INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop-Up TV Program Guide for JRTV?  (Read 4425 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Pop-Up TV Program Guide for JRTV?
« on: August 01, 2015, 03:09:00 pm »

As a long time GipsyMedia Limited Digiguide user in the USA, I was very much saddened when all the EPG data that was used by Digiguide dried up about 9 months ago for USA users leaving us high & dry.

Digiguide was the very best computer-based on-screen pop-up TV guide ever made by man.

What I'm thinking is as JRTV has EPG channel descriptions already available in the Television screen, how much trouble would it be to also make that information available as a pop-up window for reminders of what's on next?

Digiguide did a wonderful job of keeping track of all the shows I wanted to see on ANY channel at ANY time even if the show did not come up for a year from now.

EXAMPLE:
In the Digiguide scheduler, I would type in let's say "Charlie Brown" and any Charlie Brown show reminder would pop-up 3 minutes (user adjustable) ahead of time reminding me of the Charlie Brown Christmas Special coming up on channel 11 in 3 minutes.

Boy-oh-boy, THAT was TV heaven (but it's all gone now).

The Guide Scheduler would simply be using TV channel description that already exist.

What do you guys think?

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

CountryBumkin

Re: Pop-Up TV Program Guide for JRTV?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 05:34:39 pm »

Suggest this in the "New Features" thread for MC21. It doesn't hurt to ask - if this is something you like. I don't watch live TV. I record what I want and watch it later so I'm not really interested in this.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 11:26:34 am »

Digiguide did a wonderful job of keeping track of all the shows I wanted to see on ANY channel at ANY time even if the show did not come up for a year from now.

EXAMPLE:
In the Digiguide scheduler, I would type in let's say "Charlie Brown" and any Charlie Brown show reminder would pop-up 3 minutes (user adjustable) ahead of time reminding me of the Charlie Brown Christmas Special coming up on channel 11 in 3 minutes.

What do you guys think?
If it pops up and you are a) at a restaurant b) asleep or even c) in the bathroom, you miss "Charlie Brown" anyway.

MC20 will search for all programs called "Charlie Brown" and record them and store them on the hard drive for whenever you want to watch something.  Much better.

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 02:28:05 pm »

Oh, Oh... You totally missed the point.

You still have recordings; a Pop-Up indicator does not change that in any way. These are two entirely different things (Recordings, Pop-Up Reminders). They are separate functions (but can be combined into one if so desired).

Being at a restaurant or away has no effect on the Pop-Up reminder (the recorder can take care of that for viewing later when you are at home). The object of the Pop-Up is to notify you of an upcoming show when you...
1: Are at home.
2: Actually have the TV on.
3: Want to watch something right now.
4: Don't want to fill your hard drive up with hundreds of recordings most of which I never look at & simply erase.

I am retired & not too many older retired people use recordings but we do like to know "What's on right now?". It is really nice to know when that "Charlie Brown Christmas Special" is on so we can watch it now (AND it can still be recorded if so desired).

Anyway, Pop-Up reminders are just another neat feature for using EPG data.

TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 03:30:32 pm »

MC20 will search for all programs called "Charlie Brown" and record them and store them on the hard drive for whenever you want to watch something.  Much better.

Was wondering about that. I just tried an MC search for "Charlie Brown" & it simply searched all the CURRENT 12 day EPG data. It found a LOT of references to Charlie Brown but no shows with Charlie Brown in the title (as there are none currently in the Houston, TX OTA showings). So is there a way to record a show that is not in the current 12 day EPG. As most of the Charlie Brown showings are in the Thanksgiving & Christmas holidays can JRTV still be able to record them that far in the future? If so how do I do it?

What Digiguide did was keep Charlie Brown in the schedule & every time the EPG was updated it searched for a show with the title of Charlie Brown in it. If found, it would pop-up a reminder (at the proper time & date) 3 minutes before the show started. It made no difference how far in the future tha show was, it always checked.

kstuart

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:42:31 pm »

* Select any show in the Guide as if you were going to record it (this is just used as a "dummy")

* Choose " Record by Name "

* Then you can set all the fields to whatever you want

For example, if you choose "Washington Report", you can then just change "Washington Report" to "Charlie Brown".

