INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please send emails for important changes (EPG)  (Read 3927 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Please send emails for important changes (EPG)
« on: August 30, 2015, 07:00:40 am »

Please send out emails when something as important as the Guide is broken. I shouldn't have to check in on the forum to see if a critical part of MC is working or not.

I understand that things outside of JRiver's control changed. I just want to be notified.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Please send emails for important changes (EPG)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:00:16 pm »

Please send out emails when something as important as the Guide is broken. I shouldn't have to check in on the forum to see if a critical part of MC is working or not.

I understand that things outside of JRiver's control changed. I just want to be notified.
You're absolutely right... but Capitalism precludes reporting a negative event to the entire user base.

That would require fictional things like a "Social Contract" which only really exist in alternate universes.

Also.... AFAIK MediaCenter has no warranty or guarantee.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Please send emails for important changes (EPG)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:06:31 am »

I have no problem reporting a negative, but I would not like to bother 100% of MC's users to report a problem that only affects 10% or 20% (or whatever fraction it is).

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 03:18:04 am »

I think a notification could be of interest in a broader sense.
What about adding the changes log to the install splash screen? Maybe only selected news, fixes, changes. And maybe also negatives or any kind of notification, such as external changes that affects MC.

The installation is always a boring 11 1/2 seconds of waiting, while not long enough to do anything else (except maybe read through the interesting contents in our local newspaper).

Showing the change log could also be a user choice "do you want to always see the change log during installation Y/N".

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 04:34:12 am »

no thanks :) with all due respect -1 for me

don't see how they could determine what is important to everybody ... there are more changes to TV tuners these days than just about everything else ... I don't watch live TV for example like the OP does; some people might not be interested in a new addition to the expression language -- I am especially if it affects my Views, but I doubt that is very important to the majority of users ... also what might break for some, is a fix for others -- stick to the stable version and roll back if needed; go latest if you want fixes/changes (which may or may not break something) this is easy and frankly pretty revolutionary for software development. Try doing that in IOS for your iPhone  ;)

what might be possible is that under help=>New Improved This Version could be linked to the new build http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99729.0 (or better the newest installed build (like if you chose stable it refers to that build; latest, the latest build). As is it now it links to a general post on version 21 which doesn't apply to the build or even the version in its current state http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90659.0

I think a good idea though would be to have a second "sticky" post for just the latest stable build .. that would be easy (keeping the existing one of course!).  then the link under help within the program would be the version notes and should satisfy forum-allergic users

Castius

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:39:23 am »

I would like some options for events inside jmc to notify me.
Failed recordings
Missing EPG data
Tunner unavailable
Server shutting down
 HD full

rec head

Re:
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 02:04:49 pm »

1) It is just an email. Just hit delete if you don't care.
2) I would gladly join an email list that told me when things were broken even if it didn't affect me. It is way better than going to watch something that should have been recorded to find that there is no guide.
3) At least in my house I'm not the only one using MC. Something like no guide does not bode well for the HTPC.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 05:47:01 am »

no thanks :) with all due respect -1 for me

don't see how they could determine what is important to everybody ... there are more changes to TV tuners these days than just about everything else ... I don't watch live TV for example like the OP does; some people might not be interested in a new addition to the expression language -- I am especially if it affects my Views, but I doubt that is very important to the majority of users ... also what might break for some, is a fix for others -- stick to the stable version and roll back if needed; go latest if you want fixes/changes (which may or may not break something) this is easy and frankly pretty revolutionary for software development. Try doing that in IOS for your iPhone  ;)

what might be possible is that under help=>New Improved This Version could be linked to the new build http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99729.0 (or better the newest installed build (like if you chose stable it refers to that build; latest, the latest build). As is it now it links to a general post on version 21 which doesn't apply to the build or even the version in its current state http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90659.0

I think a good idea though would be to have a second "sticky" post for just the latest stable build .. that would be easy (keeping the existing one of course!).  then the link under help within the program would be the version notes and should satisfy forum-allergic users

I was just thinking loud ;D And I did mention that it could be a user setting. Maybe your suggestion of a sticky would comply better with the current information policy, anyway.

For the record, my personal opinion is that the forum is the best way to both find and share information.

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 06:02:32 am »

I was just thinking loud ;D And I did mention that it could be a user setting.

sure of course ! that's what the forum is for. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk either. No disrespect intended  :)

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 06:11:32 am »

None taken, at all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up