INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues or Questions using MC2XML in MC21 for EPG TV data  (Read 20281 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Issues or Questions using MC2XML in MC21 for EPG TV data
« on: August 05, 2015, 02:40:31 pm »

Use this thread for asking questions about the new MC2XML integration in MC21.

30. NEW: mc2xml is integrated into the program, so it can be used for all your EPG retrieval needs.
I ran this and it seems to work fine for me - it populates my EPG with what looks like correct data.

Note that there were two choices, both identical with "[my city's name] OTA" - but the first one had only Los Angeles stations, while the second one was exactly right (my guess is that the first one was an error, but they did not remove it in case someone was using it anyway).

All my previous timers ("recording rules") from MC20 appeared automatically.

One of them is in 20 minutes, so I will report back.

kstuart

Re: Issues or Questions using MC2XML in MC21 for EPG TV data
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 06:06:16 pm »

The recording rule created with MC20 worked fine with the new data from MC2XML and created a recording that plays fine.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 06:44:42 pm »

Did not work for me. Even though SD was showing 12 days of data as it was downloading from SD, only 8 showed up in MCTV. I finally did a Reset and then it actually populated MCTV with the 12 days of data (using the -d 288 switch).

I also think there are still too many screens to go through for the novice user.  Hopefully some of that will get cleaned up later on.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:53:19 am »

All right, let me re-post some of my earlier comments here then...:

**IMPORTANT: There is still an issue with running mc2xml in MC21 for a large STB xmltv (800+ channels).  
In the mean time I need to run mc2xml outside of MC and then just read the xmltv file. (The xmltv.xml file is 167 MB).    The dos prompt will blink 2-3 times and JRiver will give me an error message "The guide data is not valid..."

Also important (to me anyway...)...You will need to set different mc2xml folders for the different profiles. (In my case I need one for STB and another for OTA).  The way mc2xml is implemented does not allow for that.

And I have no other choice than having 2 different profiles as some of my OTA channels are not in the STB channel list.

For others to confirm: When I load the channels, mc2xml will always prompt me for a setup...I believe the .dat file gets deleted once the profile is run since it's located in JRiver's temp file??. Am I missing something? Will it run OK in the background?

As a VERY NICE TO HAVE for simplicity: For the auto-match feature you should also have it check for the channel number...This would be very handy and avoid having to manually assign 100+ channels when channel names are different...Extremely time consuming. I had to run the scan from ZAP2XML first on the STB as some channels were missing with Rovi.

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:02:17 am »

Did not work for me. Even though SD was showing 12 days of data as it was downloading from SD, only 8 showed up in MCTV. I finally did a Reset and then it actually populated MCTV with the 12 days of data (using the -d 288 switch).

I also think there are still too many screens to go through for the novice user.  Hopefully some of that will get cleaned up later on.

In the above post I was still using my own mc2xml.exe file (with the -d 288 switch) creating an xmltv.xml file from Schedules Direct.

When I tried to use the embedded mc2xml I ran into a LOT of problems. I entered my SD log on the mc2xml screen, SD downloaded the data, the Connect channels with their corresponding identifiers came up, I matched all the channels up with the identifiers, & the next screen was an error saying "The guide data is not valid, or does not contain any program information". This tells me that the XVLTV.xml file the was created could not be found. This needs to be fixed.

When I tried to use the embedded mc2xml but selecting Microsoft instead of Schedules Direct, the program data downloaded OK, but both of the mc2xml screens kept popping back up over & over again.

Screen after screen (both mc2xml and MCTV screens) popped up with no way to close them down for good. I finally had to kill MC with Windows Task Manager to stop it.  This happen many times until I noticed that my ZIP code was missing in the General, Television, Postal Code of the TV Options. Not sure why is was removed (possibly when I did a Reset?).  Once I set the ZIP code it should stay until I change it.  After re-entering the ZIP code mc2xml ran correctly without the endless popups.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:11:39 am »

What do the various Option on the lower left of the mc2xml screen do?
-U
-u
-F
-A
-a

The -U one is checked by default.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 09:57:40 am »

http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/
See the website for the explanation of the options.

The new EPG guide is working great for me!
Thanks.

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:13:20 am »

Thanks; the large -F however is not listed.  Anyone know what it does?

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:49:10 am »

The new EPG guide is working great for me!

Are you using XMLTV, MS?

