INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scrambled tracks  (Read 6434 times)

Cruce

• Recent member
Scrambled tracks
« on: August 24, 2016, 08:53:25 am »

I'm an old codger newbie, so the answer to my question may be absurdly simple but.....I'm ripping a two disc album, then combining the two MC folders into one.  I follow (I think) the procedures outlined in previous forum responses:  Merge the two folders in Finder.  Change track listings so the tracks from both cds are in sequence.  Import the new file (I've been using the "Import Single Folder" option.)  Then make sure the album tags are named the same.  Everything works fine, except the tracks are scrambled on the MC folders.  When I "locate" the files from MC, the tracks are correct in Finder.  I'm assuming that there's an issue with the file designation, but I can't find it.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Scrambled tracks
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:32:21 am »

I'm not totally following you, but see a few responses below.

Merge the two folders in Finder.

When you rip the CDs just put them in the same folder.  This isn't even strictly necessary; it's just for good on-disk organization.  MC doesn't care.

Change track listings so the tracks from both cds are in sequence.

As long as your ripping software numbers the tracks in each CD like 1, 2, 3, etc, you should be fine.  Then, either in your ripping software OR in MC, change the Disc # field for each CD.  The first CD gets a disc # of 1.  The second CD gets Disc # = 2, etc.

Then make sure the album tags are named the same.

This is the most important part:  Making the album name the same groups them as one album inside MC.

Everything works fine, except the tracks are scrambled on the MC folders.

I know you're seeing something out of order, but I can't tell what.  How about a screen shot?

How to make a screen shot on a Mac:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Brian.

Cruce

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:42:46 am »

Thanks.  This should work.

Cruce

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 03:47:29 pm »

Thanks.  This has been really helpful.  Now the tracks of each CD are listed correctly. But playback (and I've done this with several sets of 2-CD works) now begins with disc 2, although I've entered the disc number correctly in the tag CD# field.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 05:08:23 pm »

How are you starting playback?  Double clicking on track #1, disc #1 should start playback there and continue as normal.

Brian.

Cruce

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 05:38:00 pm »

I've been simply clicking on the album cover icon and then clicking on play--and then it starts on the first track of disc 2--which is the first track of the file listing at the bottom of the MC album view screen.  (The track listing of the combined tracks on the hard drive is correct.)To click on the first track of disc 1 I'd have to scroll down half way.  Which is doable, but awkward.  Admittedly, I'm absolutely new at this, so I may be doing something incorrect that for someone experienced would be self-evident.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 05:44:23 pm »

I've been simply clicking on the album cover icon and then clicking on play--and then it starts on the first track of disc 2--which is the first track of the file listing at the bottom of the MC album view screen.

Ok, that's the problem:  The file list order is "wrong" because it starts with disc 2.  You've probably accidentally clicked one of the columns to make it sort funny.  You can make it sort by a set of built in defaults with the Sort menu.  The menu is at the top of the file listing. There's a little tiny down arrow next to the title just above the track listing.  Click that arrow and you'll find a sort menu.  Choose default.

Or you may have group by turned off accidentally.  Group By is on the same pull down menu.  Set it to Album and that should work for you.

Brian.

Cruce

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 07:34:45 pm »

I've got to go do less important things, but from the few minutes I've played with the file adjustments, I think this is going to work.
Thanks loads.

Cruce

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 04:55:40 pm »

Everything's working fine.  What I'm enjoying so far--with each problem I'm encountering, no matter how frustrating at first, I'm learning more and more about what MC can do.  Thanks.  (Until next time.)

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 05:00:08 pm »

That's great to hear.  :)

Brian.

Cruce

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 09:30:33 am »

Back again.  Things working fine with multi-cd albums.  But now, only with some single disc albums I'm getting duplication of tracks (i.e., 1,1,2,2, usually correct order after that.)  I'm assuming I've got something wrong in my file configuration down at the bottom of the screen.  On the menu brought up by the little arrow by the album file name I've tried selecting both "album," then "none," in Group By.  In the Columns menu I've selected "Track #". Also, when I click "Track #" on the actual file listing grid, I've tried selecting both "Sort Inside by Track #" and also "Sort All Folders by Track #."  And I still get the repetition.  Is there something I should have done in the actual ripping process?
As I've mentioned, this doesn't happen on all the cd rips.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 09:55:01 am »

But now, only with some single disc albums I'm getting duplication of tracks (i.e., 1,1,2,2, usually correct order after that.)

This is usually caused by duplicate albums.  Possibly in different formats.  Probably in different directories.  Go to your file listing with one of these problem albums and look at the filename column.  If it's not there, right click on the column headers and add it in.

You will probably find that you have the same album in two different places and MC is (correctly) grouping them all together, because they are the same album.  You can remove the duplicates you don't want, or rename the album name to something unique.  Or maybe another solution depending on your exact issue.

Brian.

Cruce

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 10:20:40 am »

That seems to be it.  Once again, Thanks.
Cruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up