INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Client/Server TV - No Television tuner is available....  (Read 22519 times)

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
Client/Server TV - No Television tuner is available....
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:09:07 am »

I'm getting the "No television tuner is available to fulfil your request. Please make sure you have a device that is not in use" error when attempting to access TV content from a client instance of JRiver.

I have a fresh install of JRiver 20 on a Windows 7 server. I went through the TV tuner setup and scanning process. I have successfully tuned channels and they playback just fine on the server. There are 2x DVB-T tuners installed, both of which are included in the profile I set up.

I set up media network with authentication on the server.

I connected to this library on a fresh install of JRiver 20 on a Windows 10 client system. When I click on Television in the UI on the client instance, I see all the programmes listed. When I click 'watch', I get the above error.

There are no firewalls enabled on either the server or client.

When I check Television -> Advanced -> Show Status on the server after the above attempt, I see what's shown in the attached image.

It seems that the server has tuned the channel and is serving it to the client but client is having issues accessing.

Help appreciated.

I've failed to find much reference here in Interact or on the Wiki to how to go about setting up a client/server TV system. Maybe someone could point me to the step by step instructions?

Many thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: HELP: Client/Server TV - No Television tuner is available....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 10:23:19 am »

Can you play recorded TV (not live)?  Or any video?

Try this on both the server and the client.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:49:22 am »

I can play both recorded TV and other video files on both the server and client.

(the attempted recordings show up when I click on the video option in the side menu)

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:59:13 am »

When that happens, try again to play the same channel on the client.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:12:30 pm »

When that happens, try again to play the same channel on the client.

I get repeated instances of the "No Television tuner is available..." message

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:25:30 pm »

Please email me a log.  I will take a look tomorrow.

yaobing at jriver dot com

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 12:30:00 pm »

Please email me a log.  I will take a look tomorrow.

yaobing at jriver dot com

Many thanks. Logs for both client and server instances forwarded by email.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:48:42 am »

Hi, wondering if those logs revealed anything?

In the meantime , I set up another client on a different win 8.1 machine and that exhibits the same problem, pointing towards an issue on the serve r side or with the network?

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 07:12:52 am »

Yeah, there is a problem on the server side on your machine.  I do not know why it failed, but it seems that we could not create a memory shared file on the machine.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 09:21:27 am »

Is there anything special about your T: drive?

I am asking this only because I have no other things to think of.  Also, your recording folder is the root of T: drive.  I want to make sure that is your intention, and not some freak bug that randomly put the recordings there.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 12:18:54 pm »

Is there anything special about your T: drive?

I am asking this only because I have no other things to think of.  Also, your recording folder is the root of T: drive.  I want to make sure that is your intention, and not some freak bug that randomly put the recordings there.

Nothing particularly special about T drive, it's an ssd dedicated to TV recording (hence recording folder at root).

It was my timeshift drive when using argustv.

Should I try moving recordings to c drive as a temp measure? (it will be a few days as I'm away at the moment).

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 01:59:36 pm »

Should I try moving recordings to c drive as a temp measure? (it will be a few days as I'm away at the moment).

No.  You may keep it where it is.  I was just trying to make sure that it is your intention to have it at the root.

rjtt64

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 02:36:09 pm »

Im getting the same thing. I have had a working installation with clients(3) server. All of them now fail with no television tuner available, but I can connect to audio, video, and remote desktop from the client to the server. I realise its patch tuesday, I realise theres been a jriver release, wonder if something has been pooched because of that. I also checked my firewalls for media centre which allows domain tcp and udp and its connected as a domain.

My environment, is windows 8.1 64 bit server and client MC 20.0.131

Any ideas?

Thx

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 02:54:27 pm »

Im getting the same thing. I have had a working installation with clients(3) server. All of them now fail with no television tuner available, but I can connect to audio, video, and remote desktop from the client to the server. I realise its patch tuesday, I realise theres been a jriver release, wonder if something has been pooched because of that. I also checked my firewalls for media centre which allows domain tcp and udp and its connected as a domain.

My environment, is windows 8.1 64 bit server and client MC 20.0.131

Any ideas

Thx

Well, I don't have a prior installation to reference as I just started trying to get this working last Saturday.