Are you using the embedded mc2xml or your own copy of mc2xml.exe witj xmltv.xml file listed ion the MCTV setup?  That one ran for me too.  It was the embedded one that I had the problems with.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:56:07 am »

I'm just using the new JRiver setup (mc2xml = MS, I think).
I have removed my earlier xmltvdb program/setup for now (if JRiver's EPG data provides the Season and Episode numbers I won't need anything else. If not, I'll see about getting xmltvdb working with it.

OopsieDaisy

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 12:21:07 pm »

I downloaded and installed MC21 this morning.  No problems.  It found my MC20 Library, with only a pause for size(!), along with all 4500+ album covers.  It also found all the videos on my wired NAS units and my MC20 TV recording rules.

I was also able to use the newly built-in MC2XML to download the EPG for my supplier/area — and I have set it to record the last Jon Stewart show.  :)

PROBLEM:  The EPG only show the coming 24 hours, nothing beyond.   ?  What do I need to do?  (Simple 1-2-3, Do This, Do That-type instructions work very well for me.)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 01:07:35 pm »

That's odd. I'm getting seven days worth. I would go back into TV settings and rerun the "load guide data" step.
Did you try a restart?

OopsieDaisy

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 01:11:37 pm »

That's odd. I'm getting seven days worth. I would go back into TV settings and rerun the "load guide data" step.
Did you try a restart?

I did reload the guide data and I also did a restart.  No luck.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 01:39:45 pm »

What zipcode are you in (I could try loading in my system to see if it works).
I saw this post about  epg data in some zipcodes not working fully (Microsoft in process of fixing) http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8983

OopsieDaisy

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 04:15:47 pm »

What zipcode are you in (I could try loading in my system to see if it works).

I can use a couple of different zipcodes, 87121 right now, or 87120.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 08:58:55 am »

I setup my system to use your zip code - although I don't how accurate this test is since I could only scan those channels in my own OTA range. Anyways, using your zip code and the mc2xml setup for "Microsoft" and "OTA lineup", I still get 7 days of data (to Aug 14).

DocLotus

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 12:14:29 pm »

Very strange; I'm getting 12 days consistently with mc2xml, MS on ZIP 77036 (Houston, TX).

It was, at first, providing 8 days until I did a Reset & completely re-did all my TV setups.

OopsieDaisy

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 03:14:47 pm »

I uninstalled MC21 and reinstalled.  Still just 24 hrs of epg using my zipcode, MS, and Comcast Digital Cable.

AND I cannot record a tv program.  I'm starting a new thread on this one.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 05:22:58 am »

Thanks; the large -F however is not listed.  Anyone know what it does?

The "-F" option is the fourth down, when selected it lists the data as "output channel "name" first (rather than "number name")"

rec head

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 09:55:54 am »

Can someone sum up what I need to do? I understand that MS changed something and now we need a new EPG, is this correct? I don't watch TV but do set up a bunch of recordings when the new season starts. When I upgrade to MC21 (paid, just haven't bothered yet) do I need to redo channel scan and set up TV again or is that just for systems with problems?

Thanks

OopsieDaisy

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 12:16:01 pm »

OK.  Thanks for the consideration you guys!  I got the epg straightened out.  It was my own fault!  I was trying to scroll more than 24 hours, without changing the dates.   :-[

CountryBumkin

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 12:39:15 pm »

Can someone sum up what I need to do? I understand that MS changed something and now we need a new EPG, is this correct? I don't watch TV but do set up a bunch of recordings when the new season starts. When I upgrade to MC21 (paid, just haven't bothered yet) do I need to redo channel scan and set up TV again or is that just for systems with problems?

Thanks

The new MC21 has a different guide data retrieval method, so you are going to want to switch to MC21 before your tv series start or you will probably not be able to record them (Switching to MC21 is easy, just about everything will transfer over without any interaction on your part) but you will want to redo the television setup so you are using the new EPG guide data method (mc2xml).

rec head

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 02:59:23 pm »

The new MC21 has a different guide data retrieval method, so you are going to want to switch to MC21 before your tv series start or you will probably not be able to record them (Switching to MC21 is easy, just about everything will transfer over without any interaction on your part) but you will want to redo the television setup so you are using the new EPG guide data method (mc2xml).

Thanks for the clarification. This means that everything doesn't transfer or work properly. Not complaining and truly appreciate the help. I'll upgrade and redo the TV setup this afternoon.

kstuart

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 08:03:27 pm »

Thanks for the clarification. This means that everything doesn't transfer or work properly. Not complaining and truly appreciate the help. I'll upgrade and redo the TV setup this afternoon.
My "Recording Rules" did transfer over, and also the channels that were scanned.

