INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Install Guides Online Training Videos  (Read 2431 times)

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
JRiver Install Guides Online Training Videos
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:58:25 am »

In this 'YouTube' connected world and the old adage that a picture (never mind moving pictures) is worth a 1000 words I'm surprised that the JRiver people don't produce set up/walk through/install/how to videos.

I've been using JRiver for 6 months+ (mainly for audio) and am still learning about it as I've only just scratched the surface of its extensive features/capabilities. It can be very daunting for new users as it is very feature rich and I fear some people (ie customers) may be put off by the steep learning curve.

Some videos/guides/tutorials helped me when I was starting out but surprisingly none of them were produced by JRiver. Some in house guides would surely help reduce time spent on support messages on the forum and attract more custom. . .

These are the ones I used: (they aren't for the latest version of JR but the fundamentals hold up extremely well)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121419.0

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/436-jriver-media-center-17-detail/

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/jriveraudiophile/

I should mention the Wiki. The Wiki is something I use now to delve deep/research into a specific topic but it didn't give me the broad picture/overview I was looking for when just starting out. It, by its very nature, is quite 'wordy' and not easily digestible. I learnt so much more in such a short period of time from the audio circle videos in a much more digestible format. Being able to see what was being talked about (mistakes and all - we all make mistakes!  :) ) in a simple screen capture really taught/showed me a lot about JRiver in just a few 10s of minutes.

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Install Guides Online Training Videos
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 07:22:17 am »

Thanks for posting the links.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 09:21:22 am »

I've been using JRiver for 6 months+ (mainly for audio) and am still learning about it as I've only just scratched the surface of its extensive features/capabilities. It can be very daunting for new users as it is very feature rich and I fear some people (ie customers) may be put off by the steep learning curve.

Yeah, I often think that there needs to be some kind of better introduction to MC because it's so powerful that the basics can get lost in the details.  An in person demonstration is ideal, as it's an interactive process.  Some videos that showed a high level overview of JRiver from several different perspectives might be really useful for potential customers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121419.0

I'm pretty sure that video #2 in the link above is what taught me how to use the Tagging Pane and got me started with the Expression Language.  It's a very good introduction to some semi-advanced topics.  Anyone who hasn't done tagging with MC, or used the expression language should watch that video!

Brian.

Spike1000

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 07:41:47 am »

I was hoping Jim, or someone at JRiver would maybe 'bite' in response to this post and maybe suggest they would do some official 'getting started', walk through and feature/config demonstration/tutorial videos to help users get started for one and then start to lever the power of MC on their own systems. I don't think it would take too many videos to cover the main aspects and surely it would help users (old and new) have a better understanding of the features/power of MC in a very short period of time. . .

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up