INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-3 second silence on each tune  (Read 2636 times)

Bebop0502

• Junior Woodchuck
2-3 second silence on each tune
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:24:39 pm »

Hi,
Since I installed MC21 I got a problem when each track starts. First half a second sound then 2-3 seconds silence and then it is ok until next track starts. The funny thing is that this also happens when playing MC20 now. I never had this issue before. Is it linked to MC20/21 or new Windows 8.1 updates or something else?

I use laptop converting all files to DSD/DoP. I have tried playing direct from files and from memory. No difference.

My setings are:
Bitstreaming: None
Prebuffering: 6 seconds
Play silence at start up...: None

Track change
Switch tracks: Gapless
Do not play silence - empty tick box
Use gapless for sequental...: Ticked

Buffering: 100 ms

Ay ideas what to do?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 2-3 second silence on each tune
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:57:55 pm »

Where are the files stored?  That sounds like the disk is not delivering the data quickly enough, and MC overruns the audio buffer.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Bebop0502

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:56:32 am »

They are stored on a WD Elements 2TB. I play from memory.

The good news is that after increasing buffering from 100 to 250 ms, removing MC20 and re-booting both dac and pc it seems to work again. At least for now. One month pain is hopefully gone.

Bebop0502

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:06:17 pm »

I was to quick... Now it is back again. It seems the way to get the future is to go back playing cd's the old way. :(

After the action made yesterday it has worked perfect for 1,5 day but no I get the same issues again but not on every track. I increased prebuffering to 500 ms but it seems this is not the issue. Never had this issue with MC20 so I suspect there is some kind of issue with MC21 (?).

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:23:04 pm »

I'm no expert on this one, but as Glynor mentioned buffer over-runs ... 

a friend of mine set up the wdm driver for streaming, different latency and buffer settings and all, but did not set up a separate zone. He was having similar issues, as you describe. He was getting delays and and some intermittent "clicking" I just set or checked each of his main playback zones back to normal default settings (WASAPI -- 100ms buffering, and 50ms latency under advanced) ... then I set up a zone for streaming via WDM. He was basically using his You Tube settings for his audio playback.

Are you using the wdm driver and do you have multiple zones using zoneswitch? In 21 both dsp and zone switch are configurable by zone so maybe you can check there?? Might have nothing to do with it, just putting it out there :)

Bebop0502

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 05:13:52 am »

Thanks for your input Arindelle. I will certainly check out your input. Meanwhile I have done some other things and it seems I have found a stable set up now. My analysis and conclusion is that encoding all files to DSD over DoP ("output encoding" in DSP Studio) is not fully stable in my set up (ADM A6-4400 M APU/8 GB -> WD Elements HD 2TB -> Windows 8.1 -> WASAPI Ext mode -> Aesthetix Romulus Signature SE dac/cd-drive). So now I did the following:

• Play files from memory (Audio -> settings)
• Pre-buffering 100 ms  (Audio -> Device settings). I started with 500 ms, then 250 ms and now 100 which still works. 500 ms was actually too much which gave some abrubt ends of each track.
• Output encoding none (DSP Studio). Before I encoded all files into DSD. I think this was the main issue.
• Sample rates output -> no change (DSP Studio)
• Bitstream DSD enabled (Audio -> settings)

The result of last three settings was new to me. It means that original format will be sent to my dac. The display now shows, 44,1, 88,2, 96 .... or DSD, i.e. the original format of the file. When using output encoding DSD in DoP all PCM-files are converted to DSD.

What did what of each new settings can be discussed. Important for me is that it now works and it plays beautiful. I'm very pleased.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 09:10:10 am »

Setting Output Encoding to DSD is only required for very peculiar DACs (basically, DACs that only work in DSD mode). This is very rare. For everyone else, that setting on Output Encoding should usually be set to None.  See:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Output_Format
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up