The only thing that needs to be done is the Load Program Guide has to be done manually the first time.

willrbaar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 05:26:41 pm »

I'm having a problem getting MC21's mc2xml to download more than one and half days worth of EPG data.  I just switched to MC21 and had the same issue in MC20.  Got under two days worth of data trying to use zap2xml.  On the mc2xml website they give an option of -d (d for duration)  for specifying the amount of data to download from the site.  How do I do this option with MC21?  Also, how would I do this for the other options specified on the mc2xml website?  By the way, MC21 setup of mc2xml went very smoothly.  Nicely done.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 05:50:17 pm »

You can't setup the EPG collection the same way you did with MC20. Zap2it no longer works. The old mc2xml version 1.3 has been replaced in MC21 with version 1.4.
So you need to do the install thorough MC21 TV setup. When you get to the step where you select your EPG provider you pick mc2xml with "Microsoft".
I have screen shots of the steps if you need more help.

willrbaar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 05:24:50 pm »

I am running MC21 with the MC2XML mode "with Microsoft" for guide data.  Why can't I get more than a day and a half worth of TV Guide?  I haven't come across any settings which allow me to change the amount of TV guide.  Is there a setting?  I have a Windows Media Center on the same computer with 12 days of TV Guide.  So, the data is there, but I can't find way to get to it, and no one seems to know how.  Do you know how?  I have been at this for a week now and no one seems to know how to change the amount of guide data, or at least I haven't come across a post that tells me how.  Same experience as with MC20.  My MC21 seems stuck at one and half days of guide data.

kstuart

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 06:42:32 pm »

It sounds like MC21 is still using OTA guide data.

In Television -> Load Program Guide

Be sure that only MC2XML is checked under Guide Mode and that the one with "ATSC" is unchecked.

Then check Run Selected Profiles Now and click OK.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 07:02:49 pm »

Be sure that only MC2XML is checked under Guide Mode and that the one with "ATSC" is unchecked.

I guess you meant "OTA", not "ATSC".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 09:03:42 pm »

I am running MC21 with the MC2XML mode "with Microsoft" for guide data.  Why can't I get more than a day and a half worth of TV Guide?  I haven't come across any settings which allow me to change the amount of TV guide.  Is there a setting?  I have a Windows Media Center on the same computer with 12 days of TV Guide.  So, the data is there, but I can't find way to get to it, and no one seems to know how.  Do you know how?  I have been at this for a week now and no one seems to know how to change the amount of guide data, or at least I haven't come across a post that tells me how.  Same experience as with MC20.  My MC21 seems stuck at one and half days of guide data.

This isn't the issue is it? Just checking.
Next, it sounds like you are using Standard View to look at the channels and the programs available. In Standard View only 24 hours of EPG data is shown at one time. To see more data, change the Day and Time at the top of the program listing. That way you can show all the available EPG data, 24 hours at a time. Note also that if you use the search function (top right corner of Standard View display), then results from all available EPG data is returned, consistent with your selection of "All Channels" or one particular channel. Try a search for say a news program on one channel that shows once per day, and you will see what I mean. All days that have EPG data will be shown.

Alternately, use the Guide in Theatre View, and scroll as far as you can to the right with the right arrow button or key. That will show you how much EPG data you have.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

willrbaar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2015, 09:54:03 am »

Thank you.  You identified what I was doing wrong and gave clarification on how to use the channel guide in standard view. 

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 03:51:07 pm »

I am running MC2XML with SD, and while on the surface it seems to be working, I have found that a 5-minute program this evening does not show up in the guide. SD tech support says that the show is correctly noted on their server.  Where can I find my xmltv.xml file to see where things went wrong?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 04:21:09 pm »

I am running MC2XML with SD, and while on the surface it seems to be working, I have found that a 5-minute program this evening does not show up in the guide. SD tech support says that the show is correctly noted on their server.  Where can I find my xmltv.xml file to see where things went wrong?

If you use mc2xml option internally (i.e. selecting mc2xml in MC setup, instead of selecting XMLTV option in MC), then the xml file is not available for you to inspect.  You can download mc2xml from it's site and try running it outside of MC.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 04:31:13 pm »

If you use mc2xml option internally (i.e. selecting mc2xml in MC setup, instead of selecting XMLTV option in MC), then the xml file is not available for you to inspect.  You can download mc2xml from it's site and try running it outside of MC.
Yaobing, mc2xml seems to be importing the correct data (including the missing 4-minute long program), but the program does not show up in my EPG:

