INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Television Improvements required after the 21.0.54 release  (Read 5642 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Television Improvements required after the 21.0.54 release
« on: March 08, 2016, 12:20:07 pm »

21.0.54 (3/1/2016)
5. Changed: When HD or SD preference is not specified, MC will favor Favorite channels when dealing with subscription TV recordings.  For channels with identical favorite status, the custom channel ordering is used to pick a channel.
Not sure I understand the need for this one as a user could just select the specific (HD or SD) channel for that subscription...Unless I'm missing something...
21.0.51 (2/25/2016)
7. Changed: Confusing error message when "Next" was clicked in remote control options window, if you were missing a blaster capable "transceiver", it used the word "receiver" rather than "transceiver".
Only 2 changes for television  :-[ ...I was hoping for a few more...Hopefully in the next version ;).

I won't complain 2 of my other requests were fulfilled for audio thank you!!!

Based on the latest version and a lot more hours using MC 100% of the time for TV here is my priority list (past 21.0.54) ... Others feel free to put your own list in this post!!

1. Resolve Sporadic issue where the Hauppage Blaster will stop sending IR commands: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103472.msg720033#msg720033
2. Dedicated Service for TV recording or make TV recordings less susceptible to the GUI hanging or crashing: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103553.msg719554#msg719554, http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103143.msg718240#msg718240
3. Respect Tuner Priority from both the Managed device list and preferred tuner even when tuners are in use ESPECIALLY for recordings. (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102954.msg714775#msg714775)
4. Checkbox to Load Local library by default: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103629.msg720089#msg720089
5. Commercial skip timelines: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96783.msg719627#msg719627
6. Multiple recording folders for TV
7. Ability to go back a few days in theater view guide.
8. For subscriptions please combine "by search rules" and "by time" as it would make it a lot more flexible to adjust subscriptions : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103024.msg715336#msg715336
9. In standard Television view in the drop down for days go up to 21 days (and keep the last 2 days back this is handy)
10. Resolve the Load Program Guide issue : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103516.msg720138#msg720138
11. Clarify or resolve XMLTV profile issues where the full command line is required for it to work properly : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102892.msg720071#msg720071

imeric

• MC Beta Team
Re: Television Improvements required after the 21.0.54 release
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 12:35:32 pm »

I forgot one:
Let's say 3.5... TV Recording log detailing recording failures or recording conflicts.
(Unable to tune the channel, crash, no cards available to record etc..)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 01:14:18 pm »

You'v got quite a list.  Patience please  ;D

1.  I have been looking into this one, but have not been successful.  :(

2.  I had discussed this internally with some members of JRiver quite some time ago.  It is not feasible at this time.

7.  I do not know if this one will be easy.  If it is not easy, I am not sure if the effort is worth the benefit.  So this one will be on the back burner for now.

8.  The two methods coexist for a reason.  Unless there is a really compelling argument for a change, I will not make any.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 02:35:04 pm »

You'v got quite a list.  Patience please  ;D
And I do appreciate all the hard work that's being put in TV..Hey I'm using it over Sage now so this should mean a lot  ;D
1.  I have been looking into this one, but have not been successful.  :(
...And I wish I could find how to reproduce...I'll keep a close eye on this one and hopefully get you some more logs or how to reproduce.
2.  I had discussed this internally with some members of JRiver quite some time ago.  It is not feasible at this time.
In the meantime I made my HTPC log in automatically.  Not the best and secure alternative but it works. But this will only address a PC restart..  In the short term can we look at workarounds or scripts to make MC restart on its own after a crash?
7.  I do not know if this one will be easy.  If it is not easy, I am not sure if the effort is worth the benefit.  So this one will be on the back burner for now.
This was very useful in Sage. But not a show stopper either so this can wait:)...
8.  The two method coexist for a reason.  Unless there is a really compelling argument for a change, I will not make any.
I don't seem to have issues with my subscriptions so I can workaround it no problem so not that critical... However I would love to have a bit more flexibility for when the recordings happen and the way it's laid out in "By time only" would be a nice addition.
It Leaves me wondering why the "time only" option would even be required? Let's say you don't have EPG info, everything could still be done within the same page...  A user would just leave the Rules field empty if no EPG is present...
...I maybe missing something else here...
This is my compelling argument  ;)...But yes it can wait.  If I have ideas on how to implement or a specific case where I can't subscribe how I want I'll let you know.

Thx for the response Yaobing...Much appreciated and keep up the good work  ;)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 07:24:27 am »

My list:

1 = Stop all further "enhancements" and do what ever it takes to get the tv recording engine 100% crash/hang proof.

