INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Integrating 3rd Party Players in MC (eg for Full Menu and 3D Bluray Playback)  (Read 60344 times)

TorqW

• World Citizen

yep - sounds a smart solution. As ever!

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Integrating 3rd Party Players in MC (eg for Full Menu and 3D Bluray Playback)
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2015, 08:25:49 pm »

Try this one, where:
PDVD will launch PDVD in "Classic Mode" and
PDVDC will launch PDVD in "Cinema Mode" (this is what we had before)

I had to make a slight change to the path the was being passed for BD structures as the one I had originally worked in Cinema Mode but not Classic Mode (go figure!)

I still don't have a better soln to stop MC from reacting to Key Presses so that existing put TheaterView into the "Exit" screen is still there but if you use this script from STD View this does not work and MC will then try to play another video when you press stop.  If that is a problem I will need to think of another way.

Edit - Removed Old Version
JRiver CEO Elect

TorqW

• World Citizen
Re: Integrating 3rd Party Players in MC (eg for Full Menu and 3D Bluray Playback)
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2015, 09:36:35 am »

Many thanks Nathan. Will test over the weekend. Can't wait.

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2015, 01:13:11 pm »

Hi Nathan,
Doesn't quite work yet:
- opens PowerDVD but a small window comes up saying: "Cyberlink PowerDVD is currently running. You must first close it before proceeding." (see attached image)
- then over the top of it PowerDVD (classic) opens and plays the movie correctly
- HOWEVER, none of the rc command trapping you built works and the STOP button doesn't work
- I suspect that this is because the other window (small error window described above) is the one that has the focus

any thoughts?

thanks again!
TW

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2015, 07:01:59 pm »

I don't see this on my PC and it is not from my script.  Couple of things to look at:
- Could it be that you have some form of PDVD or it's running in the tray?
- How are you Playing your media? If it a physical disk or ISO that is being mounted is Windows Autoplay also trying to run PDVD at the same time?
- Does it happen when using PDVDC as well as PDVD as the player option?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2015, 03:56:36 am »

Hmmm. None of the above!

- Not running in the tray, but from Task Manager I can see that there is also a PowerDVD process running in the background, but this closes when the main program is closed, so I guess this is a normal process.
- Playing BDMV folders over a network
- No, PDVDC plays fine (but still quits randomly to the Movie Library screen that just shows all other films in the directory above - weird)

- I'm running Windows 10...so wondering if that's the issue?

This happens on all 3 installations (running the latest PDVD update), even after rebooting.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2015, 07:29:37 am »

mmmm I'll have a another look tomorrow - I'm also running Win10 on the HTPC playing BDMV folders over the network as well.
JRiver CEO Elect

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2015, 01:39:20 pm »

Have tried again, and the new version of the script seems to cause no end of problems for PDVDCinema too.
Just copying it over and leaving the settings exactly the same other than changing to PDVDC, invariably crashes PDVD.

Did you change anything else other than add the new PDVD section?

Also, do you still have the original version that closed MC before opening PDVD? I'd like to try that on one of my set ups to see how that works.

Thanks again!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2015, 03:40:08 pm »

I don't know why PDVD would be crashing but I'll check how it works on mine.  Are you using the script or the compiled version?  

Edit - the only other change I made was instead of passing "....\BDName\" I am now passing "....\BDName" as PDVD Classic did not like playing BD's with the trailing "\"

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2015, 08:56:15 pm »

OK -I updated to MC21, the latest version of AHK, and the recent PDVD Patch and found my script was trying to run PDVD twice as well.  No idea why it was fine before.... (or it could have been that I used a 64 bit version of the complier last time by mistake)!....  :-[  Anyway, try this one out.

Also the Commands are now:
"PDVDClassic" and
"PDVDCinema"

to keep the difference between the two modes more obvious

Thanks
Nathan

Edit - Removed Old Version
JRiver CEO Elect

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2015, 05:35:02 pm »

Ok! The PDVD Classic works like a charm - thank you! For some reason I can't get it to remember deinterlace settings but I'll figure that out (nothing to do with your script).

Will try PDVDCinema on my other rig (replacing the old script) and see what happens. I'm relative certain that it was also trying to open pDVDC twice too so will be interesting to see how it fares.

Actually, I may well try this where PDVDC used to crap out as maybe this was due to it being called twice too.

Either way - this rocks - thank you hugely.

Will revert with my findings ASAP.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2015, 06:10:24 pm »

Xlnt. I did not get the time to test all combinations so it would be great if you can check the different combos.  FYI - I think the issue with running twice came when I added the code to let you re-launch PDVD by pressing the "0" button when you had it crashing. 
JRiver CEO Elect

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2015, 03:36:09 am »

OK, so on my other rig when I switch to PDVDClassic it didn't switch to full screen automatically (the windows taskbar was showing), necessitating a press of F5 (from memory) to go full screen.