</programme>
   <programme start="20150904175500 -0700" stop="20150904175900 -0700" channel="I22.3.35246.schedulesdirect.org">
      <title lang="en">Begin Japanology Mini</title>
      <desc lang="en">Hina dolls are featured.</desc>
      <date>20140518</date>
      <category lang="en">Community</category>
      <category lang="en">Series</category>
      <episode-num system="dd_progid">EP01180166.0031</episode-num>
      <previously-shown start="20140518000000" />
   </programme>

Other programs on this channel do show up in the guide.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 05:25:38 pm »

There indeed seems to be a problem.  I will look into it next week.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 05:57:47 pm »

Thank you! Happy to send the epg XML if it helps.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 06:02:49 pm »

Thanks.  I can generate the xml here, with similar problem.  I see some 5 minutes long "BEGIN Japanology" programs that do not show up in guide.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 07:31:45 pm »

I always just thought I had inaccurate EPG data, because I have nearly always had small gaps between some programs.

Now I see, by checking TV guide online, that there are programs in those gaps. Not programs that I am interested in very often, but having the gaps closed would be comforting. At least it would be a quick visual confirmation that the Guide was okay.

I can see any five minute program isn't displayed on the Guide, but a ten minute program is. I couldn't find any intermediate program lengths. I do actually have a couple of channels that have one minute programs scheduled. So there really shouldn't be any minimum program length in the Guide.

This must have changed at some time, because I used to record a little two minute filler program before the news, and it was always in the Guide.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 02:33:20 am »

anyone experienced a loss of guide data in the uk?  I am using mc2xml and this morning all my guide data is missing. Tried re running to no avail.

Where is the xml file kept?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 05:36:36 am »

If you are using the internal version of mc2xml provided with MC21, then the XMLTV file isn't retained. You can't check to see what is in it, except based on what gets into MC21.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99519.msg690162#msg690162

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 10:02:55 am »

yes I'm using the built in version but for some reason it is no longer populating any of the guide. What other options do I have and what programme can I use for uk guide data>?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 10:26:43 am »

Try setting up the EPG again and enter your postal code.  I believe it requires a space in the middle.  Read other posts here.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 10:34:10 am »

yup tried that Jim and no data is coming back. Started happening at midnight. I have guide data until yesterday but now nothing.
I have completely reset and run again and nothing. I cant seem to find the xml file but I suspect it hasn't got anything in it...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 10:36:01 am »

Did you choose "Microsoft", not "Microsoft legacy" on mc2xml window?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 10:38:00 am »

Microsoft...

Is there anywhere i can check whats in the xml file?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2015, 07:35:03 pm »

Is there anywhere i can check whats in the xml file?

Has Microsoft converted the UK EPG data over to Rovi yet? I thought they just did America initially, and are rolling it out to other countries over time. Maybe they have just done the UK and that is why your EPG is empty.

Or maybe if you have upgraded to MC21 with its new version of mc2xml, that version has switched to the new EPG source, but the UK doesn't have that source yet? Actually, if you run the older free version 1.3 of mc2xml, which still uses the original EPG provider, does it find any data? I don't know if MC21 takes into account the worldwide rollout schedule for Microsoft's changes.

Your only immediate option to check what EPG data is being found by the version of mc2xml in MC21 is probably to get the Donateware version of mc2xml. It will cost you US$20 but at least you will be able to check what data is coming through, and perhaps get logs if there are errors etc.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2015, 08:03:44 pm »

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2015, 01:50:06 pm »

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2015, 10:30:00 pm »

How can I reconfigure the MC2XML settings through MC?

I was having problems with the EPG so I switched from Microsoft mode to TitanTV mode.
That generates an "HL -y" error so I added a second MC2XML with Microsoft mode.
Unfortunately I can't delete the original one. I can delete the second one.

When I load the EPG data manually I get two prompts from MC2XML.
1) I have to choose Microsoft mode again and insert my ZIP.
2) I have to choose programming lineup.

I assume these same prompts will occur in automatic mode too.
Won't that make it hard to download new data?
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2015, 10:53:43 pm »

You can only use TitanTV mode if oyu have a TitanTV account. You may have had to create the account on the PC you are using for MC, or logged into your account, to create cookies on the PC for TitanTV. Or the setup may require your TitanTV User Name and Password.

What version of MC are you running? I think Automatic mode has been removed in the latest MC21 versions.

You should be able to delete the TitanTV profile. Perhaps if you can't then try unticking the profile to deactivate it first. Or you may have to run TV Setup again and select "Clean up existing television guide data", then re-setup your guide data.

Make sure that your Country and Postal Code are set up under Options/Television/General before you do any more guide setup steps.

Search the Wiki and the TC Cards and TV forum for more information. There are a lot of discussions on these issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up