Worried that you're seeing this change from a previously working install.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 07:17:49 am »

There are a number of threads that appear to be covering the same problem:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99123.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98802.0

Yaobing has advised that some change was done in Build 118:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98802.msg685710#msg685710

I can report hassle free operation, where the SiliconDust HDHR DVB-T tuner re-establishes network comms and function with MC after waking from PC sleep is working for me on Build 117 with the latest firmware/software:
http://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/
dated 20150615.

One for Yaobing to work through the change at Build 118 and restore the functionality that's gone adrift, I reckon.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 03:16:54 pm »

Thanks for that detailed updated.

Right now I'm evaluating JRiver to see if it fits my needs as an all-in-one networked media centre (including PVR) to replace media portal/argusTV combo.

Not a great start - I'll wait in hope for a fix/solution.

Thanks again

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 03:52:47 pm »

http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v20/latest/MediaCenter200115.exe

This build works fine for tuner sharing to clients. Use this one until they fix the problem...

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 04:18:52 am »

http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v20/latest/MediaCenter200115.exe

This build works fine for tuner sharing to clients. Use this one until they fix the problem...

Thanks. That worked fine.

However, I don;t think I'll be sticking around for the fix. The TV implementation seems very clunky compared to other solutions, the channel change time is substantial and the xmltv / channel setup is laborious to say the least (no way to filter encrypted channels that I can see, no way to 'hide' all channels and switch on only the ones you need). Back to Emby / ArgusTV I think.

Hope this gets fixed soon for others though.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 07:23:08 am »

There is a "hide channels" feature that's easy to use. Television >TV options>Channels>Hidden Channels. You just put a check mark next to the channel(s) you don't want.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 08:05:47 am »

The latest builds should automatically filter out encrypted channels for ATSC and DVB tuners.  There is no way to filter CableCARD channels. 

As CountryBumkin mentioned, channels can be hidden by user.  The easiest way is to go to TV Options > Manage Channels, in particular if your channel list is long.  You can also do it directly at TV Options, in "Channels" section.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:54 am »

There is a "hide channels" feature that's easy to use. Television >TV options>Channels>Hidden Channels. You just put a check mark next to the channel(s) you don't want.

I have 900+ channels detected, of which about 75% are encrypted. Putting a checkmark next to the ones I don't want takes a very long time.

Other tuner UIs have the ability to auto-hide encrypted channels. Very handy in such situations.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 10:13:47 am »

The latest builds should automatically filter out encrypted channels for ATSC and DVB tuners.  There is no way to filter CableCARD channels. 

As CountryBumkin mentioned, channels can be hidden by user.  The easiest way is to go to TV Options > Manage Channels, in particular if your channel list is long.  You can also do it directly at TV Options, in "Channels" section.

Can't use the latest builds due to client/server issues. However, even when I had it installed for testing, I didn't see an obvious means to do this?

Might try again once the client/server issue is resolved.

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 04:10:21 pm »

I have 900+ channels detected, of which about 75% are encrypted. Putting a checkmark next to the ones I don't want takes a very long time.

Other tuner UIs have the ability to auto-hide encrypted channels. Very handy in such situations.

Use TV Options > Channels > Manage Channel.  Block select all channels that you want to hide (holding down shift key and/or ctrl key might help).  It is still a hassle especially if the unwanted channels and want channels are all mixed perfectly.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 04:12:13 pm »

Can't use the latest builds due to client/server issues. However, even when I had it installed for testing, I didn't see an obvious means to do this?

Might try again once the client/server issue is resolved.

Thanks

Do you know which build introduced the client/server issue?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 01:02:17 am »

i have gone back to  200115 for the time being as i want access to all my tuners without this problem.

Interestingly the latest build has broken something else. If i try to use a client pc that now does not see any tuners neither.

Yaobing what ever was changed between 118 and now has severely disrupted our tv features of JRiver. Anything we can do to help.... logs etc let us know.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 03:55:10 am »

Yaobing what ever was changed between 118 and now has severely disrupted our tv features of JRiver. Anything we can do to help.... logs etc let us know.