Anyway I switched back to PDVDCinema and all was good. Much quicker startup too given that it wasn't being triggered twice.

Final test (hopefully this eve), will be to see if PDVDCinema on my main rig is more stable now that it isn't being called twice (hoping that was the cause of the instability given that no one else seems to have this sort of prob with PDVD). Either way it's great having the flexibility to choose either, as the classic version has a better ability to be tweaked in terms of audio/video sync and image processing.

Otherwise this is an absolutely excellent solution for watching Blu-Rays with menus - just terrific to be able to easily watch all the special features again when I needed.

A huge thank you.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2015, 04:29:43 am »

Thanks for the report.  I too see that Classic does not jump to Full Screen but in older versions of PDVD there was a check box to do this on playback.  In my quick look I could not find it however or the command line parameter (both of which would be neater than pushing a F5 keystroke just for PDVD Classic but I could do this if needed).

If it all looks OK - I'll update the OP with the latest build and instructions. 
JRiver CEO Elect

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2015, 03:13:31 am »

Unfortunately it does look as though an F5 keystroke might be the only way to do this (I couldn't find anything on the web as regards command lines to do this). You might want to check in with your contact at cyber link to see if they're going to reimplement that checkbox.

Otherwise this is now a very solid solution. Many thanks again.

Any word from the jriver devs about resolving the command eating that MC does?
Also, any word from cyberlink about implementing 3D MKV playback?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2015, 04:44:46 am »

Thanks for the testing.  I've bumped the requests with both JR and Cyberlink and will let you know.  I'll also have a play with Fullscreen in Classic Mode and see what I can figure out.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2015, 05:07:40 am »

I've a Q.  Most of the time I want to play media in MC.  Occasionally I may want to play it in a 3rd party player live PDVD to get access to the BD Menus to get access to extras, eps, alt endings etc.  

At present in MC we can specify by file type to play in MC "OR" use an external player, but it is one or the other.

Do you think it would be worth asking for JR to add an option to enable a choice so when playing media in MC a Diag box then asks if you want to play the item in MC or the External Player?

I'm thinking something like attached.
JRiver CEO Elect

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2015, 08:21:38 am »

Ah, now that is an interesting question. Whilst I agree that the extra menu would be in some ways a neat solution, it does make the experience a little more clunky.

One way might be to have your suggestion in the bar above once the movie is selected (in theatreview). Currently when you select a film from your library by clicking on the image, it takes you to another screen which displays a bigger version of the movie art and the movie description text. At the top of the screen there are several options, I.e. "Back", "Watch", "Tag" etc. How about inserting another option next to "Watch" called "Watch (external player)"? Just a thought as it wouldn't change the flow and keep it a "family friendly" experience.

My current solution is as follows: I've set up a new option on the main screen under "Video". Next to the "Movies" category I have created a new one called "PowerDVD". For every blu-ray in my collection I have created a "particle", and each particle I have tagged as an "OGV" Ogg video (as I have no OGV and never will). Under file types I have designated these to be played on PDVD via your script. The PowerDVD menu item I created only shows the OGV particles, so selecting any movie in the PowerDVD section will automatically your script. Bit of a pain to set up but once done it actually provides quite a smooth solution.

Hope that makes sense.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2015, 09:47:21 am »

Next build:
NEW: For playback you can select "Ask at playback time" and MC will ask if you want to play internally or launch a program.

Yippee, right ;D
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2015, 10:38:07 am »

Nice one Matt.
That will make my life a heck of a lot easier.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2015, 03:49:28 pm »

:) to both!

Torq - I too was using the workaround of swapping "FileTypes" on a file for different behaviours but did not consider two DB entries. 

Looking forward to seeing how Matt's addition will work!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2015, 04:11:27 pm »

Wow that was quick - Just posted the following in the Build Thread in case anyone missed it:

Thanks Matt works, including with "Play All" (eg for example if you select a bunch of tracks --> Play All, MC will only ask the once which is perfect!).  The Default of being "Play inside Media Center" is also good.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2015, 08:02:44 pm »

Just think out loud on how best to use the new "Ask at Playback Time" feature. 
- Most of the time I just want to Play in MC. 
- The only time I may want to use an external player is when I need BD Menus or for 3D. 
- I mostly rip all my content in native formats but occasional use Discs

Looking at file types in MC and the Playback Method, I'm thinking:
- 3D (BDMV3D / MK3D) = always External Player
- MPLS (BD Playlists and Particles) = always MC (as I've already picked out my track so no need for Menus)
- BDMV = Ask at Playback Time (as Mostly MC, Sometimes External Players (for menus))

Of course in MC BDMV and MPLS are mixed as one Filetype, so my options for these would be to
1) enable "Ask at Playback Time" and see if the xtra step is OK (as Torq discussed). 
2) make a little script that can toggle the playback modes (RC Command or Theater View Pop Up Menu) between Ask, External, Automatic.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2015, 12:52:58 am »

Here is another version of the script for testing. 

