INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just installed all my music into mc18 and I have......  (Read 6473 times)

matt00

• Recent member
I just installed all my music into mc18 and I have......
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:16:13 pm »

Help,
I just installed all 500gb of my music from an external hard drive (H) to my internal drive (D) However, I have duplicates of all my music.
it shows both H & D paths.
How did this happen? How do I erase all duplicates showing on my H drive path? ?

Thanks,
Matt

matt00

• Recent member
Re: I just installed all my music into mc18 and I have......
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 06:50:10 pm »

This is very strange...Now half of my music collection is saved in H Drive path (this is my external drive) and the other half is saved in D drive. The intended
drive I wanted all my music in. Need help....whats the best whats to fix this. I want all my music in the D drive.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 08:03:21 pm »

If you copied everything from the H: drive to the D: drive and then disconnected the H: drive, MC is currently going through your library and is fixing broken links. Eventually you will have all your music on the D: drive as you want. If you moved all your music from the H: to the D: drive, you should see the same result.

If you left both drives connected after copying everything from H: to D:, and then had MC scan both locations, then off course you will get duplicates, as you have duplicates MC can see!

What you should have done was turn off Auto-Import in MC, then copy everything from H: to D: and disconnect H:, then use the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" function for all music files, with the top drop down set to "Update database to point to new location", then with Directories and Filename unticked, tick "Find & Replace" and set "Find What" to the base music path on the H: drive, and "Replace With" to the base music path on the D: drive. i.e. If you are using the same directory path on the H: and D: drive, then you could have set "Find What" to "H:" and "Replace With" to "D:". Or you may need to include more information if you changed paths. i.e. "H:\My old directory\music" to "D:\My new directory\music".

Once that was run, you would reconfigure Auto-Import to look at the new base music directory on the D: drive, make sure that the H: drive isn't looked at any more, and turn Auto-Import back on. You could then reconnect your H: drive without MC searching it again and re-importing any files on it.

But, as you have done half the task, and it is probably still in progress, let it finish and see what happens. You may need to do nothing. Whatever you do, don't start erasing anything. That will just make things a lot worse. If MC doesn't sort itself out now, come back and ask again how to fix it.

If you do need more help, please explain if you copied or moved the files, what your settings are for Auto-Import (what directories are looked at for music), and exactly what you did when you "installed all 500 GB of your music".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 01:05:51 am »

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".

matt00

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 08:40:44 am »

I now see its the drive path that is not correct...I have 33GB of music on my D drive which is what I wanted,
but the rest of my cd collection 440gb is on the (H) drive....How can I change all this at once? I need to move everything to
the (D) drive without the duplicates that I have?  

Thanks,

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 09:00:49 am »

I now see its the drive path that is not correct...I have 33GB of music on my D drive which is what I wanted,
but the rest of my cd collection 440gb is on the (H) drive....How can I change all this at once? I need to move everything to
the (D) drive without the duplicates that I have?  

Thanks,

Hopefully my response here will help you out:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101902.msg706930#msg706930
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

matt00

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 09:07:11 am »

Quick question, what is the best why to choose the songs in the directory. Basically, How do i get to the directory.

matt00

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 09:58:11 am »

Here is my problem...I have 440gb of music with this path for example.....H:\38special\Flashback; The Best Of .38 Special\01 .38 - Back to paradise
but I need it in my D Drive path.
I have 33gb like this, the correct drive path..............D:\Music\NSYNC\No Strings Attached\09-NSYNC-Bye Bye Bye

My (H) drive is an external hard drive. What is the best way to fix this. I'm not an expert at this, I need step by step instructions.

Thanks so much,
Matt

matt00

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 01:05:08 pm »

How do I get a bunch of files into Library tools?

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 04:57:02 pm »

You can use Rename, Move, and Copy files on a group of files pretty easily.  Just go to a view that shows them.  Then highlight the files.  (Right click) > Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy files.

However, I'm unclear on exactly the state of your library and disk.

1.  You have library entries pointing to D: and H: .  Are these entries pointing to files?  Or are some of the entries wrong and don't point to files? 
2.  Do you want to have copies of all files on D: and H:?  (like for backup purposes).  I know you only want one copy in your library:  You want everything on H: and for the library to show that.  Which leads to...
3.  What files are on D?  What files are on H?  I don't need a list, I just need to know if you have all files in both locations, some in both locations, etc.  If it's anything other than a very simple answer, it might be helpful to know how you ended up with your files in various locations.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up