Then set all the other fields as desired - it can look at just one channel or all channels, one day of the week, all days, etc. etc.

So, the program can be on hiatus for six months, and it should still catch the next showing.

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 10:09:09 pm »

Very cool.

I'm setting up some shows right now.

Thanks.

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 10:31:04 pm »

I just tried it.

It does work... sort of.  Problems I see...
1: Charlie Brown does not show up under "To Be Recorded".
2: Charlie Brown shows up ONLY in "Recording Rules".
3: If I select "Configure Recording" for Charlie Brown under "Recording Rules" the Recording Rule disappears never to be seen again.

This leaves me a little concerned as to how long the "To Be Recorded" sticks around & if it will actually get recorded.

The idea is good but there needs to be a little more robust "Stay-put-ness" to the command. I would really prefer an additional choice like something called "Record Future Show" with screens that do not disappear when trying to edit them PLUS it should show up under "To Be Recorded".

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 12:10:34 am »

3: If I select "Configure Recording" for Charlie Brown under "Recording Rules" the Recording Rule disappears never to be seen again.
That shouldn't happen and has never happened for me. I do these sorts of edits quite often.

Check if your rules are sorted by name, and if the sort is correct. If the sort isn't set sometimes edited, or new, rules will move to or be placed at the end of the list.

I don't agree that Rules for which there is no match in the current EPG data should be placed in the "To Be Recorded" list. That is what the list of rules is for. After all, lots of programs disappear out of the EPG data for six to eight months of the year. Do you really want to wade through all of them every time you want to look at what is going to be recorded? Of course they would have no date against them, so they would all be bunched up at the end, if the list was sorted by the default of Day and Time. Or maybe they would be bunched up at the beginning, which would be worse.

Of course as there is no EPG data for those rules, the list would have to be a mix of scheduled recordings and rules. That may lead to confusion by itself, but in the worst case it may lead to missed recordings. For example, you set up a rule for a program. Some time later you see it advertised as starting on Sunday. You check your "To Be Recorded" list and yep, there it is. But what you actually saw was the rule, not a scheduled recording, and the program is not recorded.

That could happen if the is an error in the rule, or an error in the EPG data. Perhaps, for example, the EPG data incorrectly flagged a program as a repeat, and the rule said no repeats.

No, keep the "To Be Recorded" list clean, only containing scheduled recordings.

I would like to see an easy way to list which programs are going to be recorded based on a specific rule though. Perhaps by right clicking on the rule with an option to pop up a list of scheduled recordings related to the rule. That would help in the management of rules and scheduled recordings.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DocLotus

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:55:44 am »

That shouldn't happen and has never happened for me. I do these sorts of edits quite often.

This morning it's working correctly... no disappearing. Don't know what's different but let's just chock it up to "Operator Error".

I see what you are saying about the rest & that makes sense.

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 12:23:48 pm »

Would like to see options such as...
1: To Be Recorded... Current.
2: To Be Recorded... Future.
3: To Be Recorded... All.

That way we can have our cake & eat it too.

kstuart

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 04:55:06 pm »

Would like to see options such as...
1: To Be Recorded... Current.
2: To Be Recorded... Future.
3: To Be Recorded... All.

That way we can have our cake & eat it too.
The grammar "To Be" means future.

Current recordings are in Recordings.

BTW, note that the date and time settings just above, affect what is listed in both "All Programs" and "To Be Recorded".

Also note that "To Be Recorded" only includes shows that are in the EPG data.  So, for example, if you have 7 days of EPG data, and the next "Charlie Brown" is two months away, then it will be in "Recording Rules" but will not appear in "To Be Recorded" for two months, when "Charlie Brown" is actually in the EPG data.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 05:10:35 pm »

Doc,
I'm going to close this now.  I think it's been thoroughly discussed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up