INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain Adjustment  (Read 2846 times)

funkyhelmi

• Recent member
Replay Gain Adjustment
« on: October 26, 2015, 05:47:23 am »

Since JR 19 I miss the "Replay Gain Adjustment". I allways used a fixed value of "+6db", because with 83db the music is much too quiet and it is unusable. This is the reason why I am still using JR 18.

Was forgotten this setting, or was it intended? And if it was intended, why?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Replay Gain Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 05:49:57 am »

Replay Gain was replaced by R128 about a year or so ago.

funkyhelmi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:00:37 am »

I don't know what R128 is, but it is much to quiet and unusable. Some tracks are playing with -17db!

funkyhelmi

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 06:21:15 am »

How can I put the volume up?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 06:27:34 am »

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:01:47 am »

The setting right below Volume Leveling is called Adaptive Volume.  Turn on Adaptive Volume and make sure it is set to "Peak Level Normalize" mode.  That will bring back a lot of the lost volume that Volume Leveling pulled down.  The two together (Volume Leveling, and Adaptive Volume) seem to bring tracks to within about 6 or 8 dB of their native levels.

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 11:53:40 am »

There are 3 ways to compensate for this

1- turn up the volume (of course ;) ), if you are running to a preamp or receiver

2- do what Brian suggested using Adaptive Volume - however this may or may not be what you want.  read this => http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Adaptive_Volume

3- In the EQ under DSP studio you can boost the pre-amp volume 4 to 6 db (or more at your risk ;) ). Careful though as this can push the music into clipping. In this case adaptive volume would be off. If the EQ is not flat, like you already boosted some frequencies ... the preamp gain boost will be too much so experiment with low volumes first

I find it handy to  create a separate zone or two for volume levling playback. That way you don't have to re-configure all the time, as when you are only listening by album you want to maintain the dynamics of the cd probably. Where as a random playlist, that's not terribly important
Pages: [1]   Go Up