INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client/Server TV - No Television tuner is available....  (Read 22520 times)

Adcom

• Recent member
Re: Client/Server TV - No Television tuner is available....
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2015, 02:28:22 am »

There are some issues with TV tuners not being identified at the moment. All builds after 20.0.115 are not always seeing available tuners.

When MC is first started none of my 4 x DVBT/T2 tuners are listed when their status is checked. Only after tuning to a TV channel are they then recognised and listed when the status is checked.

Furthermore, when a TV recording is set in the future and I am watching a different channel, MC wants to change to the channel to be recorded, even although 3 x tuners are showing as idle.

So, it's not an issue only affecting daveyravey.

Regards
Mike

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2015, 03:05:12 am »

Already done that. A complete reinstall of windows 10 and all antivirus disabled leads to the same problem but as soon as i remove 20.0.132 and re install 20.0.115 on the server only everything works as expected!

See what Yaobing says next week until then ill stick with 20.0.115

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2015, 04:44:54 pm »

Already done that. A complete reinstall of windows 10 and all antivirus disabled leads to the same problem but as soon as i remove 20.0.132 and re install 20.0.115 on the server only everything works as expected!

See what Yaobing says next week until then ill stick with 20.0.115

I was having all sorts of issues with tuners in MC20 from build 118 onwards:
20.0.118 (6/10/2015)

2. NEW: MC will dynamically detect addition or removal of analog (WDM) and digital (bda) television devices, so one will not need to restart MC to start using the new devices.

I rolled back on MC20 and MC21 has been behaving nicely, so whatever was done, the problem appears to have been resolved.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2015, 09:16:59 pm »

This thread is worth a read: MC 20 hangs on close [SOLVED].

Read the last post first, to see the solution.

Also note; disabling all antivirus is not the same as uninstalling it and making sure no other antivirus gets activated by Windows. i.e. Windows Defender.

I'm not saying that this problem will have the same solution. As I mentioned earlier, I did see the problem once, probably because I was watching live TV from a Client a lot prior to the problem occurring. But it was fixed just by going into Options/Television/General/Mange Devices once on the server and OKing my way back out.

So there is possibly a weakness in the new 118 code, that may be affected by external applications such as AV software.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2015, 01:18:46 pm »

Now that your back Yaobing any ideas what may be causing my trouble? I have tried everything covered in this thread and I'm kind of stuck now having to stick with MC20 build 115 after 117 something broke live TV playback on my clients.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2015, 03:53:45 pm »

I am still not able to reproduce the problem.  So it is hard for me to get a handle of it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2015, 07:31:58 pm »

Yaobing, I have only seen the problem once, and that was on version MC20.0.126. But I don't run TV from a Client all that often, as many people do. That may be the common element.

I suspect that the one time it did happen, it was because I had been running TV on a client quite a lot, starting and stopping various channel, switching channels, etc. That is, forcing the server to allocate tuners many times. Since I have four tuners, it took a while for the problem to appear, but when it did, I had no tuners listed in the "Show Status" dialogue on the server.

All I had to do to fix the problem was go into the Television "Manage Devices" dialogue on the server, and back out again. I don't think I even hit OK to exit, just cancelled out. The tuners then all reappeared in the "Show Status" dialogue, and TV started working again on the Client.

Interestingly, I have a Webcam on my Client PC which appears as an available analog Television device on the Client. However, this regularly disappears from the "Show Status" dialogue, until I go into the "Manage Devices" dialogue, then it reappears. If I close MC and reopen it, the Webcam has gone again, and doesn't reappear even if I allow lots of time, but does as soon as I go into the "Manage Devices" dialogue. That behaviour did start some time in the past, as the Webcam used to always display, I think. It could have been around MC20.0.115, but I don't really know.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2015, 12:40:56 am »

The only thing I know for sure is the change happened a couple of builds after 115 . I can't prove which build as I only have the exe for 115

Could it be tuner card related? I have 2 different dual PCI e tuner cards one DVB-T2 and one DVB S2.

For sure though I only have to run 115 on my server for all my clients to start working again as soon as I install a later build 118 onwards the clients refuse to playback live TV

Will a log help from a client? Or both? Server and client?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2015, 08:02:53 am »

The only thing I know for sure is the change happened a couple of builds after 115 . I can't prove which build as I only have the exe for 115

Could it be tuner card related? I have 2 different dual PCI e tuner cards one DVB-T2 and one DVB S2.

For sure though I only have to run 115 on my server for all my clients to start working again as soon as I install a later build 118 onwards the clients refuse to playback live TV

Will a log help from a client? Or both? Server and client?