I found a couple of things:
- Sometime PDVD Classic was opening Full Screen but Sometimes not
- Toggling Full Screen is the "Z" key, F5 toggles Maximise
- On closing the PDVD Window there were still PDVD processes running (could have been causing some of the issues when re-running PDVD)

Additions to this version of the script are:
- Pressing "0" will toggle PDVD (both classic and cinema) Full Screen if it is running (or as before will re-run PDVD if it is not)
- On "Stop" it will also track down and close any PowerDVD Process if it was PDVD that the script ran.

As usual - let me know how it goes.
JRiver CEO Elect

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2015, 06:33:01 am »

Hi,

is there a way to get this working on a Client/Server System.
PowerDVD opens but with Error message, that it can't play this specific filetype. (MKV and 3D BD Iso)
Is this a location problem, because PowerDVD normally can play Mkv, 3D BD Iso's etc...
If i select this files directly with PowerDVD -> No Problem
Would be nice i f i could use this script on my Client machine.
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2015, 05:56:18 am »

Hi - I too use Client / Server setup (all mapped drives use UNC format) and works with BD Structures and MKV though I've not tested ISO (but will do).  Can you tell me:
- what string are you using in MC eg "[Filename],PDVDClassic]"
- example of the "filename" that is shown in MC for the MKV and ISO , eg \\MAIN\Media\Video\Test\Name.mkv

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2015, 11:31:27 am »

Sorry for the late response. Didn't have much time until now.

I tested it exactly with the same settings as you suggested:

-string using in MC eg "[Filename],PDVDClassic]"
-example "filename" that is shown in MC for the ISO:
\\SERVER\Filme_2\Filme_2\HD-Filme   [3D BluRay]\Edge of Tomorrow   [Uncut - 3D BluRay]\Edge of Tomorrow.iso

And i'm using the last script you posted.
Everytime PowerDVD 15 starts fine, but comes with the error message that this filetype is not supported by PowerDVD???

When i try to play exactly the same file directly with powerdvd, everything works just fine.
And i also tried it with MKV ->same error message.

One more question: (If i can get this working)
-Is there a problem when i change the filetype of this mkv's only in mc to mk3d? Would be great.
Only to get this 3d mkv's starting as standard with powerdvd?

Onkyo TX-NR906

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2015, 02:46:43 am »

Mmmm I'll have a better look tommorow (nothing easy to see), but the PC with PDVD on it is currently occupied be the family watching content (no sense of priority!!) :)

Also the command should be: "[Filename],PDVDClassic" without the extra "]" but I presume that was a type by both of us.
JRiver CEO Elect

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2015, 12:30:30 pm »

Yes, that's true.  :D It was a 'copy & paste' error, but in mc it is right without this 'extra' "]".

Onkyo TX-NR906

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2015, 04:41:59 pm »

mmmm I may have to close MC when running ISO.  So I "think" what is happening is if MC is running when PDVD mounts the ISO, MC scans the new mounted disc and for some reason breaks PDVD from then playing it.  When MC is not running, PDVD plas the ISO just fine.

Can you do a test for me with a simple batch file attached (you may need to edit it if I have your paths wrong), make sure PDVD is not running then run the batch file:
1) with MC running
2) without MC running

and let me know what happens on your system
JRiver CEO Elect

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2015, 05:40:17 am »

First of all, a BIG Thank YOU.

I will try this batch file when i come home from work.
Onkyo TX-NR906

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2015, 10:37:19 am »

Ok, i tested your batch file. (I had to edit the path to PowerDVD 15).
Then started the batch file everytime as Administrator. Only for Info: On first start windows defender blocked the batch file.

1. Test without mc 20 running:
No problem. PowerDVD started the movie like it should be. The only thing was that PowerDVD seemed to freeze for about a minute and then it mounted the iso and started playing the movie.

2. Test with mc 20 running in the background:
Same behaviour as before without mc running, BUT when i stopped the movie, mc comes on the top of the desktop and was freezing until i switched to PowerDVD (with Task Manager) again and closed it.
After that freezing stopped and an error message from mc 20 appeared: Something went wrong with playback. Error (hr=0x80004005)

Hope that helps a littlebit...
And thanks for taking your time to solve this problem.
Onkyo TX-NR906

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2015, 05:05:31 am »

I think the only way around this is to close MC during playback and start it again when finished.  I'll add an option to the script so you can specify to close MC.  It may take a couple of days to push out an update
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Sorry - did not quite get it finished! 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Ok, try this one.  It has a new option where you can specify for MC to be Off/Closed during 3rd party playback (and it will then be reopened). 

