INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roots of Rock and Roll, Big Mama Thornton, etc.  (Read 1028 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Roots of Rock and Roll, Big Mama Thornton, etc.
« on: September 13, 2003, 04:49:25 pm »

I just started listening to this program while I was driving home and ended up recording the rest of it when I got home.

Interview of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller who wrote a lot of great songs.  "Hound Dog" was sung by both Big Mama Thornton and Elvis Presley.  

Here's a link:

http://www.americanroutes.org/thisweek.html

Arabs and Jews in Jazz & Blues and Beyond
This American Routes focuses on Jewish, Arab-American, Middle Eastern and Islamic influences on African-American music and culture. Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller talk about how "two young Jewish guys" from the east coast wrote some of our most memorable songs, like "Hound Dog," "Yakety Yak," and "I'm a Woman." Plus: music portraying Old Testament tales in gospel and reggae; Middle Eastern images in jazz and pop; and the impact of Islam on the blues. Also, Atlantic Records founder and Turkish ambassador's son Ahmet Ertegun looks back on over a half-century producing blues, jazz, R&B, soul and rock.

Charlemagne 8

Re: Roots of Rock and Roll, Big Mama Thornton, etc
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2003, 05:29:23 pm »

Big Mama Thornton also wrote and performed "Turtle Blues" before Janis Joplin did it.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 09:53:15 pm »

Interview of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller who wrote a lot of great songs.  "Hound Dog" was sung by both Big Mama Thornton and Elvis Presley.

I had the great fortune to work with Leiber & Stoller in the mid-1990s when they were putting together a Broadway show of their work that ended up being called "Smokey Joe's Cafe". It ran for several years on the Great White Way and you can still find touring and regional productions going on today.

It amazed me that these 2 guys had written all that great music. If you examine their catalog, I'm sure you'll find more hit records recorded by more different artists than by nearly any other songwriting team.

One of my prized possessions is a piano book of a whole lot of their songs that they autographed.

Astounding amounts of soul--both of them!

Best,
Brad

zevele10

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 03:06:59 am »

But ,in fact ,it AGES before this guys that jewish music influenced american music.

The very roots are in all the "folk" songs  the emmigrants toke with them.
German songs ,irish songs ,english ,scottish and jew songs.
With quite a lot of religious songs from church
The jewish songs without any middle- est flavour ,but the yedish one.

The very roots of american music are white ,100% white ,only white.
Only latter the very stong stream of black /african music did mix -- a little at the start- with the white stream.

Years ,years latter ,white music influenced the black music ,giving us the Soul music

And ,of cause ,this great mix gave us  the american music as we know it today.

I see Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller more like american people writing great music than like ones giving any jewish twist to american music.

Thanks for the link.
One of real good quality

Listening to: 'Aztec' from 'The Knife Feels Like Justice' by 'Brian Setzer' on Media Center 9.1
Pages: [1]   Go Up