INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Denon receiver problem  (Read 6053 times)

Ambler1980

• Recent member
New Denon receiver problem
« on: March 11, 2016, 02:46:41 pm »

I just got a new Denon receiver that I am using primarily for headphone use.  I have an HP DV6 laptop and am using the HDMI out into the Denon receiver, but cannot hear any audio.

I tried turning on bitstreaming, and switching to JRiver in ASIO4All setup, but nothing.  Any ideas? 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New Denon receiver problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 04:10:10 pm »

Please try the Audio Setup page on our wiki.  You may need to select the audio device.

ASIO4all is Kernel Streaming, so you might use Kernel Streaming.  Start with DirectSound, then WASAPI.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 10:17:32 pm »

Apparently my receiver can't process audio over HDMI  :(

RD James

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 03:23:53 am »

If it's a new receiver it will definitely support audio over HDMI.
Check the Sound Control Panel in Windows and see what audio devices are listed. One of them should be your HDMI device.

You shouldn't be using ASIO4All with JRiver, select the WASAPI HDMI device.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 04:36:34 pm »

For some reason there is no choice for waspi in MC... ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 06:51:21 pm »

Try changing the device you've chosen in MC's Audio settings.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 07:10:17 pm »

The only wasapi I see is for my computer's sound card (IDT high Definition Audio codec).  It is not recognizing my receiver (Denon AVR 689) when connected via HDMI.

RD James

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 04:24:54 am »

Is there a display connected to the AVR?
Is your computer able to send video to it?

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 06:20:12 am »

What Denon receiver model do you have. I have recently purchased a Denon AVRX2200W receiver and I have audio playing fine over HDMI.

I'm not at home at the moment but when I am I will check the settings I am using and post back. Hopefully we can get this sorted for you.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 08:59:06 am »

In my experience you need to attach a TV or a display to the HDMI-out on your AVR. Otherwise the AVR will not present its audio device to your computer and you are unable to select it.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 09:10:47 am »

Receivers often have a setup option that tells it how to identify itself for its HDMI inputs, either as the receiver or as what is connected to the HDMI out. See if there is such an option on your receiver. MC imay be seeing whatever is connected to HDMI out. You can try unplugging the HDMI out cable and see if MC sees the receiver. If it does, see if their is an option in Setup. Simply turning off the TV will not help, since the receiver sees the TV EDID data even when the TV is off. 

Receivers also often have an option as to whether audio should go to the HDMI out (TV) or be played by the receiver.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 10:09:48 am »

I bought this strictly as a headphone amp, and don't have a TV in my room.  I plan on getting one at some point.  It's not a huge deal because I have an external DAC between the computer and the receiver and am using AUX inputs on the receiver to hear audio.  I just wanted to see what the DAC inside the receiver was like by bypassing my external DAC and going straight into it with HDMI.  I guess it does not allow audio only HDMI. 

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 10:23:05 am »

My Denon AVR can certainly play audio without a TV being connected. I think that the problem is more likely to be the drivers on the PC itself.

Firstly you need to make sure that the HDMI display audio is showing in the list of 'Sound, video & game controllers' in 'Device Manager'. I don't know if it is an Intel or AMD chipset in your laptop but regardless you should still have an entry for it.

If that is not present then there you won't get any HDMI audio and it is possibly a graphics driver issue.

Assuming this is present correctly then you need to check the available playback devices. Goto the speaker icon in the taskbar, right click and select 'Playback devices'.

You should see something like this:

Make sure that the DENON-AVR is in the list and make it the default. It may not be neccesary to make it the default but for the purposes of troubleshooting I think it is worthwhile.

Once again, if this entry is not present then you won't get HDMI audio.

Assuming this is cerrect then goto MC options and you should be able to select the following:

Hopefully this helps you out. If I can be of any more help just ask.

Russell

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 11:28:23 am »

Intel Display Audio was not present in the device manager  :(

I have the AMD chipset.

I do see "AMD High Definition Audio Device" and "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC"

My receiver does not show up in Playback devices either.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 12:20:08 pm »

I downloaded the latest AMD drivers and now I do see a space for a device "digital display audio", but it says it is not plugged in (it is plugged in).

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 12:26:22 pm »

I also found this forum about my specific receiver...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=100487

Appears it does not allow audio only HDMI.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 12:31:18 pm »

Also found this in a review of my receiver...

"Directly from the manual:
NOTE: The audio signal input to the HDMI input connector cannot be played on the AVR-689.  Input the audio signal to the digital audio input connector or analog audio input connector"

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/receivers/a-secrets-receiver-review83/

Thankfully I only paid $140 for this receiver on craigslist and am still able to use it as an amp via AUX inputs.  I was just curious about its DAC performance.  Oh well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up