Argument="[Filename],PDVDClassic,N3D,MCOff" : The N3D and MCOff are both optional and can be in any order

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Matt this is another example where it would be good to have a MCC command that left MC running (to process the Audio) but not respond to:
- MCE Commands
- Scanning Media
JRiver CEO Elect

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen

Hi,

i tried it again with this Argument="[Filename],PDVDClassic,MCOff" and your latest upload.

But with the same error message from powerdvd: This filetype is not supported.....
Tested with mkv & iso.

I don't understand why powerdvd plays this files with no problems, if i start them from powerdvd itself, but starts with this message when
i try to start them through mc 20???
Onkyo TX-NR906

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

What OS are you running (I'm on Win10)
JRiver CEO Elect

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen

I'm using Win 8.1 Pro x64
Onkyo TX-NR906

TorqW

• World Citizen

Hi Nathan,

Can you post the previous version again please, as the latest version doesn't work for me for some reason. The stop button doesn't work!

I've been away recently, but will take a look and see what's going on over the weekend.
Peculiar behaviour. Are you using the latest compiler and version of PDVD?

Cheers

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I too have been away but can have a better look on the weekend.  Do you know what the date was of the version that last worked for you?
JRiver CEO Elect

bhampster

• World Citizen

I see this thread has been dormant for a while.

I am trying to set this up but have been having a hard time.

In my case I have a Nvidia card with Stereoscopic Player and most of the trouble I'm having comes from the PC trying to manage the 3D display mode turning on and off. Also Stereoscopic player doesn't exit but maybe that's my fault (I may need to edit the script)

I have 1000 of my Blus currently in JRiver and all of my music but there is a box of 110 3D movies on the shelf where my wife wants to "organize" and I would much rather get them somehow working in JRiver but not if it makes the existing system buggy.

I don't know weather to keep trying to make this work or try to find a compact elegant storage solutions for the 3D discs and just use my BDP for those. I guess the best answer is add them to the server because the server does everything BUT this.

-Brian

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Hi Brian,
Happy to look at the script again but I'm away for a few days.  Are you trying to play the 3D BD from the HDD or from Disk, and what bits are not working?  I don't have a full copy of SP and my testing was with the Demo version that has probably expired but it was working when I tested.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

bhampster

• World Citizen

Shorter version below.

bhampster

• World Citizen

I think everything works perfectly now.

Thanks Again... I'm truly enjoying the enhanced capability. I can now put my 3D movies onto my servers and play them back in either the default 2D or with 3D via external player. It's perfect.

In my case I use an Nvidia GPU (GTX750) and I can re-state that to make the given script work you need both Nvidia 3DPlay activated and Stereoscopic Player installed. I didn't need to make any modifications to the given script or instructions.

-Brian

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Thanks Brian for the feedback, and happy it is working  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

stevenjw

• Junior Woodchuck

Next build:
NEW: For playback you can select "Ask at playback time" and MC will ask if you want to play internally or launch a program.

Yippee, right ;D

I like this and would use it to decide if I want to watch 3D .iso with MC in 2D or in 3D launching an external program.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Thanks to the work by Hendrik and Madshi this thread may not be needed much longer for 3D playback - more here!!
JRiver CEO Elect

stevenjw

• Junior Woodchuck

That's great, but I just bought PowerDVD 15 Ultra today!!!   >:(   I just installed it and set up your scripting and MC for 3D and it works great.  No issues at all, so I will continue to use it for 3D for now.  Most of my 3Ds are stored as .iso which work fine with Virtual Clone Drive running or on BDs which work with AnyDVD HD running.  Your work allows MC21 to call PDVD for 3D and I'm very happy with the "Ask" option too since I can opt to play them in 2D within MC if I want.

About the only thing I could use is for an option in the script to switch desktop settings before to 4K and back after like MC does for 4K mp4 files.  It's no big deal since MC works.  It's just that playback of 4K can be problematic if it doesn't match the options provided in MC for displaying.  I'm hoping that PDVD does a better job, but it looks like it's tied to the desktop settings.  :(

I'll keep playing around for now and follow the mkv 3D support thread too.  Hopefully, it's not just for mkv 3D rips, but full 3D support.  I'm still on Windows 7, but will upgrade to 10 soon.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

FYI - the script has the ability to change Display settings (it currently records what is the display setting when launched and returns it to those settings when finished).  A previous version allowed you to you to manually change it as well (using RC buttons like 2=23hz, 5=50hz, 6=60hz) but I took this out.  It would be easy enough for me to either add something like this back in such as
- a config file that you could edit to customise what the default settings would be on startup of the script or
- what a button press would set
- or if the title of the file has something in it like "Play4K" that I could map to a config

.... but it would depend on what you are trying to do exactly.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up