INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping and storing files  (Read 2881 times)

silversurfer0116

Ripping and storing files
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:19:56 pm »

Hi:  I'm new to J river and computer music in general.  I started a new post because J River apparently? wouldn't let me reply to answers to my previous post.  I'm still checking J River out on the 30 day thing but so far I like what I see so maybe this is because I haven't paid up yet?  Is that right?

I ripped a CD and it automatically ripped it as an ape file.  I was able to convert this to a flac file.   Since I am currently an PC laptop user and will be until it dies probably I'm thinking I will probably automatically rip files to flac (which I think I was able to enable after I saw the ape files) for use on the laptop for playing through my home audio system.  I think I may also create an alac file to play on my iPhone (which I will also probably keep until it dies) which I use a lot in my car to play music on the great sounding car stereo.  We'll see on that as I blew it and only got 32gb of memory which seemed reasonable a couple of years ago before I got into this stuff.

* I'm a little unclear as to what is the best way to segregate my music.  Right now I want my laptop to rip and play the flac files by default.  I also want to store alac files somewhere for downloading to my iPhone and as back up to the music on my iPhone.  There was a post that went into this on one of the answers in my first post but I don't have time right now to analyze it.

* Another question I have is about the ape files.  The iPhone won't play them according to what I read.  Is there a cell phone that will play them and if so what is the quality of the playback.  I understand ape is lossless so I'm curious how it stacks up next to uncompressed flac and alac files.

* Can I set MC up so that it automatically rips flac to my music folder and another format like alac to a different folder(library?)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripping and storing files
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:38:55 pm »

so maybe this is because I haven't paid up yet?  Is that right?

No
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 04:40:14 pm »

Hi:  I'm new to J river and computer music in general.  I started a new post because J River apparently? wouldn't let me reply to answers to my previous post.

Is this the advice you're referring to?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99623.msg690139#msg690139
It would probably be best to start a separate thread if you want detailed help with some kind of scheme to do this.

If this is the reference, then I think you've misunderstood the comment. glynor isn't JRiver and he was offering a suggestion not a direction.

His advice in that post is still relevant to your situation and I can't really offer much better with regard to selection of format.

I ripped a CD and it automatically ripped it as an ape file.  I was able to convert this to a flac file.

Good stuff. You've got file conversion sorted.

* Can I set MC up so that it automatically rips flac [?]

Yep - Tools>Options>Encoding

Ripping options are found in Tools>Options>CD, DVD & BD
The options on top of the default are outside how I normally work? Have you tried searching Interact? What did the Wiki turn up for you?

* Another question I have is about the ape files.  The iPhone won't play them according to what I read.  Is there a cell phone that will play them and if so what is the quality of the playback.  I understand ape is lossless so I'm curious how it stacks up next to uncompressed flac and alac files.
Don't know. What does an internet search with the relevant keywords turn up?
But really, glynor's advice around a high quality compressed format for your phone is sensible to me (that's what I do).

* I'm a little unclear as to what is the best way to segregate my music.  Right now I want my laptop to rip and play the flac files by default.  I also want to store alac files somewhere for downloading to my iPhone and as back up to the music on my iPhone.  There was a post that went into this on one of the answers in my first post but I don't have time right now to analyze it.
When you've had time to analyse the advice, come back and ask a directed question. It's very difficult to make guesses as to what you're after. Put the effort in to describe your problem clearly and concisely and (from experience) you should get the help you're after.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 06:41:41 am »

Hi:  I'm new to J river and computer music in general.  I started a new post because J River apparently? wouldn't let me reply to answers to my previous post. 
thats wierd .. you should be able to reply  no problem?! Nobody banned you :)

Matt the head master chef dev here created APE if I'm not mistaken ... Personally I wouldn't mix and match file formats too much. FLAC is IMO the best supported with the best tagging capabilities. You can reconvert lossless containers without a generational loss ... but ripping to ape and converting to flac? .. I think you would be better off just running the rip twice or using software that can rip multiple formats at one shot if you have multiple terabytes of stuff, for a 16gb phone I'd make a playlist of the flac files you want to convert and select em and convert 'em. One thing you do not want to do ... rip to mp3 and convert to lossless. thats a no-no

Might waznt to think twice about ALACs on your phone ... disregarding the quality of the DAC in a telephone, you won't get much music on it and unless you are using good headphones I doubt its worth it if using ear buds .. your call of course only my opinion.

On a 160Gb iPod thats a different story. Then you'd have a couple of hundred cds

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:54:04 am »

The thread was locked because it became a debate about Secure ripping vs AccurateRip, and this has been discussed frequently in the past.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:18:23 am »

It's not locked.  ::)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 09:50:47 am »

Is too.

silversurfer0116

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 02:48:44 pm »

OK.  The thread was locked because it went off in another direction. 

I am starting to get the hang of J River and the wiki help web pages.  Is there a pdf file of all the wiki help pages available?

I am going to fool around with libraries next week as time allows.  I want to have a library for flac files that I play with J River which J river goes to by default and I want a library of files I use on my iPhone in iTunes which iTunes uses as the default.  I may also want a hidden library or two that is only accessible on purpose.  Basically I have lot's of hard drive and I'm willing to use it so as not to keep redoing stuff.   If I hit a wall I'll check in with some directed questions.

My optical drive is acting up as has my Toshiba laptop that it is installed in. Sometimes windows 7 won't recognize the drive. Sometimes the drive won't open. Sometimes it works just fine.  I'm thinking about junking the pos and getting another unit as I have a lot of ripping ahead of me and I need a reliable unit, which I had hoped this was.  I actually bought it with this project in mind three years ago and then life got in the way for awhile.  Any suggestions are welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up