INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcast Downloads: remembering what has been downloaded  (Read 3179 times)

mabel

• Recent member
Podcast Downloads: remembering what has been downloaded
« on: September 05, 2015, 10:56:13 am »

JRiver 20.0.131

Podcast Downloads: remembering what has been downloaded

When I move (copy and delete) the downloaded files from the download directory on my windows 7 PC  onto my media player JRiver will download the last podcast for each subscription again!

JRiver is set to download Newest Episode Only but it does not remember what it has already downloaded.
If the latest file is missing (been moved to an other device in this case) it downloads it again which means i have lots of duplicated files.

Is there any way around this?

Can I make it understand that this episode has already been downloaded once so don't download it again?

Thanks

linutic

• Recent member
Re: Podcast Downloads: remembering what has been downloaded
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 03:34:26 pm »

If you move/delete an Episode outside Media Center, using Windows Explorer for example, then the Episode is downloaded again.

If you delete an Episode from the Podcast screen with Media Center (using delete or the F6 menu) it shows as deleted and is not copied again.   However if you delete the deleted entry (yes you can do that) then the file is downloaded again.

If you copy an Episode somewhere with Media Center, it just gets copied.

If you move an Episode with Media Center, Media Center remembers where you put the file, and it is not copied again.  However this has the hazard that when the file is eventually purged from Media Center, it is purged from the new location.

What might work best for you is to just copy the files with Media Center or Explorer, and then if disk space is at a premium, delete the originals from the Podcast download directory.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 09:04:08 am »

If you move/delete an Episode outside Media Center, using Windows Explorer for example, then the Episode is downloaded again.

If you delete an Episode from the Podcast screen with Media Center (using delete or the F6 menu) it shows as deleted and is not copied again.   However if you delete the deleted entry (yes you can do that) then the file is downloaded again.

If you copy an Episode somewhere with Media Center, it just gets copied.

If you move an Episode with Media Center, Media Center remembers where you put the file, and it is not copied again.  However this has the hazard that when the file is eventually purged from Media Center, it is purged from the new location.

What might work best for you is to just copy the files with Media Center or Explorer, and then if disk space is at a premium, delete the originals from the Podcast download directory.

Great post linutic, saved me a lot of confusion in 'archiving' podcasts, however, I still have some copied podcast files that are still 'linked' back to the podcast episode and are at risk of still being deleted from disk if the podcast episode is ever deleted.

The radio podcast episode was automatically downloaded to a 'Podcasts' folder by JR, the file was then manually copied to a 'Radio' folder to 'archive' it. From the podcast window the entry was deleted and the episode status changed from 'on disk' to 'deleted'. Everything working as expected so far.

Auto-import runs on the 'Radio' runs on the radio folder and then puts a 2nd entry into the podcast window flagging this episode as 'on disk' (in the 'Radio' folder). This effectively puts me back to square one with the podcast episode file being at risk of deletion if the podcast episode entry is deleted. It's as if I'd moved the file rather than copied it.

How do I permanently break the podcast episode to file relationship to ensure 'archived' podcasts never get deleted?

(NB I am on MC 21 if that makes a difference)

Spike

linutic

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 03:14:48 pm »

There is another way to keep podcasts forever.   You can click on the status of any downloaded podcast and it will change status to "keep forever".   This works for all podcasts, no matter where the files reside, so long as they have been imported into Media Center.   The hazard there is that the "keep forever" status is kept in your Media Center library, not in the podcast itself, so that if you were to copy the file again (say to a new directory) and import it again, the "keep forever" status would be lost.

You could still lose podcast episodes in the following scenario:

• You have a collection of podcast files that are eligible to be deleted, but have not been deleted only because of their "keep forever" status.
  • You move the podcast files to a new directory with (for example) Windows Explorer.
  • You import the new directory causing Media Center to discover their podcast tags.
  • Media Center updates the podcast, honors the file tags, and deletes the files.

This won't happen if you move the files with Media Center, since Media Center would retain the "keep forever" status when the files are moved.   However, if for some reason your Media Center library was lost or corrupted, the files would be deleted.

Frankly the original author did not foresee what you wanted to do here, and today there is no foolproof solution I could discover.  The ideal solution would be to somehow change the tags in the file.  Unfortunately, I could not find a way to do this.  You can change most tags in a file, but you cannot delete the Podcast Feed or Podcast Episode tags; this would be a reasonable workaround.  Better would be to have a "keep forever" tag in the file, but this is not a current feature of Media Center.   :(

However, if you are prescient enough to realize your library is lost or corrupted, you can still avoid deleting the files.   The way to do that is to go into the Podcast options menu and tell Media Center not to delete files unless their total size exceeds and unreasonably large number, (999,999 GB).  That will turn off all deletion.  You can then safely do the import.  Instead of deleting the files, Media Center will show their status as "to be deleted".   You then can sort the files by their resident directory, and click on all the "to be deleted" status entries, changing them to "keep forever".  That manual operation complete, you can now go back to the Podcast options menu and restore set the delete size back to something reasonable.

The solution above requires extraordinary diligence by the user, and so it is not really practical.  An alternative, but slightly awkward solution is to leave the delete file size unreasonably high all the time, except for when you find yourself in need of disk space, and then temporarily drop the delete size for a minute or two.  When you drop the delete size, Media Center will immediately honor the request, and then you can raise it back up to your normal high value.

mabel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:29:43 pm »

thanks linutic

i will give that a go instead of deling them from windows explorer.

thanks again

Peter Engrav

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 02:32:59 pm »

Seems like a reasonably well-formed feature would be "please separate this track permanently from all podcast smarts as if it were just a track I ripped of a CD". De-Podcast. Something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up