INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV not working  (Read 8546 times)

PeterJ

• Recent member
TV not working
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:31:37 pm »

I am looking for a Windows Media Center replacement. I have used WMC for a number of years on a home grown Windows 7 computer streaming TV to Linksys Media Center Extenders. The systems has a cable card and the Ceton PCI-e 4 channel card.

I am experiencing the following TV situations with JRiver R20. I have not tried to stream the signal. The below indicates what I am seeing on the server console.

1.   Can download guide correctly

2.   I cannot tune to the traditional cable channels. I get a black or a gray screen. The status bar seems to indicate that the channel is being received. When I change channels to any other channel, the status bar indicates that the channel has changed and the transmission appears to be stopped.

3.   If I tune to the local stations, I get a very good signal and picture for the first channel I select. When I change channels (to a local or traditional cable channel), the picture freezes.  The channel appears to change and receives the transmission.

4.   WMC continues to work fine. It’s not used when JRiver is active.

I am about 1 week into the 30 day free trial. I like what I have seen with JRiver. Would like to keep it. If I cannot stream TV to my televisions (Not the Linksys MCE's), JRiver is not a good WMC replacement for me.

THANKS in advance for your help,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: TV not working
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:47:46 pm »

I moved this to the TV board.

Take a look at the EPG thread on this board.  Microsoft has made changes that affect the guide.  Read some of the last posts.  It should have a happy ending.

Encrypted cable programs won't work, but try a search for Cablecard here.  There is some support for it.

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:01:55 pm »

Thanks for moving to the correct board. Wasn't sure where it belonged.

As a clarification, let me advise that the program guide is fine; everything looks OK there. Can't get the video to show in most cases.

I'll check, as you suggested.

THANKS for the direction,

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 07:03:35 pm »

P.S. I fairly certain that the channels I'm trying to see are not encrypted.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 07:19:22 pm »

Ah. I was just about to ask if you watched encrypted channels on your cable card. If you search this TV forum for "encrypted" and "cable card" you'll find that JRiver can not support encrypted channels, and won't (or is extremely unlikely to) due to licencing issues.

JRiver should be able to stream content to your networked TVs, as long as they are DLNA capable. That is, they need to be DLNA Renderers that JRiver MC can send content to. Of course your network has to be able to support the load, which will probably be a bit higher than when using your MCEs, due to DLNA overhead.

List the exact model of your Ceton and someone may be able to tell you if they have that model working.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 07:46:23 pm »

The Ceton is the Infinty 4 PCI-e board. Have had it since it was announced. Works fine with WMC.

THANKS for the response,

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:15:47 pm »

I assume you mean the Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI-e card. This one: http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-4-pcie/

In which case, it should work, if it is set up correctly. Did you find this post and set it up this way?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83318.msg568748#msg568748

Yaobing is the main developer of MC TV functionality, so his is about the last word on TV topics.  ;D

Check if you missed something in the setup.

EDIT: The original thread with outdated instructions but also lots of comment, if you are interested.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79010.msg536642#msg536642
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 06:21:55 am »

Are you using the latest build (20.0132)?  If not, please get it from the MC20 board.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99073.0

The new build contains some bug fixes, in particular one that affect channel changing using CableCARD tuners.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:31:16 am »

Am using ".124." Will update later today.

THANKS again,

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:50:05 pm »

I updated as you suggested. It works somewhat better.

1. I can switch the traditional broadcast stations OK.
2. I can switch most of the cable stations OK.
3. Many of the cable stations are pixelated.
4. One station is looping a few frames.
5. The traditional broadcast stations seems to be doing fine.
6. In the television screen, the schedule for most of the stations do not appear. Stations numbered above 1000 show the schedule. I can tune to any station by scrolling to it and clicking on it.

Close. No cigar yet.

THANKS FOR THE FIXES. Please advise on ideas on the above. I'll tinker with it a little bit as the day wears on.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 01:19:36 pm »

3. Many of the cable stations are pixelated.

Is your video mode set to "Red October Standard"?