This is the only entry in the change log for Build 118 that I can see that relates to TV:
20.0.118 (6/10/2015)
2. NEW: MC will dynamically detect addition or removal of analog (WDM) and digital (bda) television devices, so one will not need to restart MC to start using the new devices.

Hopefully, good news is not far away.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 08:48:43 am »

meep had a client-server problem, which may be different.  That was why I asked about the version.  The problem of losing tuners after sleep hopefully is fixed.  That was indeed caused by the change in build 118 that astromo quoted.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 11:03:48 am »

If currently try to watch something via a client running latest build on both server and client it fails with the usual no TV tuner to satisfy request. If I go back to 115 on my server only and still use latest build on client all is ok with serving client

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 01:48:43 pm »

If currently try to watch something via a client running latest build on both server and client it fails with the usual no TV tuner to satisfy request. If I go back to 115 on my server only and still use latest build on client all is ok with serving client

I reverted to 115 on both server and client and all is working. Didn't try server only.

I'm not sure what version I encountered ethe problem on. It would be in the logs I sent through to Yaobing. I did not try any other versions.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 01:56:54 pm »

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 02:06:09 pm »

Great news if it does fix the problem however there is still the issue of client sharing that's still broken is this being worked on?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 06:55:10 pm »

Interesting. I'm still on 20.0.126 for both server and client, and I can play live TV on my client no problem. Well, I do get some synchronisation issues, video to audio, but that is because I am trying to show the video at a very high resolution, I think. At 1920x1080 it is fine.

I've never seen a "No television tuner is available to fulfil your request. Please make sure you have a device that is not in use" message. Ever.

The TV Tuner Status is correctly show as serving a client.

Maybe this has some relationship to the tuners being used. Mine is a DigitalNow Quad DVB-T tuner. Nothing special, although it was designed for Australian conditions, and I guess the BDA driver works well.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 12:32:30 am »

Maybe its a bda issue but why if I go back to 115 build on my server does the client sharing problem go away? I'm going to try MC21 over the weekend and see what happens 😁

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 11:07:25 am »

Tried latest build MC21 and still the same problem .........If currently try to watch something on a client running latest build MC21 on both server and client it fails with the usual no TV tuner to satisfy request. If I go back to MC20 115 on my server only and still use MC21 latest build on my client play back of live tv is fine.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 09:59:08 am »

Jim suggested moving this post so this thread looks similar

Watching TV on a client is still broken  error says  "No TV tuner available".   Status on server says "Serving client"

Any news on when this may be fixed as I'm still running MC20 Build 115 due to this problem.

Anyone else experiencing this issue................... no problems using MC20 115

JUST LATEST MC20 BUILDS SEEM BROKEN FOR LIVE TV FROM CLIENTS

JimH

• Administrator

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 10:05:04 am »

nope.

If I install MC20 build 115 on my current Server all my clients work happily serving live tv from the server. As soon as I install any build after 116 the clients do not play live tv . Something has changed since that build and I think Yaobing did suggest a change in 116 that may have caused this.

I am currently sticking with 115 but youtube doesn't work on this version so its less than ideal.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 07:32:42 pm »

Davey, with MC20.0.132 on the server, when you can't watch live TV on a Client, then on the server under Options/Television/Advanced/Show Status all your tuners are still shown I take it? Also, one of the tuners is saying "Serving Client". But live TV doesn't work. Correct?

If not, and no tuners are displayed in "Show Status", if you go into Options/Television/Channels/Manage Channels, don't change anything, but click "Done" to exit the dialogue, then check the "Show Status" again, are the tuners now all displayed?

If the tuner were all displayed from the start, try doing this:
1. Make sure that any Antivirus and Firewall on your server and the client you use to test are set to show popups if they block any activity. Make sure they aren't in silent or automatic mode.
2. Close all MC Clients.
3. Turn off Media Network in Options/Media Network on the server. Click OK to exit the Options dialogue.
4. Close MC on the server. Wait at least one minute for all background MC processes to close fully. If you like, you could reboot the server here instead. But the wait should be enough. You could also check Windows Task Manager to see that all MC components have closed.
5. Restart MC, and turn on Media Networking again. Watch for any activity from your antivirus and firewall software. Allow anything that pops up from these.
6. Test if live TV works on a Client now. Again, watch for any activity from your antivirus and firewall software. Allow anything that pops up from these.

