and the album artist field (as JimH mentioned) is different for each album.

I also had similar issues with files with foreign characters in the names.

I also use this mp3tag in addition u can remove the cover and replace it with better and larger art!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up