INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 21, some thoughts  (Read 1509 times)

stefansmith

• Junior Woodchuck
  • 1.2TB - 3500 albums - FLACs
MC 21, some thoughts
« on: August 23, 2015, 04:15:36 am »

I rarely post here, but have been a paying user of MC since version 9, so thought I'd put some thoughts down.
My installation is used for audio only -- a library of about 4,000 albums, nearly all of them FLAC. I've even converted most of my vinyl into hi-res flac and that's all in there too.

- The licensing. Please don't ever change this. I have MC installed on the HTPC, the home desktop, plus the laptops of myself and my wife and two kids. That's 6 installs. I hate software that is licensed for one install, and like the idea of a "family license" (I also pay for Office365 for the family). Admittedly it's only really used a lot on the HTPC, but it's great to have the flexibility.
- The library, set up as album thumbnails, is still unrivaled in look and feel.
- The tweakability -- first class. The flexibility and options are great, which is really the thing that sets MC apart. Since FLAC support was added way back when, I've been pretty happy with all the options.

Dislikes:
- The look: Sorry, but I think the default look and feel is really out of date, and there is no place for skins that look a bit Windows 95. I've installed the MetroX skin and it fits in well with Windows 7,8 & 10, but I think if I was buying the program for the first time now I'd be put off by the default skin and other skin choices. I would actually suggest that for the next version, you think about taking on a skin designer to bring the whole look and feel side of things up to date, ranging from the icon to the skin and the webpage that shows as the default MC page.
- Stability: I've been getting "this program is not responding" quite a bit lately, but guess that may be a MC/Windows 10 issue or the consequences of a huge library. Will search a more to see how I can get it to be more stable.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for great software at a great price!

S.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 21, some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 04:36:39 am »

The "not responding" may just be MC doing thumbnailing and audio analysis in the background, or it may be an antivirus problem.  There have been several similar reports lately that turned out to be antivirus.  Kaspersky and Norton, at least.  
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.msg689373#msg689373
Pages: [1]   Go Up