A log from the server will probably help, but you can provide a log on a client too.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2015, 10:41:49 am »

Yaobing

logs from client and server just emailed to you. Live tv started on server then also on client . client said no tuner device available

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2015, 10:45:50 am »

the server did crash after I clicked ok on the client (saying no tuner to fulfil request)

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »

Did the logs help Yaobing?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2015, 03:39:44 pm »

Yes, somewhat.  I see something went wrong, but still can not pinpoint to a cause :(

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2015, 03:49:20 pm »

Anything else I can do to help let me know. For the time being I will stick with 115 on my server that works fine a shame though as I lose all the new functionality and cannot even install MC21 😢

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »

Why can't you install MC21?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2015, 12:30:52 am »

if I install mc21 on my server I cannot use live TV on my clients because of the problem of no tuner available after build 117 it affects mc21 as well

Adcom

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2015, 02:41:40 am »

It's not just a client / server issue, same problems here and I only have MC running on 1 PC.

Regards
Mike

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2015, 06:20:42 am »

I am going to try to configure a different machine as my server and see if that makes any difference.
I want to try and nail this as I have paid for a license for MC21 and it does not work for clients. Whatever the bug is it has been carried over from MC20 build 117 >

Yaobing I could maybe help nail it down exactly which build it broke if someone can send me the exe links for build MC20 116 & 117?

regards

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2015, 07:28:58 am »

if I install mc21 on my server I cannot use live TV on my clients because of the problem of no tuner available after build 117 it affects mc21 as well

I see.  When build 21.0.4 or higher is out, please try it.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2015, 02:39:01 am »

will do. soon i hope  ;D

Kelleyjray

• Recent member
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2015, 10:06:56 pm »

I am having the same (or similar) problem with MC loosing access to my tuners.  I have been doing some experimenting and have found that this happens on a fresh reboot and only when the Media Server is running.  When the Media Server is off, I see all tuners under Show Status...  When the Media Server is on, I see no tuners under ===Television Devices=== in the dialog box.  To re-establish connection to the tuners, all I have to do is visit Manage Devices..., select a tuner, click configure, and then back out.  After this, I can select any channel and the program starts. I can then go back to Show Status... and all of the tuners are back under ===Television Devices===.  I have rebooted over 15 times, and this same issue occurs 75% of the time.  25% of the time, the tuners work as they should.  I am running version 21.0.3 and have attached the log file.  Please help as I am loosing trust in MC.  I have lost some program recordings already.  I updated to the latest 21 build because I noticed that the logging was changed to help resolve this issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2015, 01:41:37 am »

Are you using MC in client / server mode?  You mention Media Server.  In other words, are the "lost" tuners ones that are normally available on a client?

If so, your recording should be set for tuners on the server, and the clients should be only used for playback.

Yaobing, this use case probably needs a thread devoted to it, with good instructions.

Kelleyjray

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2015, 09:41:18 am »

Maybe I have caused some confusion.  I am using MC on one computer - both for recording and watching recordings and live TV.  My understanding is that the MC Server must be running as a service on the computer to record scheduled programs.  HOWEVER, my issue is NOT about watching recordings, its about watching live TV.  When the MC Server service is running, I can't tune live TV because I get the "no tuner available" error.  No recording is taking place and it is on a fresh reboot.  To correct this I have to go through the "manage devices" procedure I mentioned in the previous post.

Sometimes... I can reboot the system, point to a channel, and the live "stream" begins with no problems - 25% of the time.  And 75% of the time, I reboot the system, point to a channel, and get the "no tuner" error.  This does not sound like improper usage to me, but a flaw in the program.  I have ran Windows Media Center for years and I have no issues with the tuners disappearing and reappearing after clicking a few buttons.  I am trying to help because I want this to work.  I have put money into this program.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2015, 09:52:11 am »

i keep repeating this but if i go back to MC20 build 115 tv tuner issues dissapear. The "no tv tuner" error does seem random.
Last night as an example i turned MC on and no tuners were being used but still got "no signal or no tv tuner error" after a few minutes of channel changing the tv tuners suddenly started working again.

Maybe its different tuner types or different signal types that causes the problem. My issue now is i cannot use Mc20 as the guide does not longer work with older builds so im stuck with MC21 with tuner errors and not being able to use my clients for live tv.

Anything i can do to help maybe with beta builds as my case seems quite specific i am happy to help!

regards

Dave

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2015, 09:52:21 am »

This appears to be another example of recent problem of tuner not available.  I am still investigating.

Just a little clarification.  Media Server is just part of MC that runs in the background when the GUI is not running.  It is needed (unless you make sure MC itself is running) for scheduled recording.  It is different from "Media Center 21 Service" that runs as a Windows service application.

Your observation that the error occurs when Media Server is running is a curious one.  I will do some testing with that.