4. One station is looping a few frames.

Signal issue?  Networking issue?  I don't know.

6. In the television screen, the schedule for most of the stations do not appear. Stations numbered above 1000 show the schedule. I can tune to any station by scrolling to it and clicking on it.

Can explain a bit?  Are you talking about the on-screen display that tells you which program you are watching?  It may be the result of our recent problem of EPG data.

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:26:40 pm »

It's the on screen display that comes up when you click on "Television" in the JRiver navigation pane. The stations are listed. There is no list of programs for any of the stations. I stated incorrectly that stations greater than 1000 showed.

The setup is for Red October standard.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 03:20:58 pm »

Sorry about that.  We are having an EPG issue which we hope will be fixed soon.  Please take a look of the EPG thread if you are interested in alternative ways of getting EPG data.

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 03:24:19 pm »

Thanks. I'm impressed with the response times on the board.

Do you think that the EPG matter is causing or adding to the ability to tune the cable stations correctly?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 04:00:05 pm »

Thanks. I'm impressed with the response times on the board.

Do you think that the EPG matter is causing or adding to the ability to tune the cable stations correctly?

The ability, or the lack of, to tune to a certain channel is independent of the EPG problem.

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 08:58:09 pm »

As I surmised.

I upgraded to Rec October HQ. Nothing changed.

Where do we go with the channel switching matter?

THANKS again,

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 05:30:51 pm »

Any update on this? I'm running out of time on my 30 day trial.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 11:38:33 pm »

I'd stick with RO Std, if I were you. Keep your set up as plain vanilla as you can until you're up and functional.

No-one has asked the obvious question of whether your drivers for your tuner card are up to date. So that's one point to check off. Ceton is a make that I've seen mentioned rounds these parts pretty frequently, so you should be on a good horse there.

The other suggestion I'd give is for you to look at running a log (see the sticky at the top of this board) and be prepared to go down that path if you get no joy from this suggestion:
- load up MC21 for trial and see how you go

My thinking is that the EPG issue for US users has been addressed and the reports I've read are positive. A functioning EPG is pivotal to hassle free use of MC TV. Get that cracked and you should be home free.

The other plus with this plan is that it will also give you a bit more time to evaluate the software.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

CountryBumkin

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 07:37:33 am »

Any update on this? I'm running out of time on my 30 day trial.

Reading through this thread it looks like your using MC20 (not the new MC21). If this is the case, you need to do your trial with MC21. MC21 has the new EPG data selection method (using mc2xml).

The difference between RO+Standard and RO+HQ is in the "quality of the video presented", changing RO has no effect on TV EPG data or the number of channels received.

If you are in the USA, you want to use the "new" mc2xml data source (only available in MC21) - I'm not sure if mc2xml works for those outside of US (JRiver would need to comment on this).

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 01:51:31 pm »

Happy to try this.

Problem remain with getting TV signals.

I'll try after upgrading.

THANKS for the rapid response.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 03:00:00 pm »

Are you running Win 7 or Win8 (or 8.1)? It appears that the card is not compatible with Win10 (although that may only apply if you want to the ceton software). http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/25/infinitv-cablecard-tuner

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 03:37:39 pm »

The latest.

I update to version 21 on Windows 7.

The channel guides are working OK. The setup is a bit redundant. I can live with that.

I am able to get the broadcast stations. Some of the cable stations. For example, I receive MSNBC fine, cannot get a clear picture on CNN or Fox News. Lots of pixelization or no picture or picture looping or picture frozen, depending on station or when in sequence I tried the station.

Ideas?

THANKS again,

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 05:30:12 pm »

That sounds like a signal quality problem to me, although it could be a software problem.

Does WMC continue to play those bad channels without problems, as you reported initially?

PeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 12:16:13 pm »

WMC working fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up