INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Audio Interface the same as the desktop  (Read 4122 times)

jdieter

• Recent member
Wireless Audio Interface the same as the desktop
« on: August 13, 2016, 09:19:12 am »

I've got MC21 to manage my 5G of audio files on a computer in my shop that is part of a hardwired home network with my wife's computer in the house. I've got a stereo system on our patio that I'd like to play my audio library through as simple as it is on my shop desktop. I've used the Gizmo app on my android phone to access my audio library via wifi and blue tooth it to the patio stereo. This works ok but my audio library is over 5G and using my android phone to access the library is painful to say the least, I can only see a handful of files at a time and scrolling through 100K of files in 8K of folders  on a smartphone is impossible.  I'm completely happy with access to the library from my shop desktop. How can I duplicate the desktop interface on my patio. My dream solution is a wireless interface like maybe a larger tablet or smaller notepad pc to pick through the 5G library and have the same latency and screens as the shop desktop computer. I have no problem adding a patio computer to the home network for audio input to the patio stereo if that provides a better solution.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wireless Audio Interface the same as the desktop
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:07:56 am »

Why are you browsing by folders?  Why not browse by genre, artist, or album?  Or build playlists on the server and play those on the phone.  Or use Play Doctor to generate lists.

You could certainly use a computer instead of a phone.  The possibilities are in the Media Network topic on our wiki.

DJLegba

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 12:05:25 pm »

Run JRemote on a tablet. Read the threads on setting up a Chromecast Audio device for the patio. I believe you'll like the combo. Browsing through a large collection works well in JRemote, even on a phone.

jdieter

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 01:46:45 pm »

I didn't mean to say I was browsing folders and files, just used that as an expression for the quantity of music I have to search.

jdieter

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 01:48:02 pm »

Isn't JRRemote what I'm using when I use the Gizmo app on my phone?

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 01:56:37 pm »

No. Gizmo isn't bad, and it's free. JRemote is better, but you have to buy it from the app store.

jdieter

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:33:05 am »

OK, thanks, $10 from Google Apps for JRemote so I'll give it a try on my phone. If it's not too painful I'll buy a dedicated pad to use on the patio. Also going to look into Chromecast Audio.

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 10:39:53 am »

Although JRemote is better than Gizmo for finding things in your collection, I could never get it to play more than one track to my Android phone without stopping. That's one reason I looked into the Chromecast Audio. The combination of JRemote and the CCA on the patio is great.

jdieter

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 01:40:45 pm »

JRemote was better than Gizmo on my Android phone. I don't need Chromecast, my outdoor stereo is Bluetooth compatible and also have a Bluetooth soundbar on the outside tv. I loaded JRiver on my wife's' notepad PC and also like that in the party mode for a wireless solution although the notebook is a little hefty to move around. Gonna look for an low dollar notepad to dedicated to patio. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up