2 through 15 = Repeat number 1.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 08:54:44 am »

21.0.62 (3/18/2016)

3. Fixed: No video on screen for Hauppauge HD PVR series of devices since build 56.

21.0.60 (3/17/2016)

1. Fixed: Visualizations didn't update properly when switching tracks (only applies to the last few builds).

21.0.59 (3/17/2016)

4. Changed: When switching channels while watching TV live, the existing tuner will not be used if the new channel prefers another device, or if the current device is preferred by other channels than the new channel.
5. Changed: When doing TV tuner device sorting, the tuners that are preferred by some channels will be put to the bottom of the list to avoid them being picked up by channels that do not have a preferred device.

21.0.58 (3/14/2016)
5. Changed: When a channel-changing call into Hauppauge's IRbast API fails, we will recreate and retry.

THANK YOU THANK YOU AND THANK YOU!!!!  I can't wait to try out the 2 tuner priority ones.  These were important to me!!!

For this: 8. NEW: In Theater View television guide, a vertical line is drawn to indicate current time.

I would have preferred to see my few hours/days back in the Theater view guide as it would be more helpful (for me...) but hey...  This will be a nice addition too !!!

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 07:49:54 am »

I've been playing with the tuner priority feature and it works great!!! This makes MC a lot more reliable for recordings!!
(As I wrote in other posts not all tuner cards are created equal...Some a lot more sensitive than others...And I'm only talking about hauppage cards here.)
One thing though while testing MC still doesn't handle well channels with poor reception...To the point you think MC may have crashed.  It just hangs on the image of the previous strong channel with sound skipping.  You can get out of it though by just switching to a strong channel...

Yaobing if you need log files on this let me know.  A fix could be to show the no signal message a little more "aggressively"?

greynolds

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 07:50:15 pm »

21.0.54 (3/1/2016)

5. Changed: When HD or SD preference is not specified, MC will favor Favorite channels when dealing with subscription TV recordings.  For channels with identical favorite status, the custom channel ordering is used to pick a channel.
I'm not sure if this is working correctly, or it could be that I'm not understanding the intent.

Due to the issues with Rovi that seem to keep happening every few weeks, I switched over to PercData last night (that was fun because I had to redo all the channel selections in my recording rules - almost all of them reset to no channel selected, not even the All Channels option, so very few things were initially scheduled to record until I fixed the recording rules).

After switching over to PercData, I'm seeing multiple occurrences in the To Be Recorded list for several shows, most notably recordings for my favorite example: Bruins NHL games.  The game that's on right now is on both NESN (the local sports channel that covers the Bruins) and NBCSN and both scheduled to record, despite having the same program id (I checked in my custom guide view, which shows the program id).  In addition, 2 replays are scheduled to record tomorrow, and those also have the same program id as the original showings.  None of these have the repeat flag set.

Similarly, Saturday's game is currently showing up to be recorded 3 times (12:30PM on Saturday, 5PM on Saturday, and 12AM on Sunday) and all 3 of those also have the same program id and none are flagged as repeats.

Prior to the switch, I wasn't getting recordings of replays, but probably because they were marked as repeats.

On Monday night, Bates Motel is scheduled to record at 9PM and 11:02PM, both with the same program id and neither is marked as a repeat.  The same thing is happening the following Monday with the next episode.  This particular situation isn't new after switching over the PercData.

Recording duplicate episodes is obviously better than missing the show, but my CableCard tuners aren't an unlimited resource.

1) Ideally, I'd like MC to attempt to record the first instance of a show and only record another instance of the show if the initial recording failed whether it be because there weren't enough tuners available, the PC rebooted, the signal was lost, or any other error occurred.

2) If the same show is on 2 different channels at the same time, the HD/SD preference and custom channel ordering should determine which instance is recorded.  Even better allow the channels that are configured in the recording rule to be ordered by the user and use that as the first level, use the HD/SD preference next, and finally the custom channel ordering.  This way different custom ordering of channels could be used for each recording rule, if needed.  There would be no harm in including an option to record all showings, so the user can get that if they really want it.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 08:03:02 pm »

I think Greynolds and I are refering to the same issue in a different way. See my post here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103657.msg727048#msg727048

And we may not be interested in the same teams :):)...

greynolds

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 08:20:51 pm »

I think Greynolds and I are refering to the same issue in a different way. See my post here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103657.msg727048#msg727048
Yes, that looks like the same issue.

And we may not be interested in the same teams :):)...
Could be, but it looks like the same problem exists no matter what team you're cheering for. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up