INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Television recording while not logged in  (Read 3367 times)

MrGadget

• Recent member
JRiver Television recording while not logged in
« on: November 06, 2015, 10:38:07 am »

My understanding is that if I have set Tools/Options/Startup/Windows Startup to Run Media Server, JRiver will run scheduled recording. What I have found is that this is not the case. Unless I am logged in and have the JRiver program running, recording never starts. This becomes a problem when the computer is restarted (after a windows update, or a power interuption).  Are my expectations incorrect?  A friend and I moved from Windows Media Center 3 months ago and we are both seeing this behavior.

Configuration:
Windows 10 64-bit (Home and Pro versions)
JRiver 21.0.15
Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Dual tuner

***UPDATE***
Recording TV reguires that someone be logged into the machine running JRiver by design. The best work-around suggested is to use Auto Login. For Windows users see the article "How to Make Your Windows 10, 8, or 7 PC Logon Automatically" at http://www.howtogeek.com/112919/how-to-make-your-windows-8-computer-logon-automatically/

Thanks to all who responded to my post with suggestions!  With the release of Window 10 free upgrades, users of Windows Media Center will be looking for alternatives, and in my opinion JRiver is the best overall replacement with a few exceptions such as TV recording.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem: JRiver Television recording while not logged in
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 10:42:21 am »

Is Media Server running?  The correct version? 

Maybe some security software (antivirus, etc.) is causing trouble. 

JimH

• Administrator

MrGadget

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 01:29:25 pm »

I installed version 21.0.17 as suggested and the problem remains.  The JRiver service is running, but nothing records until I open the console.  I will move testing to a machine with a clean Win10 build with no additional software installed in order to rule out any conflicts. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 02:25:35 pm »

Is Media Server running?

This might help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 03:11:41 pm »

You have to be logged in, but as long as media server is running, you don't have to have the application open.

For me, I just enabled auto log in for when there was a power failure.  If you are concerned about security, you could always create a task to lock the screen right after log in.  I have done that on some work PC's that needed to run some apps on boot.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 03:24:33 pm »

I confirm that Media Server will only run after log in.  It requires access to the library and settings data which are all tied to a user. 

muzicman0:

Thanks for the suggestion of auto login and lock screen task.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 03:50:51 pm »

no problem...hopefully it will buy me some good will for my subscription change request (adding Season as an available criteria for subscriptions!)  ;D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:49:40 pm »

Yep, I use auto-login for my HTPC, but as added protection I use a normal User ID, not a Power User or Administrator.

I don't bother with locking the screen though, as I want people to be able to just reboot the HTPC and have it start up in MC Theatre View, without users needing to know any passwords.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 10:39:21 am »

no problem...hopefully it will buy me some good will for my subscription change request (adding Season as an available criteria for subscriptions!)  ;D

I think it is a good idea and I will add that.  My only concern is that it might give people a false sense that season number is always available.

By the way, I merged your thread on MC21 board to another thread on Television board.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101198.msg702135#msg702135

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up