Kelleyjray

• Recent member
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2015, 10:03:24 am »

As I posted, the tuner error only occurs when the Media Server is set to start/run on reboot.  Then I set MC to start only the GUI, no problem, the tuners work as they should. Also, my tuners are shown under "Show status".  When the Media Server is set to start on reboot, 75% of the time the tuners are "lost" when the system reboots and are not displayed under the "show status".  Hope this helps.

Kelleyjray

• Recent member
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2015, 10:05:48 am »

I guess the point I am trying to make is that this can be reproduced (at least in my case) by rebooting the computer and testing if the tuners are available each time.

Riverer

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:34 am »

Same problem here, but I may have a new piece of information to add: when I select 'Watch' on my client, the server gets the message and tunes to the selected channel (as indicated by 'TV status' and being able to watch that channel locally), but nothing gets back to the client (hence it displays 'No tuner available...'). After this the client-server connection gets stuck in a deadlock: the server shows the tuner as 'Serving clients' and won't release it until the client has finished with it, but the client never finishes with it because it is not receiving anything to finish with.

So the specific problem in my case is that the stream started by my server is not reaching the client. Restarting the server resets the deadlock such that TV watching works normally when viewed locally on the server. Selecting 'Watch' on a client then locks it up again so I start getting 'No tuner available...' on the server (understandable given its status of 'Serving clients').

Therefore, if anyone has the same behaviour and is running tests, note that only the first try at watching from a client is valid - after that the tuner is genuinely not available (until the server is restarted).

Here are some other details for clarification and context:
  • I'm Running JRiver 20.0.131 in server mode on a Windows 8.1 PC and the same version in client mode on a Windows 10 PC (both 64-bit).
  • As others have said, simply going back to JRiver 20.0.115 on the server fixes the problem - don't even need to restart the client. Can go backwards and forwards between versions with no rebooting and problem comes and goes consistently.
  • Disabling Windows Firewall on both PCs had no effect. I only use Windows Defender and other people have tried disabling that so I've not repeated it.
  • I'm using an August DVB-T2 USB stick. Other devices are connected to the server but disabled within JRiver. There is no TV hardware on the client other than a webcam, which is disabled in JRiver.
  • When starting the server, TV Status shows no devices at first, but then lists them after a visit to 'Manage Devices'. I don't think this is relevant however, since the problem occurs even after ensuring the status of all devices is being shown and the one being accessed by the client is idle.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2015, 07:24:08 am »

Yaobing

Just tried latest build 21.0.04 and same problem with client sharing missing tuners etc. I have emailed you log files from my server and 2 clients. Hope this helps fix the problem.

regards

Dave

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2015, 01:33:39 pm »

Yaobing

Just tried latest build 21.0.04 and same problem with client sharing missing tuners etc. I have emailed you log files from my server and 2 clients. Hope this helps fix the problem.

regards

Dave

Thanks for the logs.

The server log revealed a bug.

One of the clients could not make a connection due to networking problem.  The other timed-out probably due to the server bug.

Please try the following file (Media Center 21.exe):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltxfoz2nh00wtgt/Media%20Center%2021.zip?dl=0

Download, unzip.  Copy to MC21 (21.0.4) installation folder, replacing existing file.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2015, 05:26:29 pm »

Thanks Yaobing all seems ok now. Thank you so much for all your effort resolving this... much appreciated within the community I am sure !

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2015, 06:30:40 pm »

FYI - Got this problem for the first time and it was on both a Library Server Client and the "main" MC instance (21.0.4) with a HDHomeRun.  Not sure how I 'fixed' it (I could play and see the device from HDHomeRun utils) but had to also add in the Post Code in a reconfig.  Not much help I know.  If it appears again I'll try Yaobing's patch.
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2015, 07:04:07 pm »

If you got the error not on a client, it may be a different bug.  You might fix it by just going to TV Options > Manage Devices - you should see all your devices listed.

If it happens again, please try the patched file.  It also contains some code changes for this bug, but the fix is not verified.

Adcom

• Recent member
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2015, 06:13:53 am »

I'm still having problems with TV Tuners, currently using 21.0.6. When a TV recording is set in the future and I am watching a different channel, MC wants to change to the channel to be recorded, even although 3 x tuners are showing as idle.

Would really like this sorted.

Regards
Mike

There are some issues with TV tuners not being identified at the moment. All builds after 20.0.115 are not always seeing available tuners.

When MC is first started none of my 4 x DVBT/T2 tuners are listed when their status is checked. Only after tuning to a TV channel are they then recognised and listed when the status is checked.

Furthermore, when a TV recording is set in the future and I am watching a different channel, MC wants to change to the channel to be recorded, even although 3 x tuners are showing as idle.

So, it's not an issue only affecting daveyravey.

Regards
Mike

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2015, 09:25:55 pm »

I concur I see this as well. Send a log into Yaobing he can investigate then!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up