INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I auto populate composer field?  (Read 3235 times)

digiman

How do I auto populate composer field?
« on: August 29, 2015, 09:00:14 am »

I like to have the composer field filled in. When the program gets the data and fills in artwork, etc how do I get it to fill in the composer field as well? Now I am manually doing it but its very tedious and time consuming.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I auto populate composer field?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 11:21:54 am »

The 'data' you speak of is either located in the file tags as metadata or is derived from the folder/filename structure of the file itself (Carnac). Is the composer data present in any of the other tag fields or in the filename/folder itself?

digiman

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:47:19 am »

I am not sure. I have been using iTunes and it auto populates the composer field when it downloads the info. With media center I have to manually enter each composer which is very time consuming. I have the column set up but all there is is a right facing arrow with a circle around it and no information. How do I set it to auto populate this column?

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »

I am not sure. I have been using iTunes and it auto populates the composer field when it downloads the info. With media center I have to manually enter each composer which is very time consuming. I have the column set up but all there is is a right facing arrow with a circle around it and no information. How do I set it to auto populate this column?
You should do a tag dump and find out if itunes is writing to the file or not ... it should be. But check (select file and in tag window click on where it says flac fo files that itunes has "tagged") if it is not there in a composer field itunes just kept the info in its library. If it is in the tag and you import the files into JRiver, it should be there.

However if you are talking about getting tag data from JRiver ... or lots of programs for that matter ,  its absolutely outrageous at the number of tag sets floating on databsaes and the web that do not have the composer fields filled in at all -- unacceptable, but it seems like a lot of people just don't care about composers anymore  .. so if its not there it might never have been there is what I'm saying. Then you have to manually enter it (I'd use the tag window for this or a pane in a pane view not the fields in a column) which does stink.

whatever is originally tagging your audio whether you are using, itunes, jriver dbpoweramp, music brainz picard whatever ... make sure it is writing to the files for the fields you want -- especially if they are fields that are not likely to be included in the file name itself.  That way if you have to use another player the information goes along with the files.

Edit: Did that make sense? .. I pay extra for my metadata to so called pro databases and I find it outrageous that composer is often just not there .. so I'm sort of ranting here, sorry  ;D

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:49:43 am »

Edit: Did that make sense? .. I pay extra for my metadata to so called pro databases and I find it outrageous that composer is often just not there .. so I'm sort of ranting here, sorry  ;D

What services offer paid access to such metadata? I might like to investigate.

Thanks!

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 08:19:12 am »

What services offer paid access to such metadata? I might like to investigate.

Thanks!

dBpoweramp gives you access to four or so metadata databases - I have used it for many years and nearly always get good Composer (and ComposerSort) tags. Still need to do some fiddling to cope with the usual alternative spellings of composers like Dvorak/Dvorák etc. but if I miss such issues when I rip, MC is excellent at fixing things after.

digiman

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »

I haven't added my iTunes library yet. I am just ripping new CD's trying to figure out how to get the composer field populated before I attempt to move over thousands of files.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 01:52:17 pm »

I haven't added my iTunes library yet. I am just ripping new CD's trying to figure out how to get the composer field populated before I attempt to move over thousands of files.

If you are not typing the fields yourself, then you are dependent on "crowd-sourcing" the information from the Internet.

JRiver has a particular database that in my experience is not one of the better ones.

So, when I rip a CD, I use a ripping program just to create the FLAC files, then I open it in MP3TAG program (free software), which can access a number of different (free) online databases.

Then I write the fields into the tags in the FLAC files.

Then when the FLAC files are imported into JRiver MC21, they will have the same information that MP3TAG found.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 02:32:29 pm »

JRiver has a particular database that in my experience is not one of the better ones.
We use two databases.  If YADB yields no results, we check FreeDB.

I think the data is as good as anyone's since it represents the collective work of everyone who uses it.

It also has a clever "voting" system which causes better data (more frequently selected when there are choices offered) to rise to the top.

Most problems with metadata are related to classical music, where there are no agreed upon ways to tag the files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up