Let us know how you go.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13:50 am »

Yes the tuners are present and correct the problem is when serving a client one tuner says "serving client" but ultimately the client says no tuner to satisfy request.

I'll try what you suggested a little later and report back. Thanks for your response

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Client/Server TV - No Television tuner is available....
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 12:59:07 am »

just tried your suggestion and still on both clients "No television tuner to satisfy request".....................Server says that its serving client!

Back to build 115 for me then.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 02:49:44 am »

It is a strange issue, that is for sure.

As I said earlier, it worked for me on version 20.0.126, and it is working for me now on version 20.0.132. As I said earlier, I am only using DVB-T tuners. Also, I set up TV ages ago and haven't redone the setup since then.

Since I posted that originally I had my first ever "No tuner Available" message, on version 20.0.126. The tuner status showed no tuner detected at all. But I just went into the Manage Channels dialogue, backed out and the tuners had shown up, then TV worked on the client again. So it was a transient issue.

I think there is something particular about your setup, although others have seen similar problem. Most though have sorted the issue, or given up I guess.

I suspect you will have to wait for Yaobing to be back at work, and capture a log of the problem, on both the Client and the Server. Although it sounds like the server is the main area of the problem.

Keep trying. It should work, so it should be fixable.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 08:03:07 am »

its been an issue for a long time and for some reason is being ignored as an issue or isn't reproducible but others have the same problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13:31 pm »

We're not ignoring your report.

Did you try the suggestions above about antivirus?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 01:41:59 pm »

Yes I have tried all the suggestions.  Just frustrating not to be able to use MC21 that I have paid the licence for and I'm still stuck on an old build of MC20

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 01:44:25 pm »

I'm also happy to help supply logs or try beta versions if necessary!

Regards

Dave

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2015, 01:56:30 pm »

Dave,
Did you uninstall your virus checker?  What is it?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2015, 02:24:09 pm »

I just use windows antivirus. I have excluded it as requested and it makes no difference. Whatever change was made after build 117 has caused this problem. Not antivirus!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2015, 02:49:00 pm »

That's what this user was using, too.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99553.0

You would need to exclude MC on both machines.

There are many such problems caused by antivirus programs.  See the "Weird Topics" link in my signature and the link in the first post to antivirus problems.

The fact that an old version works and a new version doesn't is not proof that the problem is in the program.  It could be, but it could also be an antivirus problem or a driver issue.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2015, 02:57:37 pm »

I understand that, and I have excluded both server and client on Microsoft antivirus ... just a bit stuck what to do at the moment

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2015, 07:25:42 pm »

Well, given that it is working for me, and many other users, it has to be something about your system.

I don't normally recommend uninstalling stuff to try and fix problems, but I think you are going to have to make perfectly sure that neither antivirus, firewall, or malware software is blocking the transmission of the TV stream over your network. It is quite possible that the version of the decoder codec in 20.0.115 and below is correctly registered with such software, but a new version as of 20.0.118 is not. I have seen that before.

As TV works on the Client when the Server is running 20.0.115, I recommend that your next step is to completely uninstall all the above types of software, just for the test period, on your Server. You will need to reboot the PC several times I assume in doing so, but make sure you have a clean boot before starting testing. Also, check under Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center (windows 7) to be sure that no antivirus, firewall, or malware software has been restarted by Windows, as it has a nasty habit of doing so when you uninstall existing software.

EDIT: I think it would be a very good idea to reinstall MC 20.0.132 over the top of your existing installation, in Administrator mode, after you have all the above software uninstalled, and have done a clean reboot. That may allow some components to be correctly registered in Windows, which may have been blocked previously. In fact, just doing this may fix the overall problem, and allow you to reinstall all security software without the issue returning. But test one piece of security software at a time anyway, as below.

If you are willing to do that, you may be able to isolate the problem to one of the security software applications you usually use, by reinstalling one at a time and checking when the TV streaming to a Client stops working. Then you may be able to find something in the logs of the software causing the problem, or in the Windows Event Viewer, to isolate the problem. At worst, if you identify software causing the problem, you can start discussing setup with other users who use it with MC.

Let us know how you go with that, if you decide to go ahead.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up